Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
I don't think Severino is any better than Narvaez. If they trade for him that tells me they are already giving up on Collins as a catcher.

I wouldn't think that at all. Severino is no sure bet to stick as a MLB regular any more than Narvaez or Collins are. It doesn't hurt to have more than 1 option in one of the weakest areas of depth for the Sox.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 11:58 PM)
Agreed. I just subscribed to Baseball America, so I can more closely follow our farm clubs and the upcoming 2017 and 2018 drafts.

This will be the first season i dont buy mlb.tv and get milb.tv

I believe that the Sox mindset is this - Austin Meadows has to be the center piece of a trade with the Pirates. No Austin Meadows, no deal...so apparently no deal with the Pirates. Time to move one from them.

The Pirates apparently want to move on from McCutcheon and put Meadows in Center. OK, fine, but they should have traded McCutcheon first, made it clear that they will not trade Meadows, and saved everyone a lot of time. Instead I believe they decided to work harder to not include Meadows by trying to come up with some other package for the Sox in a three way deal. They are making this too complicated.

"The Pirates could promote Meadows as early as this season, partially because of his development and partially depending on what they do with Andrew McCutchen.

Right-hander Mitch Keller passed Tyler Glasnow, who fell to No. 3, with Keller coming in at No. 2. Keller, 20, whom the Pirates took in the second round in 2014, posted a 2.41 ERA, 9.5 strikeouts per nine innings and only 1.3 walks per nine innings with Class A West Virginia this season. He reached Class A Bradenton at the end of the regular season and pitched for them in the Florida State League playoffs.

Josh Bell still makes the list, at No. 4, because he fell three at-bats shy of exceeding rookie eligibility, but he’ll be in the majors all season, either playing first base or right field.

Kevin Newman reached No. 5, with his excellent hit tool giving him a .320/.389/.426 line in 2016 between Bradenton and Altoona and his plate discipline leading to seven more walks than strikeouts."

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Lol take it easy! I just don't get the hype. Lopez I get the hype. I've went back and watched Glasnow's appearances on MLB.tv and don't get it.

He's absolutely wild, but he's also been basically unhittable on anything in the zone.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Hahn cannot wait to trade Quintana. If they wait until the deadline they may not find a suitor and then you're trying to move him in a free agent market overloaded with very good starters. A year from now they won't get half of what would be considered a low return now.

Either they deal him this offseason or they keep him for the next 4 years.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Couldn't disagree more. It's all speculation dude.

Half a year of Samdazjiezyeahhh got the top SS prospect in the game, the number four prospect in baseball at the time.

No one knows what we could get now, or at the deadline, or next year, or in three years.

Only thing that isn't speculative is this: if Quintana keeps pitching the way he has - he'll always be in demand and will always command a haul.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Except the free agent market is a little more saturated with pitchers next year plus the changes in team compensation probably decreases the chances he would get traded next offseason if he's still around.

The Trade Deadline probably wouldnt happen either. Alot of these guys they are probably asking for will be playing. We've already seen how hesitant teams are to trade players that are contributing on the club in the middle of the season.

So the previous post was correct. They need to trade him now if they actually want to.

One thing I'm thinking about right now is that the White Sox have already taken 2 franchises that think they can win right now...and gutted them. So, there were teams willing to go all-in and make a move, and teams that had the resources to do so, and 2 of those teams are now gone. So now...we're left with a set of teams that should still make moves, but they're more hesitant to do so.

So, maybe we're also running into a demand shortage. We've tapped out 2 teams, leaving only a handful of teams who even have the resources to make such a move. If that were the case, then waiting on a few drafts, signings, and minor league breakouts, maybe even combined with a major league surprise or injury or two, could be required before anyone steps up to pay this price.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
One thing I'm thinking about right now is that the White Sox have already taken 2 franchises that think they can win right now...and gutted them. So, there were teams willing to go all-in and make a move, and teams that had the resources to do so, and 2 of those teams are now gone. So now...we're left with a set of teams that should still make moves, but they're more hesitant to do so.

So, maybe we're also running into a demand shortage. We've tapped out 2 teams, leaving only a handful of teams who even have the resources to make such a move. If that were the case, then waiting on a few drafts, signings, and minor league breakouts, maybe even combined with a major league surprise or injury or two, could be required before anyone steps up to pay this price.

Yeah, that's a good point, but I think the optics of those two deals may be impacting things more than actual liquidity.

There are teams that have the assets and that actually should be in a position to move them, but I feel like they are refusing to pay the same price because of the optics.

It may just be a matter of waiting them out a bit longer while they try to play it cute.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Yeah, that's a good point, but I think the optics of those two deals may be impacting things more than actual liquidity.

There are teams that have the assets and that actually should be in a position to move them, but I feel like they are refusing to pay the same price because of the optics.

It may just be a matter of waiting them out a bit longer while they try to play it cute.

No reason to compromise, every other team saw the sale return and have high asking prices as well. Sox will insist on meadows plus glasnow or Keller centerpiece a deal, plus Newman is likely.

Pirates can balk, but that is their loss. They won't be able to afford free agent pitching help anytime soon

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)

Speaking of : http://es.pn/2iapHPz

I am totally fine (aside from the restless lack of closure) waiting on dealing Quintana if the deals presented feel to light to Sox scouts. But that's different than the assumption made often in this thread that the deadline is inherently better to deal in.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)

At the least - the fact that we've dismantled the systems of two teams means that there are fewer competitors providing a need to get something done right now.

The Red Sox got their offer on the table and did it because if they waited, the Nats were going to get theirs done.

The Nats got their offer on the table and pulled the trigger because if they didn't, the Cardinals were going to swoop in there.

Once the Cards missed out on Eaton, they grabbed fowler within 2 days because they couldn't leave that position unfilled.

If the Pirates and Astros are convinced the other doesn't have a competitive deal on the table, then they can wait on the White Sox.

Its worth taking a bit less of a price than TOTAL FLEECING and just dealing Quintana now to avoid being burned by the ever-present threats (even in the case of Mr Consistent himself) of ineffectiveness or injury. Could you imagine if Q busts his shoulder in May for a terrible Sox team and getting basically nothing in return for him?

This isn't an argument to give him away, but it is an argument to be a little more flexible on the asking price.