Is there a plausible argument for competing next year?

caulfield12

With Lucroy (probably) and Miller to the Indians?

We have to replace CF, Morneau and catcher...and Jennings is our lefty setup guy now.

From where I sit, Anderson is a 675-725ish SS, and that definitely has value with Tim's defense and athletic ability, but it would take huge bounce-backs from Abreu, Rodon and Fulmer looking like a completely different pitcher just to be in the conversation.

Will they spend on Wieters or Ramos and surrender a draft pick? Unlikely.

Will Tilson head into 2017 as the starter in CF?

Pretty much to the point where...if we're going to be .500ish....let's have a team like 2000-2004 that is at least entertaining to watch hit at USCF. Suffering through these games in Minnesota, it's terrible to only want to watch Eaton, Melky and Anderson hit and fast forward through the rest of the lineup. Granted, no Frazier, but it's more than that obviously.

KC, with Wade Davis not being traded...have a feeling they're all in until at least the ASB in 2017. They'll probably bring back Hochevar on an incentives-based deal for next year and get much better results now that the thoracic outlet issues have been addressed with him and possibly Zimmer.

Detroit will have no alternative but to be all in as well.

The Sox can say they're all in but how can they be, realistically?

Edited by caulfield12

YES. trade Rodon to Oskland for Hill. Ro don is not good enough for this rotation. Once Hill is on board, trade Quintana for 2 quality position players who can hit like Lucroy plus 1.

Milwaukee would part with Lucroy for a top line starter. That gives u a Sale Shields Hill rotation with a much stronger lineup with a great receiver. If that does not make the Sox a contender I do not know what will

Rodon is 2-8 with a high era, stick a fork in him

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
YES. trade Rodon to Oskland for Hill. Ro don is not good enough for this rotation. Once Hill is on board, trade Quintana for 2 quality position players who can hit like Lucroy plus 1.

Milwaukee would part with Lucroy for a top line starter. That gives u a Sale Shields Hill rotation with a much stronger lineup with a great receiver. If that does not make the Sox a contender I do not know what will

giphy.gif

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)

The worst post of the day award goes to you. Congrats.

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)

Lucroy doesn't want to be dealt until his 2017 option is waived and he can become a free agent with the biggest payoff of the lot.

Won't happen.

And we couldn't deal him for our entire pre 2016 farm system anyway, even with Avi and Sanchez thrown in, we would be hung up on.

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)

Well this is a rough post.

But welcome to SoxTalk!

It honestly sickens me that it's gotten to this point. You have Q and Sale (arguably TWO aces)to anchor your staff at team friendly deals and everything done around them was just a complete swing and miss...how does this happen?

I don't blame the team trying to "go for it" the past few seasons. Q and Sale should have been a HUGE shortcut to competing in terms of filling out the rest of the roster. But it was botched...pretty badly.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
It honestly sickens me that it's gotten to this point. You have Q and Sale (arguably TWO aces)to anchor your staff at team friendly deals and everything done around them was just a complete swing and miss...how does this happen?

I don't blame the team trying to "go for it" the past few seasons. Q and Sale should have been a HUGE shortcut to competing in terms of filling out the rest of the roster. But it was botched...pretty badly.

And this is why I believe all three (Robin, Hahn and KW) need to be let go at seasons end. They have put this organization in a horrible spot-- even with two of the best starting pitchers in the game. They do not deserve to be apart of a rebuild. Apart of me wonders if JR is FINALLY leaning toward this and that we only see minor trades today, while the rest of the deals will happen under a new regime this winter? It is very doubtful since JR never likes to admit when things are bad, plus he is 80 years old. It's doubtful he would be so bold in the final years of his life. Yet for some reason, I'm more hopeful now than I ever have been under JR's watch-- probably because things around the White Sox organization have become pretty bad on multiple fronts.

Not sure if it's a plausible argument or not, but what if Abreu bounces back to MVPish form? What does getting Petricka and Putnam back while also possibly adding Burdi to the pen do for the struggles there? What does Rodon possibly taking a step forward do for the rotation? What does Frazier possibly improving in his 2nd year in the AL do? What about Anderson in his 2nd year? Is Collins really that advanced bat who can come up at some point next year and be the Sox Shwarber? What do they make of Fulmer? If they stand pat, they would still have Sale-Q-Shields-Rodon-Gonzalez so do they keep Carson in the pen or starting in the minors? I've been one who thinks managers don't matter, but what if I'm wrong and they do?

I know that is a lot of what ifs, but I'm not sure its that crazy. I refuse to believe Abreu will be mediocre forever. If he's having a PK, randomly suck for a year then ball out the next, type year, that alone changes a lot of things.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:50 AM)
Not sure if it's a plausible argument or not, but what if Abreu bounces back to MVPish form? What does getting Petricka and Putnam back while also possibly adding Burdi to the pen do for the struggles there? What does Rodon possibly taking a step forward do for the rotation? What does Frazier possibly improving in his 2nd year in the AL do? What about Anderson in his 2nd year? Is Collins really that advanced bat who can come up at some point next year and be the Sox Shwarber? What do they make of Fulmer? If they stand pat, they would still have Sale-Q-Shields-Rodon-Gonzalez so do they keep Carson in the pen or starting in the minors? I've been one who thinks managers don't matter, but what if I'm wrong and they do?

I know that is a lot of what ifs, but I'm not sure its that crazy. I refuse to believe Abreu will be mediocre forever. If he's having a PK, randomly suck for a year then ball out the next, type year, that alone changes a lot of things.

If you read all that back to yourself, how likely does it feel?

Then you need to have repeats from Eaton and Melky, not to mention perfect health from Sale and Quintana for yet another year. We keep taking that for granted, but look at Kershaw or Darvish, for example. Or the Mets. Pitching dynasties like the Braves had are so rare. That's probably the one thing that can take down the Indians, too.

This is the White Sox Conundrum...

Teams are dying for aces, the White Sox have two.

Seems everyone wnats to rebuild because that worked for the cubs. It also has failed for many many others.

I personally think there is enough on the roster to win, it is the front office that cannot fill the back end of the roster and a coaching staff that cannot figure out how to get eh best out of its players that are the issue.

A Fowler/ Austin Jackson platoon for the White Sox would have looked decent enough on day one, yet here we are with Avi Garcia still taking up a roster spot and goign the whole season without a 4th outfielder.

The Duke trade makes sense in that it addressed a problem.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 05:50 AM)

I like this post and you didn' t even mention signing any free agents. Despite the thin class, there is top talent available if Uncle Jerry said keep everyone, trade in the offseason and we WILL sign 2 free agent big names come hell or high water. Fantasyland sure but crazier things have happened.

From David Haugh's column tonight. As I mentioned earlier part of the theme was that he simply didn't trust the front office but he also wrote this:

"For all intents and purposes, any suspense Monday marked the end of real drama in the Sox season. Nobody expects a spurt. A team Hahn said was mired in mediocrity has shown every indication it will stay there. Let the next movement begin, whatever it is. Reinsdorf should make no small plans unless he enjoys being average. Sox fans deserve better than average."

Mark