Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I just think operating like they are operating isn't going to lead to wins. It's as half assed as anything the White Sox have done.

Most teams have a budget set by the owner or ownership group. The GM can only work with the resources given.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Most teams have a budget set by the owner or ownership group. The GM can only work with the resources given.

I understand that but the owner got into it with a fan just in the past week because the fan said he was more concerned about the bottom line than winning. Adding a $6 or $7 million salary is hardly a franchise killer. If they have to trade the face of their franchise to add a guy who is paid like a 4th or 5th starter, they aren't committed to winning. Once this window closes, they might regret that.

I know it's not in Jerry's nature, but wouldn't it make sense to pick up some of Q's money to extract more value from the Pirates? Then you can let Cutch regain value during the season, trade him at the deadline, and move Meadows in. Sox could ask for Glasnow, Bell, and Newman.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
I understand that but the owner got into it with a fan just in the past week because the fan said he was more concerned about the bottom line than winning. Adding a $6 or $7 million salary is hardly a franchise killer. If they have to trade the face of their franchise to add a guy who is paid like a 4th or 5th starter, they aren't committed to winning. Once this window closes, they might regret that.

I'm not disageeing with your point. Im just saying that it's not every owner wants to sink everything he or they have into the team. Maybe he's got a 1mil a month alimony payment. Who knows but they aren't in it to go broke. The owner sets the budget they are comfotable with and the GM needs to work within it. If it's not enough to win, then they need to find another way. This could be it for the pirates. McCutchen wasn't putting them over the top so they are trading him and the salary for other pieces. They may also know something about him that others don't

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
I know it's not in Jerry's nature, but wouldn't it make sense to pick up some of Q's money to extract more value from the Pirates? Then you can let Cutch regain value during the season, trade him at the deadline, and move Meadows in. Sox could ask for Glasnow, Bell, and Newman.

It would be ridiculous, but they already are having a tough time coming up with the correct package if they are getting other teams involved, so I don't see where they would be willing to give up more.

Edited by Dick Allen

I guess we could, but really is there enough money involved that it would materially improve the deal? I mean I would take on the extra money if it mean the difference between Kellen and Meadows, but would it?

I'm not that familiar with all of the prospects but, with all of the names mentioned it seems the most valuable piece to a trade would start with Meadows.

Am I wrong? Of course the Pirates would have to say yes to that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
The Pirates do not want to part with Meadows or Bell, the three team isn't likely to happen and the Pirates need to move salary in order to take on Q's. Yet, the Pirates are still pushing to get a deal done, how?

If they are willing to give up McCutchen instead to get more prospects from the Yankees, more power to them. I am not particular about where the kids come from, but I am particular about getting a big haul for Q. If that means getting guys like Andujar and Rutherford from the Yankees instead, cool.

Nice segment raBBit, you sounded a lot more educated than the usual suspects on that show. For those of you who want a summary, there wasn't much more than we've already discussed here. He brought up the individual players, how the Pirates have budget constraints so they may need to deal McCutchen, discussed the Sox new moves internally with scouting and player development and discussed the packages that Hahn might come back with (likely four players). Futuresox.com was mentioned as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
The Pirates do not want to part with Meadows or Bell, the three team isn't likely to happen and the Pirates need to move salary in order to take on Q's. Yet, the Pirates are still pushing to get a deal done, how?

if they want to get a team to pay mccutchen, teams will surely be up for that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
If they are willing to give up McCutchen instead to get more prospects from the Yankees, more power to them. I am not particular about where the kids come from, but I am particular about getting a big haul for Q. If that means getting guys like Andujar and Rutherford from the Yankees instead, cool.

Does cutch really make that much sense for the Yankees?

That team really needs pitching

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Nice segment raBBit, you sounded a lot more educated than the usual suspects on that show. For those of you who want a summary, there wasn't much more than we've already discussed here. He brought up the individual players, how the Pirates have budget constraints so they may need to deal McCutchen, discussed the Sox new moves internally with scouting and player development and discussed the packages that Hahn might come back with (likely four players). Futuresox.com was mentioned as well.

It was a good segment

Glasnow is legit, I have no issue stocking up on premium arms

Too much talk about bell though. Pittsburgh likely wants to keep him and might be willing to move Newman or other prospects

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
It was a good segment

Glasnow is legit, I have no issue stocking up on premium arms

Too much talk about bell though. Pittsburgh likely wants to keep him and might be willing to move Newman or other prospects

So Pittsburgh doesn't want to move Meadows or Bell?

This sounds like the reason for Yankees being involved.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)

That's what I'm saying. If the third team isn't likely then McCutchen stays put, and they do not want to part with Bell or Meadows, it's hard to see how the Pirates can pull that off.

What would make sense is if the Mets are the third team. The Mets were rumored to be interested in McCutchen and Robertson plus they have quality prospects. A three way between the Sox, Mets and Pirates makes much more sense.

It's only been a few hours, and this rumor already feels stale. Sox trade Q and don't get Meadows, Torres or Frazier back? I guess Glasnow + Rutherford would be nice, but it feels like settling. I'm still hoping someone really steps with with one of the so-called "untouchables." The value of Jose Quintana for four years plus his below-market contract should be worth it!