3/13 vs Indians

flavum

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
This is a gross oversimplification. What if he tears it up in the 1st half next year? The Sox would certainly move him for the right package.

If that is a something you are thinking about, you are WAY overrating Tyler Saladino. He isn't Adam Eaton, and never will be. At the top end, we are talking about a starter that you would probably look to replace on a regular basis, at the very best, maybe an OK starter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 12:07 AM)
This thread is a perfect example of why the mods have to be concerned about the tone of this board this season. It seems to me every thread is going to turn into a "good, now we can move this guy" if a player does well; a player such as Saladino. There will be very annoying game threads with the posters wanting us to lose every game. Far be it from me to tell u how to run a message board. I know people get sick of me repeating themes such as Hillary sucks, Bernie baby, I want to win every game, the draftniks are ridiculous, etc. But Saladino is a very very very good hitter and I think a big leaguer. So if he makes the team and does well every thread is gonna be, "GOOD NOW WE CAN MOVE HIM."

I implore the rebuildniks to calm down and re-assess their posts. Is this board really going to be calling for Frazier to be traded every time he hits a home run rather than celebrating the home run and possible victory? Me says YES.

Don't like it.

Yes Greg. The best thing for this franchise moving forward is to lose a s***load of baseball games this year. Rick Hahn wants to lose 100 games. So does Kenny Williams. It's the whole point of doing this.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

This thread is a perfect example of why the mods have to be concerned about the tone of this board this season. It seems to me every thread is going to turn into a "good, now we can move this guy" if a player does well; a player such as Saladino. There will be very annoying game threads with the posters wanting us to lose every game. Far be it from me to tell u how to run a message board. I know people get sick of me repeating themes such as Hillary sucks, Bernie baby, I want to win every game, the draftniks are ridiculous, etc. But Saladino is a very very very good hitter and I think a big leaguer. So if he makes the team and does well every thread is gonna be, "GOOD NOW WE CAN MOVE HIM."

I implore the rebuildniks to calm down and re-assess their posts. Is this board really going to be calling for Frazier to be traded every time he hits a home run rather than celebrating the home run and possible victory? Me says YES.

Don't like it.

I am concerned about you.

Don't like it.

At minimum that's two too many "very".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)
If that is a something you are thinking about, you are WAY overrating Tyler Saladino. He isn't Adam Eaton, and never will be. At the top end, we are talking about a starter that you would probably look to replace on a regular basis, at the very best, maybe an OK starter.

Okay...that still doesn't mean that he doesn't have value. He'd be a great utility guy on any contender and that has value in of itself. How much trade value he would have I really don't know but it's not like he's a negative WAR player.

I also don't know where the comparison to Eaton came from because I never compared them and they're not even close to being the same player.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Okay...that still doesn't mean that he doesn't have value. He'd be a great utility guy on any contender and that has value in of itself. How much trade value he would have I really don't know but it's not like he's a negative WAR player.

I also don't know where the comparison to Eaton came from because I never compared them and they're not even close to being the same player.

Exactly what would you trade for Tyler Saladino?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Exactly what would you trade for Tyler Saladino?

This is my thought as well. Saladino needs to play long enough to prove he's worth much of anything and then age is suddenly a bigger and bigger factor.

Edited by Sox-35th

Saladino has proven that he can hit and play excellent defense. He is worth more to the White Sox than his trade value.

Sox will be better than last season. Tanking will not happen.

I look forward to the Opener.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
Saladino has proven that he can hit and play excellent defense. He is worth more to the White Sox than his trade value.

Sox will be better than last season. Tanking will not happen.

I look forward to the Opener.

This I do believe. The rest after that is just silly.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Yes Greg. The best thing for this franchise moving forward is to lose a s***load of baseball games this year. Rick Hahn wants to lose 100 games. So does Kenny Williams. It's the whole point of doing this.

The way to rebuild is to spend, spend, spend. Three to five years of being terrible will turn the Sox franchise into irrelevance in Chicago possibly forever. Sell the team, Jerry.

I'm not sure why Saladino is so slept on around here. Dude was an above-average bat the final two months of the season when he got more consistent playing time. Even with some regression offensively, he can still provide plenty of value with his plus defense at 2B or 3B & smart base-running. Ultimately I think he can be a 2 to 3 WAR player with regular playing time, which would be attractive to many teams. To me, the biggest concern with him is health. He's had his share of problems staying on the field.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
At this very moment in time? Maybe a Spencer Adams type. But that can all change if he lights it up next year.

If Saladino were on another team, you would deal Spencer Adams for him? A guy who has been good in a backup role but hasn't proven anything as an everyday player (not his fault; he is good with the glove however). It'll be awesome to see him get steady time this upcoming season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm not sure why Saladino is so slept on around here. Dude was an above-average bat the final two months of the season when he got more consistent playing time. Even with some regression offensively, he can still provide plenty of value with his plus defense at 2B or 3B & smart base-running. Ultimately I think he can be a 2 to 3 WAR player with regular playing time, which would be attractive to many teams. To me, the biggest concern with him is health. He's had his share of problems staying on the field.

I am not saying Saladino is bad or anything, but I also think he is the tallest midget on a team devoid of hope at the major league level. I think he will make a career out of being a fringe starter and utility player. While that has value, we aren't talking about anything with REAL value.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I am not saying Saladino is bad or anything, but I also think he is the tallest midget on a team devoid of hope at the major league level. I think he will make a career out of being a fringe starter and utility player. While that has value, we aren't talking about anything with REAL value.

I think he could actually be a good starter. Especially if he were a starting SS or 2B on a deep offensive team. But yeah, as of now, I would say he's not worth much in a trade.

To expand and throw a couple of names out there, how about Jeff Keppinger or Tony Graffanino.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
If Saladino were on another team, you would deal Spencer Adams for him? A guy who has been good in a backup role but hasn't proven anything as an everyday player (not his fault; he is good with the glove however). It'll be awesome to see him get steady time this upcoming season.

There's so many variables to this question, but if I was a contending team in need of a utility infielder? You better believe I'd trade an Adams type for a guy that could be a 2-3 WAR player this year.

I think he will make a career out of being a fringe starter and utility player. While that has value, we aren't talking about anything with REAL value.

Completely agree. Hell, that's his ceiling. Nothing wrong with that though.