2016-2017 NFL Thread

I really did not like the John Fox hire although I kind of halfheartedly agreed he was the best option in that market (on paper). But I really thought he would be better at managing the team Monday-Saturday than he has been, even if he's exactly the disaster of an in-game coach as I thought he was. This team looks worse than last year's team did in September, not better. Going with Loggains after Gase was promoted out of his job is a total bust, and one of his strengths is supposed to be hiring assistants. Fangio's defense can probably get an "incomplete" due to the injuries.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Again, this is John Fox and the NFL we are talking about. Processing available information to depart from traditional strategy is not an option. Look how long it has taken to finally get coaches to go for it on 4th and inches.

Marc Trestman of all people actually had a pretty decent grasp of this. (except that one time he kicked a FG on 3rd down, the f*** was that)

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
Fox is overrated

Absolutely. Gase has no track record of success though. His offense was fine last year but it wasn't an all time great offense. Most of their best plays came from Cutler making something happen after the play broke down. Gase is perfectly qualified to be a HC. I'll never be upset that he's not the HC in Chicago though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Absolutely. Gase has no track record of success though. His offense was fine last year but it wasn't an all time great offense. Most of their best plays came from Cutler making something happen after the play broke down. Gase is perfectly qualified to be a HC. I'll never be upset that he's not the HC in Chicago though.

The biggest difference between Gase and Loggains to my eyes is that Gase had a solid grasp of the basics of running a NFL offense. He didn't have much to work with due to all the injuries, so his offense was simplistic, but he at least tried to get some matchup advantages, use WR routes to spring other WRs open, etc. Loggains does none of that. He calls plays from the same playbook like he's playing Madden. "Ok time for a running play... wait I just did that, let's see if a crossing route will work... nope... damn, time to punt already?"

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Fox won't get fired. If anything, the personnel just isn't there. This mess is on Pace.

No, this mess is on Emery and Angelo more than Pace. Biggs was saying this morning that the only players from the Emery drafting era that could be on the team next season are Leno, Jeffrey and Long. You cant judge Pace's drafts yet

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
No, this mess is on Emery and Angelo more than Pace. Biggs was saying this morning that the only players from the Emery drafting era that could be on the team next season are Leno, Jeffrey and Long. You cant judge Pace's drafts yet

On the other hand, they decided to go 3-4, which certainly killed ego ferguson and sutton's value in the scheme. The Bears are not much different than a expansion team at this point for how much turnover they've had.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
On the other hand, they decided to go 3-4, which certainly killed ego ferguson and sutton's value in the scheme. The Bears are not much different than a expansion team at this point for how much turnover they've had.

So, are you saying they should have stayed 4-3 in order to preserve Ferguson and Suttons value?

edit: nm i see what you are saying. Still though, the Bears switched schemes because they deemed all of their (at that point) current parts to be completely replaceable. Which hasnt been proven wrong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

This. I've been reading this thread over the past few days and am in disbelief that people actually think Pace and Fox are the problem. This is Year 2. They inherited a horrific roster devoid of talent.

Now, I do have a problem with Pace's selection (and trading up at that) of Floyd in the 1st round. I thought it was a horrible pick. But I'm rooting for the kid because we desperately need him to pan out.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
This. I've been reading this thread over the past few days and am in disbelief that people actually think Pace and Fox are the problem. This is Year 2. They inherited a horrific roster devoid of talent.

Now, I do have a problem with Pace's selection (and trading up at that) of Floyd in the 1st round. I thought it was a horrible pick. But I'm rooting for the kid because we desperately need him to pan out.

I don't think Fox is "the problem," I just never liked him. I still won't if the Bears win 11 games next year.

Pace is not the problem though. He has added a lot of talent to the roster but at the same time, he's cleaned out the best offensive players for various reasons (deemed Marshall and Bennett to be cancers, didn't want to pay Forte his market value at his age). He's totally revamped the front 7, but so many of those guys got injured.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)

I don't disagree with this point, either, but we can't go and re-fire Emery on this. I don't believe anyone is currently fireable at this very moment.

Edit: maybe just Loggains.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't disagree with this point, either, but we can't go and re-fire Emery on this. I don't believe anyone is currently fireable at this very moment.

Edit: maybe just Loggains.

I agree, I'm just saying that this mess is not on Pace. The cleanup, that's on Pace

Are we really talking about s***canning John Fox when we all know this roster is in shambles and no one had a clue who was starting on defense last week? They ditch Forte, Marshall, the Black Unicorn and all their big offseason defensive moves go down, and you want to fire the guy?

Calm the f*** down. We all knew this was going to be a s*** year. Now maybe with the injuries we can luck into a franchise-altering quarterback, let Fox build us to respectable, and then fire his ass and get the guy who can take over and lead us to a title.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
So, are you saying they should have stayed 4-3 in order to preserve Ferguson and Suttons value?

edit: nm i see what you are saying. Still though, the Bears switched schemes because they deemed all of their (at that point) current parts to be completely replaceable. Which hasnt been proven wrong

Just saying that the climb from Emery is even harder because some of the decisions they made, Emery didn't draft for a 3-4 so his record will look even worse. But, also I don't think Ego is signed anywhere else anyway. Emery didn't draft for a zbs. And the bears coaches decided to go that route even though they know they had no fit.

They may very well have made a good decision long term but it makes Emery look worse than if a 4-3 coach came in.

As a general rule of thumb, coaches hired to rebuild should get 3 years, unless it's obvious it's not going to work out like in a Trestman-like nuclear meltdown scenario. Teams that fire sooner than 3 years tend to be perennially incompetent teams like the Bucs, Browns, or the Raiders from when Al Davis was still around. GMs should get longer than that, about 5 or 6 years. Had Emery not failed so spectacularly by hiring Trestman and had it not been compounded by passing over the obviously-superior candidate in Arians (who is also much better than the coach he interimed for), he would probably still be this team's GM.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
AND WE ALL AGREE: UNLESS THIS HITS TRESTMANIAN LEVEL DISASTER, WE ALL SHALL STAND BACK AND WAIT FOR BETTER TO HAPPEN

(except fathom and jenks who have their finger on the ejection button)

I don't think Fox should be fired unless this team starts losing every game 40-10

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
AND WE ALL AGREE: UNLESS THIS HITS TRESTMANIAN LEVEL DISASTER, WE ALL SHALL STAND BACK AND WAIT FOR BETTER TO HAPPEN

(except fathom and jenks who have their finger on the ejection button)

Yes but fully on board with #canloggains

#loggainunsuccessful

#loggaindenied