Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. Just hitting the wire, Brown is being removed from running FEMAs efforts in LA.
  2. And so it begins. Like I said in an earlier thread, Maggs will be a Red Sox or a Yankee before his contract is up.
  3. QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 12:12 PM) Sounds like you guys and gals had fun. I'm going do my best to make sure I'm out in Chicago next year when this event takes place. Next year we are going to make sure to get a softball game together during the summer too. We had a lot of people interested, but most were away at school. The other option is to see if WSI wants to play against us, that way we only need half the people.
  4. If anyone is interested in playing in an additional league, PM me. I have a league that a few buddies started, and they need more players.
  5. More of the darker side of things In Houston people are circulating fliers urging people to lock their doors and windows to protect themselves from the refugees. Also Reliant Stadium already had a drug ring starting. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3344290.html A subdivision in FLA is reminding is residents that under their by-laws they are not allowed to take in people from Katrina. http://www.nbc6.net/news/4951969/detail.html
  6. I noticed something interesting, well to me at a least, while scanning the stat page. With Crede on the DL there is only a .30 difference between the lowest BA for a starter (Uribe .254) and the highest BA for a starter (Podsednik .284), does anything other team have that little of a spread? Even if Crede is factored in, the difference is only .52.
  7. QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 10:04 AM) Yep, yep. Although, I would like to take this moment to say. . . Biblical translations have ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS been manipulated to reflect current religious tone and opinion. (I think in this respect the Muslims may be onto something: allowing the Koran to be read only in its native Arabic.) So, although the Bible may be divinely inspired (not saying either way on that) the translation of the Bible is, shall we say, guided by the hand of men. From the stupid taking of Noah's rejection of his son Ham (although, hmmmm, maybe that's why Jews can't eat pork. . .) to be a rejection of people of color and a rationalization for doing so (still scrathing my head at that one) to flat out mistranslations there are some problems with a lot of translations. So, sadly, I don't speak Hebrew or Greek, but I always, on those really tricky passages check out a bible or Greek/Hebrew dictionary to make sure I'm getting the real Bible's view--not some monk or translator. I can think of some examples, but without my trusty NRSV Oxford Bible, I think I'll refrain. You actually went down the road that I was thinking of going down myself. Many generations of people have manipulated context and translations of the bible, while ignoring the big picture of what Jesus Christ was teaching. The root of it all was to love one another, and leave the judgements up the big man. We are not here to judge the lives that one another leads, and if we do, we will be judged by God for that. I personally cannot condone the condeming of a group of people to a second class life, even if I were to believe that what they were doing was a sin.
  8. QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:24 PM) I think i really wanna change the mood i'll bring porkchop along.... btw for fans of the blog... new story up on www.pchopchronicles.blogspot.com FINALLY! Its only been like a month, jesus I though we were going to have to do a clip show or something...
  9. Thanks Soxy Thanks a lot Heathen Jim
  10. You guys have made me hungry, I am going to my favorite lunch spot now!
  11. QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:32 AM) Pork sucks. Sign the bills to fund that NEEDS funding, and get your f***ing fingers out of every single money pie that comes down the pike. It blew my mind when I saw the highway bill this year. I really wish Bush would have had the guts to stand up and veto it when it came in over the figure he submited. It also made me wish for the line item veto in a way.
  12. I cringe everytime a ball is hit to the 3rd base side of the infield when Ozuna is in the field. He's a good SS, but a mediocre defender at best. With a team that relies on its defense to help its pitching, you have got to start Crede if he is healthy.
  13. QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:06 AM) Powell on Katrina, from the same interview: I agree, both that the heart of the problem is economic disparity and not racism per se, and also that anybody that continues to say 'they were all told to leave so it's their fault if they didn't listen' is seriously divorced from reality. You take that and compound it with Mayor Nagin's "If you don't leave, you are on your own" plan of evacuation, and you have step one in the staircase of a collosal failure of government.
  14. The gold glove is Aarons for the taking, but his biggest problem in something like this is he actually gets too good of reads on balls, and is usually slowing down when he gets to them, vs making the sportscenter diving catches that some guys make because their reads suck.
  15. QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:00 AM) 90megs to the internet at work might be useful. Thank God for T3 connections
  16. One thing I would like to interject here for some historical reference, many of the arguements that were made against interracial marriage had biblical references that were used to justify them. I believe the main verse used had something to do with marrying people who shared your beliefs? Can someone help me out here?
  17. QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 08:47 AM) Did Brooks and Kurt stop by? Did you do what you were supposed to SS? Brooks never came by the patio party itself. I guess some people went up and found him later on, but I never saw him, so no I didn't.
  18. QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 08:08 AM) I lost track of you after the patio thing. It was cool to meet you. Yeah we were down in the second row behind the pen, and we didn't see many people after the game started. With the wife 7 months pregnant there wasn't much moving around to do. And it was cool to meet you as well, hopefully we will see you at tailgates and the like from now on!
  19. I had a great time last night, dispite the outcome. I got to meet a few more people from both of the boards, and hang out with some cool old friends at the sametime. The rumor about many beers being consumed was very true, and there was a lot of noise that came out of our section in general. The steal of home was absolutely electric, and I really thought that would be the straw to break KC, too bad I was wrong. Also Jeff Bajenaru is one cool dude, gracious as always. He even chased off the big meanie security guard so that we could talk to him for a couple of minutes before the start of the game.
  20. I am curious about this really being possible? Do steroids really stay in your system for over a year? Or could Morse just be trying to pass off another usage as a leftover?
  21. QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:52 PM) Red-flag quotation in the Rogers column: “Throw out one-run games and the Sox would have been 2½ games behind…..” blah blah blah Any “analysis” which requires you to discard a substantial part of the data set is strictly fantasyland material. Now if we could just “throw out” the games with Oakland, we should be able to proceed straight to the World Series, shouldn’t we? And actually that line bugs me more than anything. How many blow out games vs one run games does Rogers think we are going to play in the playoffs. Whether your heart likes it or not, the Sox have become accustomed to playing playoff baseball on a daily basis. They are almost always in one or two run games, which is EXACTLY what they are going to be facing in the postseason. Why would you throw out the one piece of data that could be indicative of the future, and substitute it for some quasi-made up nuevo-statistic???
  22. QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:36 PM) Kurt will probably be there too. Make sure to tell him and Brooks thanks for setting this gig up. Definately. Then we will attack him for failing to sell more tickets
  23. QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:15 PM) It's the new me. Respective & cordial. I disagree that this is this generation's civil rights issue. IMHO there is simply not enough support for it to be considered as such. Likewise with media segmentation occuring on a mass level these days I think it's going to be very difficult for such support to manifest itself. It is more likely that government's will move away from marriage altogether to better deal with issues of divorce & alternative lifestyles. I've decided to try a different experiment first. I am going to put forth my best effort to represent the minority opinion in a respective & cordial way. Let's see what happens. Not a problem. If you ever want to try it, let me or any of the other admins know about it.
  24. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:11 PM) He also didn't count the A's down at all for the injuries to Crosby or to Harden (which cost Harden 6 starts). Without a healthy Crosby, I doubt that team makes the playoffs. If Harden isn't healthy, they have zero chance at the post season.
  25. QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:00 PM) The control for the test would be that the id has no prior history of taking a position contrary to the majority here at SOXTALK. Is there any poll data relating to issues specific to entitlements? That would be interesting. Simply ask the question of whether you would be in favor of re-writing marriage entitlements to include co-dependants married or otherwise. Go ahead and register a whole new ID. None of us will say a word, like I said, as long as you promise to stop trying to ruin Soxtalk for everyone else.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.