Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
I would not be shocked if Rodon gets moved. There have been little hints about it in the past, even yesterday when RH was talking about Sale he said he has "others" that fit the description of front line pitchers that teams can plug into playoff rotations. I know that Rodon seems like the kind of asset you hang on to, but given his agent and his performance in the second half, I could see the Sox moving him to try to build a core at the lower levels. Kopech is likely two years away as is Hansen, Burdi would be too if they decide to make him a starter. If they get the right deal for him, I think Rodon could get moved soon as well.

So we're going to move a 23yr old guy with 5 years of control & massive upside for someone else with 5/6 years of control? This makes little sense to me, especially since I don't see anyone overpaying for Rodon right now. Hahn just mentioned Anderson and Rodon yesterday as two players to be building around.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
No way New York parts with that much for Quintana and Robertson

Torres is not going anywhere after destroying the Arizona Fall League

People were saying the same about Moncada and Kopech.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I would not be shocked if Rodon gets moved. There have been little hints about it in the past, even yesterday when RH was talking about Sale he said he has "others" that fit the description of front line pitchers that teams can plug into playoff rotations. I know that Rodon seems like the kind of asset you hang on to, but given his agent and his performance in the second half, I could see the Sox moving him to try to build a core at the lower levels. Kopech is likely two years away as is Hansen, Burdi would be too if they decide to make him a starter. If they get the right deal for him, I think Rodon could get moved soon as well.

Er, moving Rodon makes 0 sense.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
No way New York parts with that much for Quintana and Robertson

Torres is not going anywhere after destroying the Arizona Fall League

What if you drop Rutherford ?

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
So we're going to move a 23yr old guy with 5 years of control & massive upside for someone else with 5/6 years of control? This makes little sense to me, especially since I don't see anyone overpaying for Rodon right now. Hahn just mentioned Anderson and Rodon yesterday as two players to be building around.

I'm not saying it makes a ton of sense, just that its been hinted about in different places. There was something put out a while back that said everyone is on the table including Rodon. So when they called him out specifically and Rick has been puffing him up as TOR starter even in his PC yesterday, that there is some chance. It also could be that I am reading too much into what they have said too...

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm not saying it makes a ton of sense, just that its been hinted about in different places. There was something put out a while back that said everyone is on the table including Rodon. So when they called him out specifically and Rick has been puffing him up as TOR starter even in his PC yesterday, that there is some chance. It also could be that I am reading too much into what they have said too...

Moving Rodon would not make sense right now. He is a piece you keep as he is under control for 5 more seasons and can get better.

I really want no HS kid drafted this year as a major part of any deal the Sox work out. If you add them in as a throw in, thats fine. Lets get them a track record in pro ball and make sure their abilities match their high school mix tapes before rolling the dice. High draft picks, especially HS draft picks have a ridiculous bust rate. So as much as I would have liked someone like Rogers, Pint, Perez, or Rutherford in the draft, I want no part of them right now unless it is as a throw in.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
I really want no HS kid drafted this year as a major part of any deal the Sox work out. If you add them in as a throw in, thats fine. Lets get them a track record in pro ball and make sure their abilities match their high school mix tapes before rolling the dice. High draft picks, especially HS draft picks have a ridiculous bust rate. So as much as I would have liked someone like Rogers, Pint, Perez, or Rutherford in the draft, I want no part of them right now unless it is as a throw in.

This is ridiculous. Its going to be a long rebuild process. Go get the most talented prospects, period. If Yankees won't give up Torres or Frazier, Rutherford is the next best thing, IMO. The dude is going to rake.

Here's Sickels' Yankees prospect list that just dropped:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/6/1...spects-for-2017

Seems to be the Nationals would be a perfect team to trade with for Q and even Robertson. The Nationals have about a 2 year window to go all in, the Sox are in rebuild now. The Nats have some intriguing prospects. The Nationals are also looking to take a flier on a closer (enter Robertson)....and Q + Robertson trade for ???? I think Giolitto and Robles would be the foundation of such a trade.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
This is ridiculous. Its going to be a long rebuild process. Go get the most talented prospects, period. If Yankees won't give up Torres or Frazier, Rutherford is the next best thing, IMO. The dude is going to rake.

Here's Sickels' Yankees prospect list that just dropped:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/6/1...spects-for-2017

Or Rutherford is this years Courtney Hawkins. I am not trading all star caliber players for HS guys with less than a full season under their belt. Sure if they give up Torres, I would take Rutehrford as a secondary piece as long as their is something like Acevedo and Torrens in the deal as well.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Seems to be the Nationals would be a perfect team to trade with for Q and even Robertson. The Nationals have about a 2 year window to go all in, the Sox are in rebuild now. The Nats have some intriguing prospects. The Nationals are also looking to take a flier on a closer (enter Robertson)....and Q + Robertson trade for ???? I think Giolitto and Robles would be the foundation of such a trade.

I think the Nationals makes less sense than the Astros. Their 2-year window means Quintana's extra year of control isn't as valuable to them.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
Or Rutherford is this years Courtney Hawkins. I am not trading all star caliber players for HS guys with less than a full season under their belt. Sure if they give up Torres, I would take Rutehrford as a secondary piece as long as their is something like Acevedo and Torrens in the deal as well.

Hawkins was "tools" guy and "a football player". Rutherford is a baseball player and going to be a hitter, just like Collins should be.

I'm not suggesting to trade Q for Rutherford as the headliner. Just saying to ignore a player's talent because of his age or draft year is absurd and ignorant. Get the best players we can. Not the closest to the Majors.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Hawkins was "tools" guy and "a football player". Rutherford is a baseball player and going to be a hitter, just like Collins should be.

I'm not suggesting to trade Q for Rutherford as the headliner. Just saying to ignore a player's talent because of his age or draft year is absurd and ignorant. Get the best players we can. Not the closest to the Majors.

^Buy this man a beer

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm all for acquiring the best players possible, but for the position players close to the majors, I think I'd target outfielders or corner infielders above ss. Interestingly, however, many of the top prospects happen to be ss.

Crazy thing is how the SS have such great hit tools vs. OF that are a lot more raw hit tools now.

Basically if you are athletic people are pushing you to SS. I bet it used to be CF.

Trading a guy who is an ace with 4 years of cost control left seems like a pretty risky proposition. I'm open to it, but Q is probably the last of all the guys I'd move. I'd move Eaton, Melky, Robertson, Jones, and Abreu first (again depending on value).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Crazy thing is how the SS have such great hit tools vs. OF that are a lot more raw hit tools now.

Basically if you are athletic people are pushing you to SS. I bet it used to be CF.

I think it is moreso that so many of these guys have been the best player on their team their entire life. Generally, if you're RH, and you're the best player on your team, you're at SS if you're not on the mound. So most guys have SS backgrounds, and then generally get moved off of it as they go to college and then the pros.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Trading a guy who is an ace with 4 years of cost control left seems like a pretty risky proposition. I'm open to it, but Q is probably the last of all the guys I'd move. I'd move Eaton, Melky, Robertson, Jones, and Abreu first (again depending on value).

Just not sure we have that luxury.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
I think it is moreso that so many of these guys have been the best player on their team their entire life. Generally, if you're RH, and you're the best player on your team, you're at SS if you're not on the mound. So most guys have SS backgrounds, and then generally get moved off of it as they go to college and then the pros.

I think you're both correct.

But what do we do with these guys if we acquire them and they are just about MLB ready?

It makes me think I'm targeting other close guys or else some guys farther away, tbh.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)

It's always been SS. Most pro baseball players have been a SS at some level. It's always been where you put your best player.