Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-bas...prise-quintana/

"Could the Dodgers be a surprise entry in the Jose Quintana sweepstakes? They certainly have the prospects to get a deal done, and there’s a belief ChiSox people are eyeing them. While the Astros, Pirates and Yankees have been suggested to be the most likely landing spots, the White Sox were frustrated by Houston’s offers and the Pirates don’t look like a contender to this point. Quintana’s salary would fit the Dodgers’ aim to keep a semi-reasonable payroll. Though they already have more potential major-league starters than anyone (and five left-handers if Scott Kazmir returns to join Clayton Kershaw, Alex Wood, Rich Hill and Hyun-Jin Ryu) but they seem to strictly adhere to the bromide: you can never have too much pitching."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
This is going to be one of those things where I had no idea who Florial was 2 days ago and now I'm going to be demanding he included in any deal!

This is basically like every deal for me, with the exception that it's 20 minutes, not 2 days...

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-bas...prise-quintana/

"Could the Dodgers be a surprise entry in the Jose Quintana sweepstakes? They certainly have the prospects to get a deal done, and there’s a belief ChiSox people are eyeing them. While the Astros, Pirates and Yankees have been suggested to be the most likely landing spots, the White Sox were frustrated by Houston’s offers and the Pirates don’t look like a contender to this point. Quintana’s salary would fit the Dodgers’ aim to keep a semi-reasonable payroll. Though they already have more potential major-league starters than anyone (and five left-handers if Scott Kazmir returns to join Clayton Kershaw, Alex Wood, Rich Hill and Hyun-Jin Ryu) but they seem to strictly adhere to the bromide: you can never have too much pitching."

Chicago White Sox

White Sox people are acting like they assume Jose Quintana will be traded this time. And they don’t believe his less-than-great start will adversely affect his trade value.

There’s no evidence Todd Frazier has drawn no serious interest to date. But he’s been heating up, and he could probably help at least Boston.

The White Sox aren’t anxious to trade Jose Abreu, even if he has a market. He’s playing well, he’s a leader and they expect to have a Cuban-heavy lineup at some point, with Yoan Moncada and Luis Robert two of their top three prospects.

Avisail Garcia hired Gene Mato as his agent in April. Garcia really turned things around this winter, with big workouts and renewed dedication over the winter.

Lucas Giolito is showing better stuff lately (and he threw a no-hitter), but Reynaldo Lopez is the pitcher the ChiSox most coveted in that Adam Eaton deal.

Wake Forest 1B Gavin Sheets, son of Larry, was the ChiSox’s second round pick.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
I could see them buying a rental without having to give up their top prospects.

I could see the Yanks looking for a non-rental type player. They have 3 in their rotation that could leave via free agency next offseason. CC and Pineda are free agents, and Tanaka has an out, but the way he is pitching, he may not want to utilize it, but still. They may have the need for some arms longer term.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
I see that we are back to Q to the Yankees chatter. I remember back when these talks were going on in the Winter and people were saying how Aaron Judge wouldn't cut it as a headliner in any deal for Q. Oh my how things have changed...

I don't see Cashman trading away his prospects. The Yanks are ahead of schedule. They will just buy pitching in the offseason.

They want to come in below the luxury tax threshold next year, so buying quality starting pitching at market rates is going to be a challenge for them. Meanwhile, Quintana only comes with like a $5.2M charge next year for luxury tax purposes. There are a lot of reasons why they'd be willing to trade in their prospect currency for a starter like Q, who fits both short-term & long-term needs.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
They want to come in below the luxury tax threshold next year, so buying quality starting pitching at market rates is going to be a challenge for them. Meanwhile, Quintana only comes with like a $5.2M charge next year for luxury tax purposes. There are a lot of reasons why they'd be willing to trade in their prospect currency for a starter like Q, who fits both short-term & long-term needs.

Apparently, according to Sherman's article, they are expecting to even be facing a 40-man crunch soon...so there is more reason for them to "cash-in," as you say.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)

Yeah and they need to remain flexible for the monster 2018-19 free agent class.

God forbid even if Q doesn't rebound and he's more in line with his peripherals (4.3ish FIP), he's still an extremely cheap #3/4. He's still almost top 30 in WAR for starters. Plenty of value for a team looking for payroll flexibility.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
Apparently, according to Sherman's article, they are expecting to even be facing a 40-man crunch soon...so there is more reason for them to "cash-in," as you say.

