James Shields officially not opting out

southsider2k5

Sox have made some unwise acquisitions and Shields is one of the worst. To make matters worse the Sox have been terribly unlucky on trades and with high Draft picks. Courtney Hwawkins? Carlos Rodon instead of Schwarber. Carson Fulmer?

Instead of bemoaning that any further, it is time to look ahead..

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
It fascinates me that the Cubs can spend $184 million on a bum like Heyward and not miss a beat while the Sox only owe Shields approximately 1/7th of that and are struggling big time with payroll.

I dont think we are struggling. I'd gladly take Heywards deal when we trade Sale for Schwarber and Soler.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
Sox have made some unwise acquisitions and Shields is one of the worst. To make matters worse the Sox have been terribly unlucky on trades and with high Draft picks. Courtney Hwawkins? Carlos Rodon instead of Schwarber. Carson Fulmer?

Rodon over Schwarber was and still is the correct call.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 28m28 minutes ago White Sox RHP James Shields will officially opt in to the final two years of his deal, source confirms to @SBNation. Was a formality.

I hope James is sitting on his ass resting his arm and in a month or so starts getting his legs in shape. Rest that arm and pray when he goes to spring training there's some life in that arm. He was so bad this past season it is laughable.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 04:15 AM)
Rodon over Schwarber was and still is the correct call.

I hope so. Schwarber seems to have a live bat and Rodon so far has been good. Let's see if Rodon is a 1 or 2 starter.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
It fascinates me that the Cubs can spend $184 million on a bum like Heyward and not miss a beat while the Sox only owe Shields approximately 1/7th of that and are struggling big time with payroll.

Well the two teams have two different budgets, the Cubs have a budget on par with the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox and Cardinals. The Sox have a mid tier budget.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)

We don't know that Fulmer was a bad pick. Rodon over Schwarber was the right call at the time and still the right call now. You are b****ing just to b**** about that one. Hawkins was a bad pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
We don't know that Fulmer was a bad pick. Rodon over Schwarber was the right call at the time and still the right call now. You are b****ing just to b**** about that one. Hawkins was a bad pick.

The Hawkins pick was pretty universally praised when it was made.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
The Hawkins pick was pretty universally praised when it was made.

You guys are both right.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)
Well the two teams have two different budgets, the Cubs have a budget on par with the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox and Cardinals. The Sox have a mid tier budget.

The Cardinals though despite having a new regional mega TV deal and one of the best fan bases in baseball don't have a major or extremely high budget. I've never understood that myself but that's how they operate.

Mark