Everything posted by chitownsportsfan
-
White sox culture
For Pat it's a little different. ESPN is in reality licensing his show. Pat retains large editorial control, and the costs to produce the show are his alone. That's probably like 15 million right off the top, maybe more. Pat does a good job branding, including on social media, so I'm sure he thinks he'll make more on the top having that overall control. I have no idea why they pay SAS what they do. I don't know anybody my age that has put his show on in 15 years. I think he exists to fill large content holes for ESPN and without a suitable replacement they are willing to pay him more than he's worth so they aren't replaying corn hole or whatever at the 10am hour. As a brand he has value to them more than just his viewership, as he is frequently a social media flash point and generates eye balls outside the hours his show is aired. ESPN in general has been struggling to turn a profit. Their margins are under attack in various directions. They are still profitable but the margins are less than they were before the explosion in cord cutting and broadcast rights fees.
-
Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox
Credit to Vargas and Sox coaching staff. It's not every day a random back end top 75 type guy turns into a 5 WAR star.
-
Tristan Peters, Mune are All-Stars
Chicago is just a cow town. They sign s%*# in Philly.
-
Official 2026 MLB Draft Thread - Picks & Discussion
Getz has done a great job in this aspect. Having the pretty nice war room and the ESPN reporter tell all was a big balls moment. I'm def enjoying the ways the org is moving these days, however the process arrived at Getz, it's working. I was looking at some of the position player fWAR on those teams and in hindsight pretty mediocre. we had some pretty good SP for a minute, the position player side was a bunch of old guys holding on to some prime, some never would be guys and some talented but injury prone youngsters. Grandal was a s%*# signing overall, damn man, guy just gave up.
-
White sox culture
It would be fascinating to hear Jose talk about some of the things he experienced. I wonder if the Sox will start to involve him in things.
-
Top 20 Prospects (Pre Draft)
I'm not trying to pick a fight but for an analytics oriented guy it's sorta wild to handwave away basically a 2 WAR head start as a solid defensive SS over an average LF. Bonemer is a great prospect, but nobody is drafting him 1st overall in this draft. roch's path to 4 war is like 240/320/400 and play a solid, not elite, just solid defensive SS. Caleb's is like 240/340/530 and don't trip over your dick out there in LF. It's easy to see in this example why positional scarcity matters. If you want to argue Bonemer will be too good to move off "the dirt" (this and "shoving" are annoying me) that's a different argument, one I don't really pretend to have an opinion on.
-
Inside Look at White Sox Draft Room via Jesse Rodgers/ESPN
The org is doing things the right way process wise for the first time in a long time. Maybe since the late 90s, including the media side of things and fan service.
-
Official 2026 MLB Draft Thread - Picks & Discussion
We over rated a lot of those guys and health obviously was a huge problem. Vargas is on pace to put up more WAR this season than Eloy has in his entire career. Moncada had one good season and 4 below avg ones. Robert was always hurt and when he was healthy played closer to a 2 WAR avg regular than a 6 WAR superstar. Those teams had a lot of prospect talent that never really panned out. This current Sox team just has a lot of solid players regardless of prospect status.
-
2026 Draft Class Signing Thread
Are the Fire a thing?
-
2026 Draft Class Signing Thread
Usually these guys get a couple weeks off then join team down in AZ before their assignment? Sounds like Roch is ready to get to work right away. Can't hurt.
-
2026 MLB Catch All (Non Sox, Non AL Central)
I know Gen Z just throws the worst of our early aughts fits together but good lord. He almost had me until I saw the pleats. Even circa 1998, nobody thought pleated pants were cool. If you bought a pair by mistake you got harassed until you went to non pleated.
-
Tristan Peters, Mune are All-Stars
that s%*# is awful. if that is what passes for "sports writing" let AI take over. Too many awful fleets of fancy sentence to sentence to even bother, it's just non sense dressed up as some deep s%*#.
-
All Star Home Run Derby 7 pm CST on Netflix
Couldn't find a stream and wasn't going to try that hard. Saw the Mune replay and then Walker's winning round. Seems like it was a successful derby. I was 50/50 on if I thought it would be good for Mune but as long as he comes out healthy it's fine. Just get him an AB tonight and call it good.
-
White sox getting more media attention
What a time to be alive.
-
This Day In Sox History 7/12...
By the time I was old enough to really know what was going on (so like 1993 or so) DDN was seen mostly as a harmless mistake, a laughable footnote on a prior era. When it happened were people up in arms? I'd imagine so.
-
Roch Cholowsky Video / Media
I like to think it was my 2024 trip to T-Mobile and me IMPLORING Vaughn and Sheets to pull the ball for power. I like to think Gavin telling the dugout "we got a hitting coach in the stands" was the moment the org realized that it's time to embrace the TTO era -- swing hard in case you hit it.
-
This Day In Sox History 7/12...
I hope Steve Lyons disrobing makes it on one of these some day.
-
Roch Cholowsky Video / Media
I can't really get a read on him. He's a unique cat. Quiet intensity type. Certainly a contrast with Caleb Wilson, I don't really prefer either type. Rose was reserved but a quiet assassin, there's more than one way to lead.
-
Gonzo & Eisert Traded to Pirates for Comp Pick and Jaden Woods
Was looking at some some ZIPS projections, they really don't think much of Gonzo. I think he's probably an average regular in his prime or a weak starter but there certainly like a 1/3 chance he's just a random utility guy, nothing more. If they liked the swing at 34 more than that, fine. Probably not a deal I'd make given we're one injury away from needing him back up in Chicago, but I can see the reasons they made it.
-
Official 2026 MLB Draft Thread - Picks & Discussion
Scouting and coaching pulling in the same direction? About time.
-
7/12 Games
We could desperately use another decent SP, hopefully he can add something to the mix.
- 2026 Old Sock Drawer
-
7/13, Athletics @ Sox, 3:10 AM Japan Standard Time
can confirm. shes cute but in a room of hot women she wouldn't stand out, her side profile isn't great for starters. that said, let people thirst.
-
7/13, Athletics @ Sox, 3:10 AM Japan Standard Time
@Colome's Hat I'm hitting the gym. Take it home today.
-
7/13, Athletics @ Sox, 3:10 AM Japan Standard Time
Why is Sam batting? Should be Junior.