Which could mean there could be deals to be had on those sorts of players. Maybe the Yankees look to do quantity over quality, or at least fewer top prospects, but maybe more B/C level guys in order to either free up the roster spots, or to move them before they hit the Rule 5 draft.

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Yeah and they need to remain flexible for the monster 2018-19 free agent class.

God forbid even if Q doesn't rebound and he's more in line with his peripherals (4.3ish FIP), he's still an extremely cheap #3/4. He's still almost top 30 in WAR for starters. Plenty of value for a team looking for payroll flexibility.

Exactly. If I were Cashman, I'd much rather spend big on the 2018-19 free agent, in particular the positional guys, rather than spend big on the starters who will be available this coming offseason. If that requires trading some prospects away for a cost-controlled TOR starter then so be it. The new luxury tax is a legit hinderence to the traditional big spenders. They now have to be much more strategic on how they spend their money.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Exactly. If I were Cashman, I'd much rather spend big on the 2018-19 free agent, in particular the positional guys, rather than spend big on the starters who will be available this coming offseason. If that requires trading some prospects away for a cost-controlled TOR starter then so be it. The new luxury tax is a legit hinderence to the traditional big spenders. They now have to be much more strategic on how they spend their money.

Not too difficult, since this is the last year Yanks have to pay ARod and Sabathia.

I think the Sox are wise to pull in the Dodgers, get Verdugo along with Lux and Keibert Ruiz plus a lottery ticket arm and you are in business.

I am not much of a fan of Frazier, not sure he is going to make enough contact to really warrant being a centerpiece of a deal. He seems to be a right handed Matt Joyce, which while nice, isn't extremely valuable. Mateo's 30% K rate in A ball makes him a non factor in a deal. Kaprelian's TJS takes him out of the equation. I am sure the Sox would take Torres despite the TJS, but without him the Yanks really have to bring a lot of depth because the top of their system is not nearly as strong as some make it out to be.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
I think the Sox are wise to pull in the Dodgers, get Verdugo along with Lux and Keibert Ruiz plus a lottery ticket arm and you are in business.

I am not much of a fan of Frazier, not sure he is going to make enough contact to really warrant being a centerpiece of a deal. He seems to be a right handed Matt Joyce, which while nice, isn't extremely valuable. Mateo's 30% K rate in A ball makes him a non factor in a deal. Kaprelian's TJS takes him out of the equation. I am sure the Sox would take Torres despite the TJS, but without him the Yanks really have to bring a lot of depth because the top of their system is not nearly as strong as some make it out to be.

I don't know if a team can really "pull in" another team. The Dodgers obviously know Q is available. The other team needs to want the player as well.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Gleyber needs TJS....yikes

What is even weirder is that it is his non throwing arm but better for the Yankees.

I have to believe that the Yankees and White Sox make a deal. Quintana and Frazier make so much sense for them unless they feel like they will lose out to the Red Sox not matter what. They certainly do not have the pitching to maintain their record the rest of the way.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)

That's not nearly enough for Q. Reports are that Lux looks horrible.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
He injured his elbow on a slide, not throwing.

I don't think this affects Q's market, but it might affect Toad's. Yankees might try Andujar or Wade instead of going outside, though.

Yeah Todd makes a lot of sense because he can be a 1B option for them too, which has been a black hole. Only problem is he really hasn't outplayed Headley much.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
Q and Frazier for Adams, Andujar, and Fowler. We get another player if they want us to take Headleys contract for tax purposes.

This would be an awful trade for Q alone. May as well hold onto Q if that is all you're getting. Adding Todd Frazier to it would just make it worse.

Adams has a WHIP of 1 , ERA 1.78, k>1 per inning. Fowler also at AAA, 20%k rate, OPS .863 (better than Frazier) and 11sb with improved D. Andujar about 16% k rate . BA .312 OPS .836 at AA. All three 22 years old and by being closer to the majors less risky to me. I wanted one more player but these three are all highly thought of and performing. I would certainly not turn down another prospect but Frazier to me is mainly a salary dump. Doubt you get more than a couple C type prospects without paying his way.