President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
It was a unite the right gathering, not a peaceful protest of the removal of a statue President doesn't want to comment until he has all the facts claims.

Not sure why you are responding to that with your comment, things like the drive by seem like we would have heard about that. I've heard a mix of some of those things from reports but comment sections have tendency to play telephone with real events. And when they fabricate I think it undercuts the many powerful true stories of Saturday.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
Not sure why you are responding to that with your comment, things like the drive by seem like we would have heard about that. I've heard a mix of some of those things from reports but comment sections have tendency to play telephone with real events. And when they fabricate I think it undercuts the many powerful true stories of Saturday.

The commander in chief gave us all a yahoo comment section alt right review of the situation. That shouldn't just scare and offend democrats. These fine people had their permit and were peacefully protesting when these people in all black with helmets and baseball bats...VICE News was with some of the supremists. One guy was packing 5 guns and a knife. In fact, he joked at the end he had so many weapons he forgot about the automatic weapon in his bag. That fine Nazi was just trying to protect himself vs. true evil.

I'm sure there are tons of BS on both sides of yahoo comments. I agree with the drive by assessement, it probably didn't happen, but it wouldn't be surprising some bad stuff happened that we didn't hear about. Death kind of takes up the news cycle.

Edited by Dick Allen

Why is the President any more likely to be truthful/trustworthy than Yahoo article commenters at this point? Just have to take everything with a grain of salt and draw your own biased conclusions regardless. Trump was fact checked by various organizations throughout the debates and found to be 30% truthful, roughly.

Btw, Trump also claimed to be paying even more careful attention than the news media itself, yet he didn't get the permit information correct, even.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
Why is the President any more likely to be truthful/trustworthy than Yahoo article commenters at this point? Just have to take everything with a grain of salt and draw your own biased conclusions regardless. Trump was fact checked by various organizations throughout the debates and found to be 30% truthful, roughly.

Btw, Trump also claimed to be paying even more careful attention than the news media itself, yet he didn't get the permit information correct, even.

Lmao. Only you

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:48 AM)
Lmao. Only you

Actually, he has a point. Trump gives a yahoo comments section equivalent with just about anything he comments about.

That doesn't make it OK to use yahoo comments as a source for news, but it does go to show how far the presidency position has fallen. It's to the point, you have to assume just about everything coming out of his mouth is bulls***.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm not sure "The president is an unreliable source, so I can use other unreliable sources to inform myself" is logical. I called out using comments on Yahoo news as unreliable, I don't need to ground that with naming other unreliable sources e.g. the president.

Also unreliable, chain emails from my uncle.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 07:48 AM)
Lmao. Only you

He has a lot more incentive to lie than the average anonymous person on the internet. What exactly has Robyn gained for her opportunity cost (time, in this case) invested in writing her post (roughly 10-15 minutes)?

Probably only a handful have changed their viewpoint because of a discussion here in the Filibuster or on a yahoo comments thread. But Trump can instantaneously reach a base/audience in the millions within seconds.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)
I'm not sure "The president is an unreliable source, so I can use other unreliable sources to inform myself" is logical. I called out using comments on Yahoo news as unreliable, I don't need to ground that with naming other unreliable sources e.g. the president.

Also unreliable, chain emails from my uncle.

There's not a single, unassailable source of news information that this board could agree upon...if there is/was, would love to hear it.

By definition, for roughly 35% of the country, only Trump, Fox News and the Wall Street Journal are reliable.

Hardly anyone ever reads the likes of Time, Newsweek and US News & World Report anymore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
There's not a single, unassailable source of news information that this board could agree upon...if there is/was, would love to hear it.

By definition, for roughly 35% of the country, only Trump, Fox News and the Wall Street Journal are reliable.

Hardly anyone ever reads the likes of Time, Newsweek and US News & World Report anymore.

