Everything posted by MiddleCoastBias
-
Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As
As many have mentioned before, we need other teams to be in need of closers for the Nats to really get into a bidding war, or at least feel any added outside motivation. My thought is look at the league leaders in blown save opportunities and work those angles hard. The Nats needs relievers. Desperately. If we start selling off relievers to other clubs, they'll see we aren't just waiting for them to pick up the phone. TeamRank Blown Saves Games Back from WC 1 Texas 17 3.5 3 NY Yankees 15 +1 5 Tampa Bay 15 0 6 Washington 14 - 8 Seattle 13 3 12 LA Angels 12 2.5 All of these teams are competing for a wildcard or division spot and rank among the teams with most blown saves. There's ample opportunity to make moves with other teams (once teams become motivated to buy) that will net us pieces and force other teams' hand.
-
Zack Burdi... Starter?
I'm just keep thinking back to his last outting in the College World Series last year in which he gave up the walk-off grand slam to UCSB. He started the inning absolutely cruising and embarrassing batters but got a little wild and his pitch count increased. Got into trouble, pitch count was up, and he was totally gassed - after one inning. Ended up tossing up a cookie that landed in the bleachers. I understand the concept of stretching him out is to get him to cool it on the "max effort, all the time" thing, but he just seems tailor made to be a high velocity one-inning guy to me.
-
ST 3/17 Sox vs Mariners 3:05 start
QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 04:28 PM) Than Gillaspie? I don't think we have one. Unless you want Cabrera there, but that creates a much bigger hole at #2. Heh.
-
James Shields
FWIW, there was an article a few days ago about Greinke and the possibility/probability that he excersises his opt out clause after this season. He can opt out of his contract after this year and cash in for some serious money. The Dodgers know this and could look to sign Shields as a replacement now anticipating losing Greinke later.
-
2015 Films thread
QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:50 AM) I really don't get the fascination with Snowpiercer. It's a movie that's right up my alley (post apocalyptic scifi), but I don't even think it's good, let alone in the top 10. The entire movie is just a monotone mess to me. Chris Evans also does nothing for me. I've been scratching my head on this one too. I LOVED so much of the movie - neat concept, class struggle/caste system allegory was awesome. The ending really threw me, though. Like, there was such a great build up to what I wanted to happen, what I thought would have been a much better ending, and then it just farted. So disappointing. I think THAT would have nailed home the dystopian theme.
-
Tim Raines HOF
Raines also benefits from the fact that there aren't many big names coming up next year which will help clear up some of the glut. Griffey is a sure thing, probably Edmonds, and then they drop off. Hopefully this allows more voters to use their expanded votes to vote in the deserving guys that have been passed over in recent years.
-
Should I?
Mike MacDougal authentic. I don't even think his own mother bought that. And a collection that includes early Bartolo, Loaiza, Beckham, and Quentin, among many others. I guess they can't all be winning lottery tickets.
-
FutureSox on Yoan Moncada
Another good read, less baseball ability-related, moreso just the crazy story of Moncada trying to come stateside to play in the MLB. Yoan Moncada's Weird Story of Defection
-
Johnny Venters?
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 01:17 PM) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_John_surgery Sounds like quite the case of 'dead arm'. And with that, I'll return to the shadows.
-
This is a joke!!
QUOTE (venom4789 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 10:40 PM) It seems like a lot of boston fans think baseball revolves around them, i have a few friends who are red sox fans and some of the trade ideas they throw out there are unreal. While its nice to dream about trades and such when i do i try to make it realistic, when they do you think they do the trade on a video game and think it could happen in real life. The baseball hubris out here is offensive. The fans have no concept of how baseball works anymore.
-
9/25 vs Royals
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:01 PM) Yes he is . Replaced by Sierra. Btw You are a great poster . I like your style /nods approvingly
-
Official Frank Thomas Celebration Week
I'll be driving out Friday afternoon with a couple Braves fans. We got a hotel downtown (someone pulled some strings) so it should be a great little weekend.
