Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
I still don't know what the Astros are doing. Springer & Reddick are under control for four more seasons. I get Tucker would be nice to slide in alongside those guys, but they'll have plenty of other internal options to fill that spot in the coming years. And Martes has a huge ceiling but also has huge question marks. I just can't fathom how those two guys would be off limits for a legit TOR starter that fits in perfectly with their competitive window. I really think Luhnow will regret not addressing this need during the offseason because the cost of elite pitching will only go up as we get closer to the deadline.

Their rotation is already good and they have decent, quality depth.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
SSK, what would you think about a deal with the Pirates that was Glasnow, Bell, Keller and Hayes? You don't get the position headliner, but you get 3 position players that would all be in the top 5 position players in the Sox system immediately. I doubt that deal is on the table, but if I'm Hahn, that's a deal I'd jump at.

I guess my point here is that the Sox don't need a position player as a headliner, but they do need the majority of the return to be position players, and position players that are top 150 or so prospects.

Without Meadows in a deal, Pittsburgh is one of the last teams I would like to see a deal done with. Glasnow scares the crap out of me with his lack of control. I get the stuff is there, but to still be walking 6/9 IP is scary. Bell has a nice bat, but is a DH in waiting from the sounds of it. I think we can do better than that from somewhere else, and I would be willing to sit on Q until we did.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
Tucker just turned 20 so it's not like he's blocked over the course of the next 4 years (maybe 3) since he can theoretically come up after they are gone as well or in the last year.

That's all true, but the Astros have the makings of a championship roster. You don't pass on addressing what many consider to be their one significant need because of a prospect that might help five years down the road. As a GM, when you have a window you really need to go for it and I think Luhnow is making a mistake if Tucker & Martes are holding back a Quintana deal.

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Their rotation is already good and they have decent, quality depth.

The top of their rotation is far from good, at least from a certainty standpoint. Yes they have depth, which is what makes a guy like Martes expendable. Quintana completely changes the complexion of their rotation and makes them a much better playoff threat. IMO, the addition of Q would put them neck & neck with Boston & Cleveland.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
The top of their rotation is far from good, at least from a certainty standpoint. Yes they have depth, which is what makes a guy like Martes expendable. Quintana completely changes the complexion of their rotation and makes them a much better playoff threat. IMO, the addition of Q would put them neck & neck with Boston & Cleveland.

They already project better than Cleveland, even with no bounceback from Keuchel and average seasons from McHugh. Until one of those guys flops, or McCullers gets hurt, they don't really need Q.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Without Meadows in a deal, Pittsburgh is one of the last teams I would like to see a deal done with. Glasnow scares the crap out of me with his lack of control. I get the stuff is there, but to still be walking 6/9 IP is scary. Bell has a nice bat, but is a DH in waiting from the sounds of it. I think we can do better than that from somewhere else, and I would be willing to sit on Q until we did.

Fair enough. Leaving aside the specifics of the Pirates organization, would you want the Sox to take a deal with a pitcher as a headliner, and three top 150 position prospects coming over?

I don't think the Sox necessarily need a position player to headline a Q deal, but if they don't, they need to bring back 2 or 3 position players that would rank above Basabe in the Sox position prospect rankings. I'd be comfortable with a deal like that.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Fair enough. Leaving aside the specifics of the Pirates organization, would you want the Sox to take a deal with a pitcher as a headliner, and three top 150 position prospects coming over?

I don't think the Sox necessarily need a position player to headline a Q deal, but if they don't, they need to bring back 2 or 3 position players that would rank above Basabe in the Sox position prospect rankings. I'd be comfortable with a deal like that.

I absolutely want a top end hitting prospects in a deal. Not top 150, as good as possible of a hitter. I get that the top 10 is pretty much off limits in this trade market, but that is what I am shooting for, and building a deal from there. I am not super big on rankings, but I want the best hitter at a premium position I can get.

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the Cubs are not involved in discussions for Quintana. It just seems like such a great fit now and really smart long term budgeting for the future. Any prospect they give up would be duplicative of what they currently have cost controlled and performing at the MLB level. Meanwhile, adding Quintana takes all the bite out of Arrietta's demands that will most likely be in the $25 million per year range.

I really do not know how a smart executive like Epstein doesn't see this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 12:08 AM)
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-i...version=pgevoke

Pittsburgh writer suggests Quintana for Glasnow, Keller, & Bell. Would you guys take that deal if offered or wait for something better? I'm torn here because it's obviously a ton of talent, but I hate that the one positional prospect we'd be getting is more of a 1B/DH type.