Maybe, I think overall though people would agree that Youtube and Yahoo comment sections aren't worth much.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Maybe, I think overall though people would agree that Youtube and Yahoo comment sections aren't worth much.

There probably isn't a comment section on the internet that anyone should use as some sort of source for fact. It's just a great way for people hiding behind their computers to be obnoxious without repercussions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)

This. Also, that's the type of thing that leads us to this (13 Alabama Conservatives' reactions to Charlottesville)

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/201...charlottesville

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
There probably isn't a comment section on the internet that anyone should use as some sort of source for fact. It's just a great way for people hiding behind their computers to be obnoxious without repercussions.

There is one I found 100% reliable:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showforum=45

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 07:57 AM)
And this is why the "right winger" votes for Donald Trump, as this is the left's public view of anyone to the left of Hillary Clinton.

Maybe it because I truly fail to grasp how right wing policies benefit anyone other those who are independently wealthy and GOP politicians. I understand that they protecting their own interests, but other than that, I just dont see it. That post was meant to be satire. I was trying to point out how ridiculous these talking points are and while there may be a small bit of truth those from both points of view that the truth is somewhere else.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Maybe it because I truly fail to grasp how right wing policies benefit anyone other those who are independently wealthy and GOP politicians. I understand that they protecting their own interests, but ofher than that, i just dont see it.

I see the same thing happen on the left such as when workers in unions for things like steel and autos vote for people who want to bankrupt their companies with higher environmental regulations and free trade agreements that would send their jobs overseas to workers getting pennies on the dollar.

The reason you see this is because no person is fully represented by one party. It isn't a buffet where you can pick and choose your candidates positions one by one. It is more like your cable company where your options are Bundle A or Bundle B, even though you hate 90% of the channels in each bundle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
I see the same thing happen on the left such as when workers in unions for things like steel and autos vote for people who want to bankrupt their companies with higher environmental regulations and free trade agreements that would send their jobs overseas to workers getting pennies on the dollar.

The reason you see this is because no person is fully represented by one party. It isn't a buffet where you can pick and choose your candidates positions one by one. It is more like your cable company where your options are Bundle A or Bundle B, even though you hate 90% of the channels in each bundle.

The cable analogy is excellent.

I agree there is no real differences between D and R outside some social shenanigans, but Trump is in a class of his own.

RE: Unions-There is a reason they call it collective BARGAINING. First, there was no representation of labor in this country, and the working conditions were crappy to say the least. Fast forward 60 years, and there was an overcorrection where labor had most of the leverage, and they kept taking more and more from management. Management responds by breaking unions. Fast forward another 35 years and there is an overcorrection in the other direction, where management holds most of the cards again. Collective bargaining means both sides give concessions until both are happy. Then there should be no strike or lockout. However, there has to be common sense. Should laborers have job security. Yes. Should they never be able to be fired? No. If you are ass sitting for weeks on end then of course you should be s***canned. At the same time, Should management be able to fire someone because they challenged them constructively for business reasons? Absolutely not. Unions need to work the way they were intended to work. Unfortunately, both union leaders and management don't come to the table as rational negotiators.

RE: The environment: This is non-negotiable in my opinion. There should be absolutely zero tolerance for pollution. There is no level of pollution that is acceptable. If there is any chance whatsoever that humans can be harmed by exposure to chemicals/pollutants, then the regulation needs to exist. end of story. I have a B.S. in chemical engineering Read about cancer alley in Louisiana. It is why I don't want to work in the petrochemical industry. Also with regard to broader climate change action, I believe it exists, and that the results of inaction could bring about the extinction of humans. So, this is non-negotiable.

RE: D v. R- I think both sides have lost their base. Democrats have gone too far to the center( if not right of center) on most economic issues, and the GOP is just a bunch of loons, who are protecting really wealthy people's s***.

