Robin Ventura should be fired today

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
You're right it is quite an experience working in that league. It was worth the experience and really wasn't all that "unsafe." I did it in the early 90's and had a blast and it got me full season work. I would highly recommend it for someone looking to break into professional sports. Although, in the medical field I don't recommend baseball, way, way too many hours for the pay.

Yeah, you definitely change your perspective as life goes on...from a 23 or 24 year old who had only been to Canada and Mexico, to having since lived and worked in Colombia, Thailand, the Philippines, South Korea, Indonesia and China (basically the last decade), I would have done that in a heartbeat!!! I wasn't super confident in my Spanish (three years in high school, two semesters in univ) but it would have been an amazing experience, and had a lot higher likelihood of leading to major league work of some kind than laboring in the minors and doing sales/marketing/PR.

At any rate, your perspective also changes dramatically when you have a child, too. Things that sound like great adventures for a single person aren't such great ideas for fathers responsible for their families.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 08:48 PM)
Yeah, you definitely change your perspective as life goes on...from a 23 or 24 year old who had only been to Canada and Mexico, to having since lived and worked in Colombia, Thailand, the Philippines, South Korea, Indonesia and China (basically the last decade), I would have done that in a heartbeat!!! I wasn't super confident in my Spanish (three years in high school, two semesters in univ) but it would have been an amazing experience, and had a lot higher likelihood of leading to major league work of some kind than laboring in the minors and doing sales/marketing/PR.

At any rate, your perspective also changes dramatically when you have a child, too. Things that sound like great adventures for a single person aren't such great ideas for fathers responsible for their families.

This is what lead me to leave the pro sports life. It's fun single but not good for family life, especially baseball.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
Managers are so ridiculously scapegoated. It doesn't help that there's an endless supply of rubes who think that changing the guy who pencils in the lineup will automatically make the pitchers get hitters out and the hitters hit with runners in scoring position.

I was under the impression managers actually conducted and oversaw events called practices where they went over hitting, fielding, pitching, bunting, and real game situations to help the players get better. Guess I was wrong.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I was under the impression managers actually conducted and oversaw events called practices where they went over hitting, fielding, pitching, bunting, and real game situations to help the players get better. Guess I was wrong.
Great post.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)

Maybe we should just give the job to Tom Emanski and Fred McGriff. They have some pretty cool instructional/coaching videos in the 1990's.

BRING BACK CAMP CORA OR DYE TRYING!!!

P.S. Sandor and Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane as manager and hitting coach would at least scare the living hell out of the opposition. Are they currently available?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)

Here's an idea.. .just throwing it out there.. how about the Sox acquire players who already possess those skills, or develop players to acquire those skills?

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)

Huh??? You are kidding I assume. Read Francona's book on the years he managed the Red Sox

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
Here's an idea.. .just throwing it out there.. how about the Sox acquire players who already possess those skills, or develop players to acquire those skills?

Unfortunately in baseball as in many other sports, fundamental skills have gone by the wayside in favor of an attitude of "what will get me on ESPN highlights?"

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Unfortunately in baseball as in many other sports, fundamental skills have gone by the wayside in favor of an attitude of "what will get me on ESPN highlights?"

Mark

not only that but players are coming to the MLB with less games in the MILB in many cases. The learning in the MILB hasn't occurred.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
not only that but players are coming to the MLB with less games in the MILB in many cases. The learning in the MILB hasn't occurred.

Buddy Bell was mentioning the Latin players who are signed after these showcases, and how they really don't play games. They just train to get signed. After they are signed, many don't know which base to throw or how to run the bases, situational hitting.. any of the nuances of the game most take for granted, because their actual game experience is so limited..

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Buddy Bell was mentioning the Latin players who are signed after these showcases, and how they really don't play games. They just train to get signed. After they are signed, many don't know which base to throw or how to run the bases, situational hitting.. any of the nuances of the game most take for granted, because their actual game experience is so limited..

Never heard that one. Aren't usually 16 though? They should have a good 4-5 years in the minors to learn.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)

Very, VERY true...the days when guys like Joe Horlen and Gary Peters would spend five, six years in the minor leagues actually learing their craft are long gone.

Another important reason to have a manager and a coaching staff that have the ability to instruct in these areas and get it through to the players, even if they have to almost literally hit them on the head to get it into them.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)

I'm not really surprised by that at all.

I've stayed reserved enough during this losing streak to keep myself from joining the Fire Robin bandwagon. That being said, if the Sox don't turn it around during these next 12 games then I believe he should be let go. Honestly, if the front office believes that they have a team that can compete with KC, Cleveland and Detroit then their manager should be producing results that are at least .500 against these teams. The team as a unit sucks and as easy as it can be to blame this player or that player, the management team needs to do a better job getting these players minds in the right place and getting them prepared to win baseball games. Sure, Robin presided over that amazing start, but he's also presiding over a terrible collapse that has proven complete ineptitude against divisional opponents not named the Twins.

Seriously, let the guy save face a little bit because he's still an epic White Sox legend. It really sucks that Sox fans with more recent memories will only remember him more as a bad manager and less as an awesome baseball player.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
I've tried not to be a Ventura basher.

And I'm not Walter Cronkite.

But he's lost me.

I wonder if as early as tomorrow something happens. I don't think he has much, if any more rope.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
If they don't do it soon, the natives are going to wise up and turn on Hahn, KW and JR.

Or Hahn/KW will turn on each other to blame the other for this current predicament.

Somehow, Don Cooper will survive it all.

Caul:

Ironic that two years ago tonight the Sox announced Robin Ventura had been extended.

Mark