Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Taking back Taillon makes sense on paper but yeah, there's no room in the rotation for him. So yeah, I'd be less happy about that....

Basically the end result of taking Taillon back is that by the middle part of 2018 we're going to have to trade Rodon.

Did I miss a reference to getting back Taillon here?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
He definitely has a point. Offense has been the problem. If it is going to be so easy to acquire, why wasn't it acquired?

I understand you need some pitchers, but the game is getting away from starting pitching, except for a #1 or #2 guy being important. It's about the bullpen, and pitching prospects bust at a higher rate than hitters. Moncada was a great start, but there needs to be a lot more. Unless they plan on trading Rodon, Q is pretty much their last asset to get top of the line offensive prospects.

You can only trade pitching for hitting if you have a surplus of pitching. The Sox didn't have that, that's why we trotted Shields Danks and Ranaudo out there. I would prefer some high level position players but stockpiling arms isn't so bad either.

The Sox haven't finished top 5 in the AL in era since 2009. They've had good but not elite pitching. A big problem with that has been the lack of depth in the rotation and bullpen which is one reason it's nice to add a lot of arms. At the same time, we're not trying to win next year and probably not in 2018 either, you get the best talent available and when you're ready to win then you can start to piece things together. You don't start to fill in holes when you're not going to put a winning team on the field until probably 2019, you just accumulate talent.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
Once I say a name once that's how I'll say it for the rest of my life, regardless if it's the correct pronunciation or not. It's a big problem I have and I wish I could fix it. Dems da breaks.

Also, it's not insecurity. I just don't like people making assumptions about me when they don't know the first thing about who I am or what I do.

And I'll chime in here and there from now on I guess.

Dats the s***.

Some people here take this place seriously - others, not so much. I remain fixed in the latter and suggest you stay in that group as well. It's like a microcosm of twitter.

You do you and f*** anyone else that's not on board.

Don't waste air -- or just make poop jokes instead.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm only following this thread now to see Dick Allen respond to WSD.

He called me a know it all dickhead. Apparently he doesn't read his twitter. His entire post was him telling everyone how great he is. The video is there for everyone to see.

If he wants to punch me in the face, we can have it arranged. I think when the moment arrives, however, the gum will fall out of his mouth. I have heard of can't walk and chew gum at the same time. That was the first time I ever saw someone who just can't chew gum at the same time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Did I miss a reference to getting back Taillon here?

Was it Glasnow? My Bad, I keep crossing them up. Same basic concept. Glasnow should start this year in the big leagues if healthy. Add up the pitchers we have and by the time we have Kopech ready to go we're out of slots in the rotation unless Rodon is moved.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
I did not realize how YOUNG Rutherford is.

Watching some of the pre-draft stuff last year, I was semi-hoping the Sox would have taken him at 10. If they get him, that's a lot of players from last year's draft to get excited about.

Rutherford is a headline piece for Quintana, getting him as the 2nd player would be more than acceptable. If they can find a way to get Bell or somehow Meadows (perhaps Glasnow goes to NYY?) + Rutherford plus a Tumminia guy or two its a slam dunk and better than anything I would've anticipated. Glasnow and Rutherford + is fine, but I'd do whatever I could to get Bell/Meadows instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
That is pretty ridiculously optimistic when it comes to pitchers and bust rates.

not really. They have one in rodon. So they need 4 of the following

Giolito

Kopech

Lopez

Glasnow

Dunning

Newman

Hansen

Adams

Only half need to perform and they should have a lower bust rate than the average prospects as many of them have had really good success in the upper minors.

There is always a risk with pitchers however with the numbers, I think its a pretty good chance.

Was it Glasnow? My Bad, I keep crossing them up. Same basic concept. Glasnow should start this year in the big leagues if healthy. Add up the pitchers we have and by the time we have Kopech ready to go we're out of slots in the rotation unless Rodon is moved.

I think you just cross that bridge when you get there. Someone may get hurt, someone may be ineffective, guys may find really nice homes in the bullpen. If the Sox are in a position where they have 5 elite starters and another elite SP prospect on the farm trust me, nobody will be complaining. That said they need another couple position player prospects and unless they really plan on Robertson for Robles/Conforto (yeah, right) this Quintana trade is their last opportunity to really load up on premier hitting talents until the draft.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
He called me a know it all dickhead. Apparently he doesn't read his twitter. His entire post was him telling everyone how great he is. The video is there for everyone to see.

If he wants to punch me in the face, we can have it arranged. I think when the moment arrives, however, the gum will fall out of his mouth. I have heard of can't walk and chew gum at the same time. That was the first time I ever saw someone who just can't chew gum at the same time.

And he talked to other people he trusts who confirmed it. :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)

Ooh damn. Is this why WSD tweeted for us to get some popcorn ready?