Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
It's funny but it's only been 5 days since morosi's astros tweets and us lining up astros offers then the rumbunter tweets and its back to pirates.

Best/most annoying part about all of this is the shifting every five days to a new headliner.

NO new rumors on WED sad.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)
My second proposal was Meadows + Glasnow + Newman + one of the listed players to round out the package

Fowler, to me, looks like his ceiling will be a 4th outfielder at the mlb level, possibly a below average regular? He is solid defensively, but I am not sold on the bat or power at all

OK, I follow you. That proposal makes sense as long as Huntington is willing to part with Meadows. The fact that the Pirates are still in negotiations after all this time gives me some hope that one of Meadows or Bell is on the table. I like what Pitt has to offer if the package is headlined by Meadows or even Bell but if they are off the table then it's time to move on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
I don't think a trade to the Yankees will happen. Cashman has spent too much time convincing other people in the FO that they need to build from within. I don't think he will abandon it. He will follow the cubs model. Allows the hitters to develop. Then when the time is right in 2 years, go buy Harper and pitching.

A lot of time I believe teams that say that. For some reason that no matter how many times the Yankees say it, I don't believe them.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)
I am honestly tired of hearing about rumors but no active this is getting annoying.

You are convinced we are only dumping players that were involved in the Drake stuff, so in your mind you should have nothing to worry about anyway.,

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
Honestly, any deal with Meadows + either Keller/Newman makes me extremely happy. I literally don't even care what the others are. It could be Meadows/Keller + two members of the grounds crew.

This I 100% agree with. Meadows, Newman/Keller, & Craig would be a great trade for us. If Meadows is included, you can't really expect more than that.

I feel pretty good about all of the trades mentioned.

Honestly perspective wise, we have been looking at the top prospects in the game for like 6 months now, to the point that any top 200 prospect looks like garbage.

But then you think about how much you like players like Jordan Stephens or Alex Call, and those are "just guys" to us on other teams. But we are talking about likely 11 top 30 team prospects to our team for 3 guys, drafts, and fincancial flexibility.

I'm pretty confident we're gonna end up well unless Quintana gets injured before we trade him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
I feel pretty good about all of the trades mentioned.

Honestly perspective wise, we have been looking at the top prospects in the game for like 6 months now, to the point that any top 200 prospect looks like garbage.

But then you think about how much you like players like Jordan Stephens or Alex Call, and those are "just guys" to us on other teams. But we are talking about likely 11 top 30 team prospects to our team for 3 guys, drafts, and fincancial flexibility.

I'm pretty confident we're gonna end up well unless Quintana gets injured before we trade him.

I get what you are saying, but I'm pretty sure most Sox fans are realistic about who is valuable in tiers. Guys like stephens and call exist in pretty much every organisations top thirty. They are back end of a trade filler or guys that can be dealt in smaller deals.

There is a big value drop after meadows in the pirates system.

Glasnow is not without big questions about his poor control.

Bell is a terrible defensive player, even at first

Newman has zero power, value tied to sticking at ss

Keller pitched well against A ball competition. Forearm issues in the past.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
I get what you are saying, but I'm pretty sure most Sox fans are realistic about who is valuable in tiers. Guys like stephens and call exist in pretty much every organisations top thirty. They are back end of a trade filler or guys that can be dealt in smaller deals.

There is a big value drop after meadows in the pirates system.

Glasnow is not without big questions about his poor control.

Bell is a terrible defensive player, even at first

Newman has zero power, value tied to sticking at ss

Keller pitched well against A ball competition. Forearm issues in the past.

How many prospects in the game are worth a damn to you? 10? 20? Glasnow, Bell, & Newman are all legit top 50 prospects. If you're s***ting on all these guys, you are going to be incredibly dissapointed with our Quintana return.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
How many prospects in the game are worth a damn to you? 10? 20? Glasnow, Bell, & Newman are all legit top 50 prospects. If you're s***ting on all these guys, you are going to be incredibly dissapointed with our Quintana return.

Take it easy there.

Who's to say the sox are even interested in dealing with Pittsburgh beyond just having conversations? The sense is no deal is close to happening as of right now.

Prospects are very worthwhile, but I think it's best to take a conservative approach that acknowledges a players ceiling, but is more realistic about what he will become.

Top 100 prospects flame out all the time. Non top 100 prospects can become stars.

Hahn and company have a rebuilding plan that may or may not include the aforementioned prospects. We can only speculate.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
Take it easy there.

Who's to say the sox are even interested in dealing with Pittsburgh beyond just having conversations? The sense is no deal is close to happening as of right now.

Prospects are very worthwhile, but I think it's best to take a conservative approach that acknowledges a players ceiling, but is more realistic about what he will become.

Top 100 prospects flame out all the time. Non top 100 prospects can become stars.

Hahn and company have a rebuilding plan that may or may not include the aforementioned prospects. We can only speculate.

obviously their rebuilding plan does not include the aforementioned prospects yet because they haven't managed to pull off a trade. Along those same lines, I think it's become quite clear that the White Sox would be interested in several of these guys, a deal could be done if Pittsburgh was willing to move Meadows, and that Pittsburgh is particularly hesitant about moving Meadows.

I've already touched on this but I really think the Braves might be posturing for a big starter trade.

1) Most obvious: recent rumors for them on Q and Archer.

2) They attempted to get Brandon Phillips and then signed Sean Rodriguez. Would seem to indicate Albies is expendable, which a lot of Braves fans have been speculating.

3) They extended Inciarte, potentially making Acuna long-term expendable (I now he's far away).

4) The trade today . . . trading a useful OF and bullpen piece for more young lefties, which is exactly what they already have ton of.

