Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I just think we might be better served with a possibly elite CF than a passable 2B. I mean, in a post-shift world, 2B is a spot where Neil Walker and Daniel Murphy can fake it. I feel like Moncada's toolset may be wasted there.

Injury chances at second base are greater than in centerfield, unless you're Aaron Rowand or the kid we got from St.Louis last year.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
All we need is for the Rockies and a mystery club to jump into the rumor mill and we have full on pandemonium

So far Astros, Pirates and Yankees have been strongly connected to Quintana

The latest MLBTR post on Q sums up this entire thread nicely ( minus all of the comedic insanity ). Reality has been almost as full of s*** as the mock GM hamfoolery thread.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I just think we might be better served with a possibly elite CF than a passable 2B. I mean, in a post-shift world, 2B is a spot where Neil Walker and Daniel Murphy can fake it. I feel like Moncada's toolset may be wasted there.

I have heard that argument as well; that range and arm strength no longer matter in the middle infield as much as soft hands.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
This would also be a nice haul. Torres and Rutherford might be our two top position prospects before Moncada was traded for.

I would think any Q + Robertson deal would have to start with Torres and Rutherford, and then the negotiation over the final couple pieces happens. For that reason, I really like how the Yankees system matches up with the Sox.

Haven't heard much from Houston since the Gammons rumor, but I wonder how much of that is that they just don't have the prospects that the Pirates and Yankees have to get Q.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
If that framework actually got done, it would be by far the best trade of the off season for the White Sox.

I agree, I have a hard time believing that Q, let alone Q and Robertson is going to return less than Eaton and not be of a similar or greater scope than the Sale trade, its becomes even more pronounced if the sox are kicking in cash (which is fine because anything making more than league minimum should be considered a dead money on the roster, so you might as well spend it for potential future wins).

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
I would think any Q + Robertson deal would have to start with Torres and Rutherford, and then the negotiation over the final couple pieces happens. For that reason, I really like how the Yankees system matches up with the Sox.

Haven't heard much from Houston since the Gammons rumor, but I wonder how much of that is that they just don't have the prospects that the Pirates and Yankees have to get Q.

If they are willing to deal Bregman, they can get a deal done with the White Sox. My gut feeling is that with as by their book as they are, they have no desire to get it done. They are almost Vulcan in that once their logic tells them no, they won't do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
If they are willing to deal Bregman, they can get a deal done with the White Sox. My gut feeling is that with as by their book as they are, they have no desire to get it done. They are almost Vulcan in that once their logic tells them no, they won't do it.

Bregman is not, and should not, be traded from the Astros.

The trend we have seen time and time again is that teams are unwilling to deal pieces that are expected to contribute to the 2017 roster right away. Bregman is penned in as their starting 3B and a franchise player.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
@BNightengale reports Sox -Yanks expanded Quintana trade talks with D Robby. Pirates /Rangers and Astros still very engaged on Quintana

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/813790388221804545

Hopefully a bidding war

Somebody needs to just cave, give up the big kahuna, and land Quintana

Pirates arguably need him the most due to his contract. They are totally unable to sign any big ticket free agents due to payroll constraints moving forward.

We keep hearing about talks, but nothing regarding any advancement towards a deal.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
@BNightengale reports Sox -Yanks expanded Quintana trade talks with D Robby. Pirates /Rangers and Astros still very engaged on Quintana

Hopefully a bidding war

You just have to think one of either Alex Bregman, Gleyber Torres, or Austin Meadows will soon be a part of the Chicago White Sox organization. Just too much competition at this point for that not to happen!

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)

Hopefully a bidding war

Makes the leak idea more credible IMO but also has truth. Hahn turning up the heat trying to push a deal across the finish line? Urgggggg

ud60o.jpg

If Bregman was ever an option we'd have him instead of Moncada and Sale would be in Houston right now.

He wasn't an option for Sale and won't be for Q. If you throw in Frazier?? Possibly, but I still think they would have found a way to have Sale on their team if he was a possibility.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
If Bregman was ever an option we'd have him instead of Moncada and Sale would be in Houston right now.

He wasn't an option for Sale and won't be for Q. If you throw in Frazier?? Possibly, but I still think they would have found a way to have Sale on their team if he was a possibility.

Bregman never was on the table, neither was Dansby Swanson, Trea Turner or Andrew Benintendi

Once a player contributes at the mlb level it is much harder to justify moving that player in a trade. It is addition by subtraction.

Teams want to preserve the mlb roster in order to improve and deal from the bank of prospects

If rumors are true about the Yankees wanting Quintana and Robertson (with Sox eating some salary), I think we can easily get 4-5 players for them.

Torres, Frazier, Sheffield, and Fowler would probably do it if we were able to get both Frazier and Torres.

If we only got to pick one I could see: Torres/Frazier, Rutherford, Sheffield, Andujar, and Fowler.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Can we stop suggesting Bregman as a potential return? Not happening.

Sure, we can do that, as soon as people like Bob Nightengale stop suggesting the Astros are still "very engaged" on discussions about Quintana, while rumors of Austin Meadows and Gleyber Torres being possible pieces in a deal continue to be being bandied about.

I highly, highly, highly doubt we're getting Bregman but I'm not sure why people have to tell others to stop bringing him up. Things change and players are only untouchable until they're not. Like I said, I highly doubt he's on the table right now but nobody here knows what's going on in these negotiations.