I like this deal more than most of the Astros deals thrown around here, but man, WE NEED BATS!

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the Cubs are not involved in discussions for Quintana. It just seems like such a great fit now and really smart long term budgeting for the future. Any prospect they give up would be duplicative of what they currently have cost controlled and performing at the MLB level. Meanwhile, adding Quintana takes all the bite out of Arrietta's demands that will most likely be in the $25 million per year range.

Lol yes, I'm sure the idea has never occurred to Epstein./green

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)

How excited do you think he is to give up guys like Happ, Jimenez, etc?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
I absolutely want a top end hitting prospects in a deal. Not top 150, as good as possible of a hitter. I get that the top 10 is pretty much off limits in this trade market, but that is what I am shooting for, and building a deal from there. I am not super big on rankings, but I want the best hitter at a premium position I can get.

I think this is why we haven't seen a Quintana trade yet. No one is parting with their top hitting prospects.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Lol yes, I'm sure the idea has never occurred to Epstein./green

I can see the hesitation on Jimenez, but Happ is completely blocked and won't have a position on that team. Heck, even Baez is basically a utility player for them. Even Jimenez doesn't make much sense unless he sticks in center, Schwarber can't play anything but LF and Heyward isn't going to rake in $20+ million a year to sit.

QUOTE (Username @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
I can see the hesitation on Jimenez, but Happ is completely blocked and won't have a position on that team. Heck, even Baez is basically a utility player for them. Even Jimenez doesn't make much sense unless he sticks in center, Schwarber can't play anything but LF and Heyward isn't going to rake in $20+ million a year to sit.

I think he gets moved in the off-season personally. I also don't think they're urgent due to just winning the world series, something they haven't done in 108 years. who knows, maybe they become interested in Q in July.

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
They already project better than Cleveland, even with no bounceback from Keuchel and average seasons from McHugh. Until one of those guys flops, or McCullers gets hurt, they don't really need Q.

Yeah, but how are they holding their own against the Red Sox?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
I like this deal more than most of the Astros deals thrown around here, but man, WE NEED BATS!

I'll be honest, outside of Meadows (which is not happening obviously), the Pirates are an awful match for Q, IMO. Glasnow screams reliever, and Newman seems like a lower ceiling Tim Anderson to me. Just don't see a realistic fit with them that makes sense with what we want.

Obviously, you take the most talent you can get and let it work itself out, but I'd be shocked if that was coming from the Pirates.

If I were Huntington I'd send Meadows for Q. It's not just about 7 years of Meadows, it's about competing in the small window you have with McCutchen and Cole. You can always unload Cole, McCutchen and even Q at the 2018 deadline if you are out of it.

The Astros have loads of talent. I'd trade with them even if I couldn't get both Martes and Tucker. Give me Perez, Whitley, Laureano, Hernandez, M. Sierra

I think someone nailed the Pirates problem above - they are in the same division as the Cubs, and would be doing this for a 1 game playoff. And Meadows is a must...their big pitching prospect is already showing holes.

The Astros could use him, but they are strong without him and also this would take the last of their prime prospects that are anywhere near ready. They Astros have an interesting bullpen (headlined by KW's own Devinski who can through multiple innings, which is the vogue these days).

They Braves could use him; I think they plan on competing in 2018, so the timing is good. Their prospects are a little further behind, but that's okay.

The Yankees could use him; there is no reason to cede that division to the RedSox. They have the surplus prospects

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)
If I were Huntington I'd send Meadows for Q. It's not just about 7 years of Meadows, it's about competing in the small window you have with McCutchen and Cole. You can always unload Cole, McCutchen and even Q at the 2018 deadline if you are out of it.

The Astros have loads of talent. I'd trade with them even if I couldn't get both Martes and Tucker. Give me Perez, Whitley, Laureano, Hernandez, M. Sierra

This. Although, it would have to be Meadows ++ for Q. Look @ the Gazette's story, & @ Glasnows performance, it looks like he's not a future TOR SP, & may be destined to the pen, if he makes The Show.

For the Pirates, when will they be able to acquire an affordable TOR SP in his prime? And when will they have another window like this one to compete? The scrubs may be in their division, but they may very well have a post-WS hangover, as is common for many champs. Meanwhile, st louis, Milwaukee, & cincy all look flawed to various degrees.

If it doesn't work, they can always resell Q, & Cutch, & rebuild. If Q were traded to Pittsburgh, & he underperforms or gets hurt, there are outs in the contract just 2 years from now.

Clinging to Meadows, & praying that their starting staff is enough to get them to the postseason is fool's gold, IMO.