2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Couple other thoughts from great podcast:

- still yet to hear Hostetler mention anything about Singer's stuff. It's all about his competitiveness

- definitely questions amongst Sox scouts about Madrigal's power. One scout thought he could put on weight still

Do you have a link? I hit the link on NBC or Garfien's page and I hear a podcast about Wellington Castillo.

Upon further review, I think I’m all in on Madrigal.  Been going back and forth between him & Bohm (assuming no chance at Mize) and while Bohm may provide the higher ceiling (if he can stick at 3B) I just feel like Madrigal provides a much better floor and offers a unique skillset that this system desperately needs.  Ultimately I’ll be happy with either, just praying we don’t go with someone like Singer.

The interview was really interesting with some good high level views of prospects but I wouldn’t really extrapolate any insight into their draft. He talked about Madrigal because he was asked about him.

i thought it was interesting him saying they didn’t feel the way about the burger draft that they did about Collins.

also I guessed the temper tantrum player was Romero.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The interview was really interesting with some good high level views of prospects but I wouldn’t really extrapolate any insight into their draft. He talked about Madrigal because he was asked about him.

i thought it was interesting him saying they didn’t feel the way about the burger draft that they did about Collins.

also I guessed the temper tantrum player was Romero.

Pretty positive they wanted Beck last year, possibly Adell also

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pretty positive they wanted Beck last year, possibly Adell also

I thought someone else said Adell was #1 on their board last year (or at least of guys they thought they had a shot at). He also has been killing it so I might just be projecting so that I think Hostetler is better so that I'm more confident in our pick this year.

Also I loved him being so honest about Laz RIvera, both in that he kind of forgot who he was and that he was probably picked as an org guy, and that he thinks he should be in Winston-Salem. I thought Rivera might just be doing good because he is old for the level, but it sounds like the organization thinks they might actually have something. 

It was also interesting to hear about Gavin Sheets making a swing change (presumably to hit it in the air more) and that it might only finally be starting to set in fully. 

What did you guys think about him talking about Bren Spillane? That thing about the contacts was pretty huge when you consider how great of eye sight almost every major leaguer has. Spillane may still have some strikeout issues, but if you can assume that he is just now seeing spin and stuff like that, you can probably project more on his hit tool improving than you usually can for college guys. With his speed he should be able to play an outfield corner and I heard his arm is pretty good, it could be a nice high upside college pick in like the 3rd round, much like Luis Gonzalez last year.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

One other thing, pretty sure the game he had Getz watch with him at ACCT was Griffin Roberts start

I didn't have time to look it up, but he gave enough info that we could probably figure it out. Didn't Roberts do really well? Because Hostetler joked saying the guys always did bad when Getz sees them, so I thought maybe Bart because I think he struggled in the tournament. 

28 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I really wish there were a pitcher in this draft (after Mize) who was a clear cut top 10 pick, a guy with good stuff and not "competitiveness" or "craftiness" like Singer/Liberatore... 

Isn't Singer pretty much an absolute lock to go top 10?  Isn't his stuff pretty darn well regarded?  Hasn't his control been pretty impeccable?  From what I have read, there is a lot more there than craftiness.  

The scouts (public ones anyway) are all over the board on Singer.  

I agree on the grittiness and craftiness...those are really ancillary traits. I can understand not picking a player because you think they lack the toughness; but having it isn't a reason to take a player.

After listening to Hostetler, and his comments on the players, JR and KW's involvement in the draft, etc., I predict Singer.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You better be sure he's the "next Aaron Nola" when you draft a Singer.

We can't afford to whiff twice in five years on Top 10 draft picks spent on pitching, not to mention the still (relatively) uncertain future of Rodon for 2020 and 2021.

This reminds me of the 2014 draft when we were saying “if you draft Nola you better be sure he’s the next Michael Wacha”

Who are the 7 guys, the Sox are considering for their first pick? Hostetler referred to the "list," but never named them. I would assume that it's Mize, Singer, Bohm, Madrigal, Bart, not necessarily in that order, but who are the other two? 

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Who are the 7 guys, the Sox are considering for their first pick? Hostetler referred to the "list," but never named them. I would assume that it's Mize, Singer, Bohm, Madrigal, Bart, not necessarily in that order, but who are the other two? 

Swaggerty and a prep would be my guess.  He didn't mention Swaggerty; that makes him my 2nd guess for who the Sox might take.  Swaggerty is kind of hard to gauge; sunbelt isn't a bad league, but it's not one of the top leagues either.  Some say he had a down year, but his stats look about the same to me.

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Two of Swaggerty, Kelenic, India most likely.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I am interested to hear sox view on carter stewart. They have seemed to be big on trackman schools in college (I seem to recall Burger and Sheets both being good exit velo players), and he is the trackman darling of pitchers. But he's a high school RHP. 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am interested to hear sox view on carter stewart. They have seemed to be big on trackman schools in college (I seem to recall Burger and Sheets both being good exit velo players), and he is the trackman darling of pitchers. But he's a high school RHP. 

I'm sure the sox like him, but I highly doubt he is being considered for #4 overall. High school pitching is a huge risk to draft that high up, especially a right hander. 

All signs point to Madrigal or Singer being the guy, but I'm curious to hear who everyone thinks we should try to target in round two and three?