-
2014 Films Thread
I went to see Edge of Tomorrow today. First 20 minutes, I said "that makes no f***ing sense" 3 times. Then the next hour I was like "this is awesome!", followed up 3 Picard-esque WTFs towards the end. Just an up and down love/hate movie. So, a Tom Cruise movie. But really, just throw the third Matrix, Tom Cruise, 50 First Dates, and a boat-load of money in to a blender and there you go. That's probably unfair because all of those things individually is pretty awful, but somehow it adds up to a decent flick.
-
WGN America dropping Sox, other Chicago sports
I'm not gonna lie, this makes me selfishly happy for the schadenfreude of it. New England is the only part of the country that doesn't get WGN America so every argument I have with friends about anything unrelated is always ended with "but we have WGN". Though I guess it hasn't affected me that much anyway because it forced me to pick up MLB.tv and I've never looked back.
-
De Aza/Danks/Garcia
QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2014 -> 09:19 PM) I say option D, which is acquiring another corner outfielder. Doesn't have to even be someone that currently starts. All I know is that Garcia and Danks aren't logical replacements. I heard Jeff Keppinger has 5 career games played in the outfield.
-
2014 Catch-all Anything thread
QUOTE (Brian @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:19 PM) Is she still dating Middlebrooks? No, he's dating Jenny Dell. She used to be a field reporter for the Red Sox and NESN but they deemed the relationship inappropriate so she was effectively fired. That bastard just cost me the only reason worth watching Red Sox games.
-
2014 Films Thread
I just saw a free advance screening for Brick Mansions, the 'action' flick starring Paul Walker. I knew it was going to be ridiculous and it did not disappoint. Definitely one of those awesomely-bad movies. Like, it was terrible, but highly entertaining. The director and cinematographer definitely watched The Raid: Redemption on repeat before filming the first few action scenes (the first fight for both of the leads, respectively). I also feel like if you've seen The Rock more than twice, you'll hear a number of common lines. The movie was bad, but it was fun-bad. Rza is entertaining, and it was quite fun to see David Belle reprise his role from the French Version "District B13". Plus, Paul Walker at his Paul Walker-est. And for those that haven't used it, check out GetScreening.com or follow them on Twitter. They give away free tickets to advance screeners meant for the press (they just fill the empty seats in the theater). I've seen a bunch of movies for free before they come on doing this, though it helps to be downtown in a major city.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!
QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 10:17 PM) Was it just me or did Rios catch it from the bounce off the facade and make some sort of signal indicating like he'd caught it on the fly?
-
Fifth starter
QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 08:05 PM) That would be cool. - Bill Veeck
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 10:57 PM) The replays they showed on the Sox feed sucked. I don't think they got a shot at the right angle where you can see Napoli's glove and his foot in the same frame. https://twitter.com/MassholeSports/status/4...0693377/photo/1
-
4/15; Red Sox @ White Sox
I don't know if the CSN feed was focusing on it, but NESN can't get their cameras off of Pedroia. Looks like he might be batting in the 9th, coming back from injury.
-
2014 Films Thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:38 AM) Am I the only one on the planet that has not seen, or have any interest in seeing, any of these comic book movies (sans the Nolan Batman series)? I feel like I am. I'm with you. I keep scrolling through pages of DC this or Marvel that. Not interested. I'm just waiting for someone to talk about The Raid 2. Who's excited? I'm excited.
-
Would you trade Alexei to the Tigers?
Olney is reporting that many within the Phillies organization believe they need to trade Rollins immediately. Not sure how that would play with the Tigers but it adds another option out there.
-
NIT
I'll be at the game at BU. Agganis is a nice arena (though I've only seen hockey games there). 5th row, center court for $18. Oh, and they were somehow grandfathered in to sell beer. I-L-L.
-
Teams have interest in Viciedo/De Aza
QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 11:58 PM) http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v3149...-in-the-seventh Man, Christian Yelich smoked that ball.