Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
Many scouts and pundits feel that his stock has risen a lot recently, to the degree that public perception may lag behind his current value

So what is the complimentary phrase for the guys heading down?

:)

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
This deal makes a ton of sense for the Pirates, even at a steep cost. If their playoff chances start going south within 2 years or so, and provided Quintana is still pitches as he does now, they can still flip him again for an awesome return to some other team to help offset the prospects they lost to acquire him in the first place.

I would think Meadows would be a must. I like Mitch Keller alot, he took major strides forward this season and projects as a mid rotation starter.

I'd obviously start the price with Glasnow + Meadows ++

TBH i dont really understand Pittsburgh getting into the bidding at all. They arent a pitcher away from taking back the NL Central. They looked really mediocre at best last season, and dealing some of their top prospects for Q just doesnt really make sense to me. I mean, im all for it, i would love to keep stacking prospects, I just dont really understand this rumor

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
If the Sox can nab Meadows, Newman, and Keller for Q, I will lose my s***. That would be the best Christmas present ever and would probably benefit both teams pretty well. Sox get guys that can make an impact in 2018, Pirates dont lose anyone from their roster next year, they get a cheap player that can help their financial situation, and the Sox get some blue chip position prospects and a pitching prospect with an insane K:BB ratio.

Another interesting thought would be a three way trade with someone who wants to trade for McCutchen. The Pirates get Q, the other team gets Cutch, and the Sox get a load of prospects from both teams.

Just for fun!

Yankees get McCutchen, T. Frazier and Miguel Gonzalez

Pirates get Quintana, Robertson and Headley

White Sox get Torres or Frazier (NYY), Meadows (PIT), Keller (PIT), Hayes (PIT), Diaz (PIT), Fowler (NYY)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 06:58 AM)
TBH i dont really understand Pittsburgh getting into the bidding at all. They arent a pitcher away from taking back the NL Central. They looked really mediocre at best last season, and dealing some of their prospects for Q just doesnt really make sense to me. I mean, im all for it, i would love to keep stacking prospects, I just dont really understand this rumor

I think it's a question of does an asset like this fit our longterm plan. As a few of us have discussed, you can look at their situation in a number of ways:

1) They need to acquire talented veterans like Q on cost-controlled contracts by trading from their prospect base;

2) They need to keep their prospect base because they can't compete in any way other than by stacking cost-controlled talent.

They likely are trying to pull off some mix of the two.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Rising up the prospect rankings a la balloon with helium

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Many scouts and pundits feel that his stock has risen a lot recently, to the degree that public perception may lag behind his current value

I love that both of these answers are correct, though entirely different, and perfectly in line with the personalities of the posters.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
TBH i dont really understand Pittsburgh getting into the bidding at all. They arent a pitcher away from taking back the NL Central. They looked really mediocre at best last season, and dealing some of their top prospects for Q just doesnt really make sense to me. I mean, im all for it, i would love to keep stacking prospects, I just dont really understand this rumor

The Pirates have a ton of young talent on their major league roster and could easily see a big jump in wins without making any other moves. Adding Quintana makes them a legit wild card threat IMO, which is about as good as it's going to get for them for the near future with the Cubs owning the Central.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 06:48 AM)
This deal makes a ton of sense for the Pirates, even at a steep cost. If their playoff chances start going south within 2 years or so, and provided Quintana is still pitches as he does now, they can still flip him again for an awesome return to some other team to help offset the prospects they lost to acquire him in the first place.

Ha you just posted what I was going to say only I'd say Q could put up even better numbers with the Pirates. Then if they end up trading him they might be able to get back almost as much as they gave up.We've seen guys with 2 years left fetch a lot and relief pitcher rentals also fetch a lot . So it's entirely in the realm of possibility that Q becomes even better in the NL with a stronger defense around him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
The Pirates have a ton of young talent on their major league roster and could easily see a big jump in wins without making any other moves. Adding Quintana makes them a legit wild card threat IMO, which is about as good as it's going to get for them for the near future with the Cubs owning the Central.

This is the part I dont see. They are probably gonna be looking up at the Cubs and Cardinals for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 05:04 AM)
Both Meadows and Glasnow probably too much to ask for, so give me OF Austin Meadows, SS Kevin Newman, RHP Nick Kingham and 3B Max Moroff. Would love Adam Frazier too but they probably don't want to subtract anything from their big-league roster.

That gives you the #9 prospect in baseball, #42, their #10 prospect who I think would be much higher if not for an injury-hit 2016 and their #20 prospect who has been statistically quite good despite a low pedigree.

The Pirates really should be interested. But if they hold off their top guy, I am not sure they have enough to get it done.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Newman's minor league stats aren't all that inspiring. Is there something good about him I don't know?