After rejecting that massive offer for Archer (from the Astros) and then trading Smyly, I think it's totally possible the Rays hold onto Archer this year. Would seem to make Q the likely option.

This has already been somewhat touched on but Albies + Acuna + two of their young high-upside lefties makes a ton of sense. And I think there's been way too much smoke on them to think they aren't serious.

Edited by Username

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)

Take a look at the actual players instead of the prospect # in front of their name. Obviously both Bell and Newman have value and aren't bad by any means, but both deserve some scrutiny if we are trading a top SP for them. Do you really want the badly needed hitting prospects we get back for Q to possibly be a 2B and 1B that might not be able to hit 25 hr's between them? I'm all for the depth and we obviously need it, but no position value and no potential impact bat in return would worry me. It's not a deal anyone should cry over, but wanting a potential impact bat for Q shouldn't be unreasonable. And I don't believe the Pirates can offer that if Meadows isn't involved.

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 08:36 PM)
I've already touched on this but I really think the Braves might be posturing for a big starter trade.

1) Most obvious: recent rumors for them on Q and Archer.

2) They attempted to get Brandon Phillips and then signed Sean Rodriguez. Would seem to indicate Albies is expendable, which a lot of Braves fans have been speculating.

3) They extended Inciarte, potentially making Acuna long-term expendable (I now he's far away).

4) The trade today . . . trading a useful OF and bullpen piece for more young lefties, which is exactly what they already have ton of.

After rejecting that massive offer for Archer (from the Astros) and then trading Smyly, I think it's totally possible the Rays hold onto Archer this year.

This has already been somewhat touched on but Albies + Acuna + two of their young high-upside lefties makes a ton of sense. And I think there's been way too much smoke on them to think they aren't serious.

I agree that it definitely SEEMS like it, I just can't get past the idea that it makes so little sense for them to do it.

It's easy to see why it makes sense for many teams to get involved in a guy like Quintana when he's available (because it's so rare that that's the case), but if Hahn's price is really the FULL market price, given favorable selling conditions, it behooves a team like the Braves to pass. They really aren't that different from the Yankees in that regard -- both teams are seen to be "getting younger," but while both may be moving into the stage where MLB talent is worth buying, neither has moved past the stage where they shouldn't only be making deals where they feel like they came out ahead in one way or another. The types of deals we're all expecting Hahn is asking for are "you know you're paying top dollar but this is the final piece you need and flags fly forever" types of deals. The Pirates and the Astros could both be in situations where they see a contention opportunity that may not last more than a season or two, but the Yankees and Braves are still very much looking up at behemoths in their divisions, and should not be interested in paying top dollar for upgrades.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 07:38 PM)
Take a look at the actual players instead of the prospect # in front of their name. Obviously both Bell and Newman have value and aren't bad by any means, but both deserve some scrutiny if we are trading a top SP for them. Do you really want the badly needed hitting prospects we get back for Q to possibly be a 2B and 1B that might not be able to hit 25 hr's between them? I'm all for the depth and we obviously need it, but no position value and no potential impact bat in return would worry me. It's not a deal anyone should cry over, but wanting a potential impact bat for Q shouldn't be unreasonable. And I don't believe the Pirates can offer that if Meadows isn't involved.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a potential impact bat for Quintana. I want Meadows just as badly as everybody else and can acknowledge he's far and away the best prospect in Pittsburgh's system. He's no doubt the ideal headliner. But that doesn't diminish the fact that Glasnow, Bell, Keller, & Newman are excellent prospects and considered amongst the top 50 in the game by most publications. They each have their own flaws/weaknesses (like most prospects do), but let's not act like they're at the Basabe & Dunning level. Every single one of them would make a terrific secondary piece and an argument could be made for Glasnow and/or Bell being headliners depending on how positively you view them.

Personally, I'd hold my ground a while longer for Meadows and eventually push for a depth trade if they don't give in. IMO, Glasnow, Bell, & Newman would be an absolute haul and one I would take in a heartbeat. I'm doubtful the Pirates would do that deal, but that would be my price without having a positional headliner like Meadows.

Sounds like what I would expect to lead the package. Probably can't agree on a third piece. Doubt they want to trade Albies AND Acuna.

Yea I agree. The national prospect people either havent caught up on Acuna or have caught up on Acuna and just haven't communicated it yet. Acuna + Albies is in the neighborhood of Meadows + Bell value-wise right now.

I was brainstorming earlier and came up with Acuna, Riley, Pache and Foltynewicz/Wentz/Toussaint (really impossible to know which of the top 8 or 9 Atlanta pitchers the Sox really like). How does that sound to you, the Braves fan?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
Newcomb as the second piece would be bad

Is that based on a personal dislike of him? He seems to compare favorably too 100 listwise to other #2 pieces mentioned? To be fair my knowledge of the Pirates and Astros org is less than my knowledge of the Braves system but I'd think he would be a better second piece than Newman, but a worse second piece than Tucker.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
A lot of time I believe teams that say that. For some reason that no matter how many times the Yankees say it, I don't believe them.

He's been showing it the last few years. Before Chapman it's been awhile since their last big signing and he was really one of their own with a short stint with the Cubs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 09:36 PM)
The idea that Sean Rodriguez or a Brandon Phillips "rent-a-player" would be blocking Albies long-term seems pretty far-fetched.

The Braves are ATTEMPTING to be competitive this year, but they know their window won't begin until 2018 at the earliest, and more likely 2019.

Haha yeah obviously dude. But they have guys like Demeritte in the lower minors that are long-term options so a bridge makes sense. They're also in on Dozier, which should tell you something.