RE: Welfare. I live on it. It sucks. I work too. They take my benefits away, the more that I work. It is really messed up. I don't have the social ability/executive functioning skills to hold down a full time, non supportive position. I didn't know that until I actually tried to do it. If I would have known, I would not have attended post secondary education. Right now I try to maximize the combo of the two(welfare/work) for maximum personal income. Would it be easier to sit around all day and do nothing, yeah. But it is really depressing to do so. It is hazardous to my mental health. You'd never know how incredibly fulfilling even the most boring, repetitive position is until you've gone 18 months with no job and responses to applications that are less in number than the digits on one's hand. The programs for disabled individuals to find full time work is misguided. They throw everyone into a giant pool and treat everyone the same, trying to get them entry level jobs(like those you get when you're 16) just to get them off the books. They have no regard for level of functioning that said disabled person has. I wanted to get a job as a Chemical Engineer or Lab Tech. They tried to get me to apply for bagging groceries and washing dishes. They completely ignored the fact that I would have an easier time holding down the ChE job rather than the dishwasher job, with my level of functioning and disability. Physically not moving quickly and lack of manual dexterity is part of autism.

For those interested in Cancer Alley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
RE: Unions-There is a reason they call it collective BARGAINING. First, there was no representation of labor in this country, and the working conditions were crappy to say the least. Fast forward 60 years, and there was an overcorrection where labor had most of the leverage, and they kept taking more and more from management. Management responds by breaking unions. Fast forward another 35 years and there is an overcorrection in the other direction, where management holds most of the cards again. Collective bargaining means both sides give concessions until both are happy. Then there should be no strike or lockout. However, there has to be common sense. Should laborers have job security. Yes. Should they never be able to be fired? No. If you are ass sitting for weeks on end then of course you should be s***canned. At the same time, Should management be able to fire someone because they challenged them constructively for business reasons? Absolutely not. Unions need to work the way they were intended to work. Unfortunately, both union leaders and management don't come to the table as rational negotiators.

RE: The environment: This is non-negotiable in my opinion. There should be absolutely zero tolerance for pollution. There is no level of pollution that is acceptable. If there is any chance whatsoever that humans can be harmed by exposure to chemicals/pollutants, then the regulation needs to exist. end of story. I have a B.S. in chemical engineering Read about cancer alley in Louisiana. It is why I don't want to work in the petrochemical industry. Also with regard to broader climate change action, I believe it exists, and that the results of inaction could bring about the extinction of humans. So, this is non-negotiable.

RE: D v. R- I think both sides have lost their base. Democrats have gone too far to the center( if not right of center) on most economic issues, and the GOP is just a bunch of loons, who are protecting really wealthy people's s***.

RE: Welfare. I live on it. It sucks. I work too. They take my benefits away, the more that I work. It is really messed up. I don't have the social ability/executive functioning skills to hold down a full time, non supportive position. I didn't know that until I actually tried to do it. If I would have known, I would not have attended post secondary education. Right now I try to maximize the combo of the two(welfare/work) for maximum personal income. Would it be easier to sit around all day and do nothing, yeah. But it is really depressing to do so. It is hazardous to my mental health. You'd never know how incredibly fulfilling even the most boring, repetitive position is until you've gone 18 months with no job and responses to applications that are less in number than the digits on one's hand. The programs for disabled individuals to find full time work is misguided. They throw everyone into a giant pool and treat everyone the same, trying to get them entry level jobs(like those you get when you're 16) just to get them off the books. They have no regard for level of functioning that said disabled person has. I wanted to get a job as a Chemical Engineer or Lab Tech. They tried to get me to apply for bagging groceries and washing dishes. They completely ignored the fact that I would have an easier time holding down the ChE job rather than the dishwasher job, with my level of functioning and disability. Physically not moving quickly and lack of manual dexterity is part of autism.

For those interested in Cancer Alley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley

So you literally just made a list of excuses for why you would vote against your best interests, while questioning why people would vote against their best interests. It happens all of the time with the political system we have in place.