.814 OPS from a shortstop is pretty, pretty good. By comparison, Anderson only exceeded .800 once and that was in 2014. In addition, Newman has an incredibly advanced approach that would be ideal at the top of the lineup. In 2016, he actually walked more than he struck out. That's insane in milb. He's got some speed and there is some belief that he has the tools to stick at SS which would make him an above average defender at 2B.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
I think it's a question of does an asset like this fit our longterm plan. As a few of us have discussed, you can look at their situation in a number of ways:

1) They need to acquire talented veterans like Q on cost-controlled contracts by trading from their prospect base;

2) They need to keep their prospect base because they can't compete in any way other than by stacking cost-controlled talent.

They likely are trying to pull off some mix of the two.

If Quintan is dealt they would ideally like to turn him into multiple high end position player talents so that we can fill out our major league roster. I am not against getting more quality pitching, but we have glaring position player needs.

Houston, New York and Pittsburgh seems to all be in on Quintana, as well as the Rockies possibly. This bidding war bodes well for the Sox

Pittsburgh: Meadows + Newman + Keller + one more prospect could be a deal that works for both sides

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
This is the part I dont see. They are probably gonna be looking up at the Cubs and Cardinals for the foreseeable future.

I don't know, I like it though. Pirates were in wilderness so long, I'd want them to take a punch for another year. Q/Cole is a nice 1-2 and they have the arms to make a really good pitching staff. Marte was oft-injured last year and I think the Cutch post mortems were written a little soon.

Their bullpen though, questionable.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
.814 OPS from a shortstop is pretty, pretty good. By comparison, Anderson only exceeded .800 once and that was in 2014. In addition, Newman has an incredibly advanced approach that would be ideal at the top of the lineup. In 2016, he actually walked more than he struck out. That's insane in milb. He's got some speed and there is some belief that he has the tools to stick at SS which would make him an above average defender at 2B.

Newman's approach at the plate is excellent, all he does is hit and consistently get on base. The power is very lacking, but he takes a ton of walks and has decent speed. He projects to be a starting caliber SS or 2B and a solid table setter for the offense

In all this was it lost that Buster Olney said the Yankees haven't discussed Quintana in "weeks"?

Always funny when the after trade articles are written how different the actual movements were vs what was reported.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Cy Acosta, where are ya buddy? There is finally a legit rumor involving the Pirates. :D

How about Meadows (#9), Newman (#42), Keller (#72) and Diaz? Gives the Sox a return of two top 50's, a top 100 and a catcher that profiles to at least be a backup MLB C with good defensive skills and strong arm.

Right here, man! Like most of us -- watching, with great interest.

It ain't over 'til it's over, but, yeah, for the longest time I've been thinking the Pirates would be a serious contender for either Sale or Q (most likely Q) since it became obvious the Sox were going to auction off their prime assets. Baseball is just like most businesses, heck, like most relationships. "Need" trump "like." Every single team with any reasonable chance of contending would "like" a Sale or a Q. Not only for their talent, but also for the contract attached to the talent. But a team like the Pirates truly "need" this kind of asset because they can never win a FA bidding war against the big boys. Push come to shove, I always suspected the Pirates would likely step-up and, in the end, would be willing to pay MORE out of the warchest from which they could actually compete -- young talent.

Take a team that needs to pay more like the Pirates, factor in that their available currency (young talent) is what they have in significant quantities and is exactly what the Sox need out of this "auction," and then add that the centerpiece of any likely trade -- Meadows -- is exactly the kind of everday stud OF'er the Sox need ... well, they always seemed to be a super-likely trade partner to me.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
The Pirates really should be interested. But if they hold off their top guy, I am not sure they have enough to get it done.

I see Meadows being the sticking point for the Pirates, and what will hold up a deal being done. They view him as the center fielder of the future post McCutchen.

Glasnow or Meadows would have to headline, but you would have to imagine the Sox would likely prefer the top end position player in a Quintana deal

The price tag would be Meadows + Glasnow or Keller + more

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Right here, man! Like most of us -- watching, with great interest.

It ain't over 'til it's over, but, yeah, for the longest time I've been thinking the Pirates would be a serious contender for either Sale or Q (most likely Q) since it became obvious the Sox were going to auction off their prime assets. Baseball is just like most businesses, heck, like most relationships. "Need" trump "like." Every single team with any reasonable chance of contending would "like" a Sale or a Q. Not only for their talent, but also for the contract attached to the talent. But a team like the Pirates truly "need" this kind of asset because they can never win a FA bidding war against the big boys. Push come to shove, I always suspected the Pirates would likely step-up and, in the end, would be willing to pay MORE out of the warchest from which they could actually compete -- young talent.

Take a team that needs to pay more like the Pirates, factor in that their available currency (young talent) is what they have in significant quantities and is exactly what the Sox need out of this "auction," and then add that the centerpiece of any likely trade -- Meadows -- is exactly the kind of everday stud OF'er the Sox need ... well, they always seemed to be a super-likely trade partner to me.

Cy Acosta, where are ya buddy? There is finally a legit rumor involving the Pirates. biggrin.gif

How about Meadows (#9), Newman (#42), Keller (#72) and Diaz? Gives the Sox a return of two top 50's, a top 100 and a catcher that profiles to at least be a backup MLB C with good defensive skills and strong arm.

Meadows + Newman + Keller + Diaz would be a nice haul for Quintana