Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I hate hate hate the prospect of Giolito being a large part of any return. As the Fangraphs article stated, he was downright awful in the big leagues and had issues getting strikeouts in the high minors too.

Well, I mean, if they're getting Q and Eaton, I definitely want Giolito involved. There would be at minimum 6-7 players coming back to the Sox. I doubt they'll trade Turner, so you clean out their system.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
If you want 3 top 50 prospects and 7 other players, you didn't learn much yesterday.

Yah, well, still a bit surprised that the backend of that deal wasn't stronger, but this is two players versus one. 4+4=8. I think Ross, Giolito, Robles, Lopez, Kieboom, Severino and maybe 1 or 2 others isn't crazy for two guys like Eaton and Q with 9 years of combined control for crazy AAVs.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Not sure how this deal is possible without Turner, Giolito and Robles.

Otherwise I want Ross, Giolito, Robles, Lopez and my pick of 5-6 other prospects.

As much as we all want Turner it's not going to happen.

Maybe a Gioloto, Robles, Lopez, Servino, Difo, Freede. I can also see us getting back other MLB guys along with Gioloto, Robles, and Lopez such as Ross or Taylor or something along those lines. But there aren't going to give up Turner it just isn't going to happen.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)

Maybe a Gioloto, Robles, Lopez, Servino, Difo, Freede. I can also see us getting back other MLB guys along with Gioloto, Robles, and Lopez such as Ross or Taylor or something along those lines. But there aren't going to give up Turner it just isn't going to happen.

Ya, I think we all know that. Just spitballing at this point

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)

If the Nationals get Eaton, that would be the one way to free a Trea Turner in the deal.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
I want this trade just not sure you could get Robles. You CANNOT trade both of those guys to Washington and not get Turner.

For those two guys I would want Turner, Robles, Giolito/Lopez +. The Nats won't do that, so I don't see how it makes sense to package those guys together.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
Ya, I think we all know that. Just spitballing at this point

This could be an interesting trade with the Nats, if we get Robles and Gioloto we can move our farm ranking from 25 (before sale trade) to 15 (after sale) to atleast a top ten farm in two days. Not sure if I expect anything more this week but them continuing to lay groundwork to see who will give the most talent back.

I almost prefer to try and see if the braves are interested I love Albies and the young kid who compares t0 Miggy.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Add Jones and get everyone

Between the two of them they are averaging 9 total war the last three years, and have 9 years of control, through both their primes, at a toal of $65 million. Not to mention there are options on the end, so you aren't even fully committed if there is a bad injury to one or the other.

I can't see how you could possible get fair value from one organization for that.

Edited by shakes

I understand that the odds are slim on Turner. There is no way you package your two best remaining assets unless he is involved.

Both guys have extreme value. Many feel Q is on par with Sale or just shy. He is not as dominant or talented, sure, but he is every bit as consistent, cheap and with that extra controllability he is in the same conversations. I expect less but not marginally less.

If you're "throwing in Eaton" then there is no way you do not get Turner. I don't care what they say, you aren't trading just to trade. This has to be strategic. Selling them individually is far more strategic if you do not get everything made available to you in a package deal.

I get it, they don't want to move him but part of that reason is the hole it creates. With Espinosa back, or having received his offer, that hole is likely in the OF (where Turner played). Eaton plugs that hole for the next 4-5 years.

He and Q give them 2 All-Star (5+ War) players to help mix in with Harper. In the event they do need to pony up for Harper, these two contracts will give them the ability to wash some of that money on the front end. It's a no brainer to me if I'm Washington. You're sacrificing what? An extra year of control that Turner has. And if he peaks, what is he? A 6-7 War player? You'll get that from these two. Easily.

We can say two all stars all we want but a lot of Eaton's value was due to RF defense. I have a hard time saying Q + Eaton make the NATIONALS* that much better considering they'd be losing a possibly better CFer in Turner and already have such a dominant rotation.

And so then if we get back Robles/Lopez and 3-4 more would we be happy? I don't know. But do sox think nats prospects are superior to other "higher" returns? If they feel that way then maybe do it. I wanted us to target players we thought would be the stars, not just deal templates that say what fair value is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
We can say two all stars all we want but a lot of Eaton's value was due to RF defense. I have a hard time saying Q + Eaton make the NATIONALS* that much better considering they'd be losing a possibly better CFer in Turner and already have such a dominant rotation.

And so then if we get back Robles/Lopez and 3-4 more would we be happy? I don't know. But do sox think nats prospects are superior to other "higher" returns? If they feel that way then maybe do it. I wanted us to target players we thought would be the stars, not just deal templates that say what fair value is.

Its likely that Turner stays in CF and they would place Eaton in LF. They are talking about doing the same thing with McCutchen.

Is something like this enough for Q: RHp Francis Martes, OF Kyle Tucker, 3B JD Davis, OF Jason Martin, LHP Reymin Guduan? Martes is #29 in baseball and their top prospect. Tucker is #50 overall. JD Davis is bat first 3B. Martin is tools flyer with big power in lower minors and Guduan is LH reliever that hits 100 with bad control.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Is something like this enough for Q: RHp Francis Martes, OF Kyle Tucker, 3B JD Davis, OF Jason Martin, LHP Reymin Guduan? Martes is #29 in baseball and their top prospect. Tucker is #50 overall. JD Davis is bat first 3B. Martin is tools flyer with big power in lower minors and Guduan is LH reliever that hits 100 with bad control.

Replace Martin and Guduan with Reed and I'm in.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Dan Hayes told me the Nationals really arent that interested in Q.

That's interesting. Lots of conflicting reports today about the Nat's and Q. It's fine with me because it leaves the Nat's to discuss Eaton with the Sox and the Sox can discuss Q with Houston, Yanks and whomever else.

With the Rockies signing both Fowler and Desmond, I wonder if they try to build a package for Q? Maybe something centered around Dahl?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Replace Martin and Guduan with Reed and I'm in.

JD Davis really reminds me of Matt Davidson as a prospect

Plus power, fringe average hit tool, lots of strikeouts, tick above average arm, slightly below average fielder

The stats look good from a distance, but when you start to dig into them and see a 26.5% K% in AA with a downward trend in batting average and OBP