Keith Law Mock Draft 2.0

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7116

He has the White Sox taking Jeren Kendall and has this to say: White Sox GM Rick Hahn met with Kendall last week. This would be a nervy pick, like taking Alec Hansen in the second round last year (he was a likely top-of-draft guy who fell due to performance, not injury), but with the higher risk of taking Kendall at 11 when there are lots of good college bats such as Logan Warmoth still on the board.

His top 10 looks like this:

1. Twins-Kyle Wright RHP Vandy

2. Reds- Hunter Greene RHP HS CA

3. Padres- MacKenzie Gore LHP HS NC

4. Rays- Brendan McKay LHP Louisville

5. Braves- Royce Lewis CF HS CA

6. Athletics- Pavin Smith 1B Virginia

7. Diamondbacks-Adam Haseley OF Virginia

8. Phillies- Austin Beck OF NC

9. Brewers- Jordon Adell OF HS KY

10. Angels- Griffin Canning RHP UCLA

11. White Sox- Jeren Kendall OF Vanderbilt

12. Pirates-JB Bukauskus RHP UNC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very surprised if the top4 are all pitchers. The class is very weak on hitters but I think at least one team does prefer the lesser risk of taking a bat even if it means slightly less upside. Also we will likely see that typical late rising of college players and dropping of HS players.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
I would be very surprised if the top4 are all pitchers. The class is very weak on hitters but I think at least one team does prefer the lesser risk of taking a bat even if it means slightly less upside. Also we will likely see that typical late rising of college players and dropping of HS players.

I wouldn't, that top four looks like the most set part of the top ten.

Thinking back to last year, Rutherford and Kyle Lewis seemed routinely ahead of us as those that fell.

Interesting to think who they are over pumping now.

Haseley has been at 5 or 7 seems like in every recent mock. Could be overcompensating based on the recent push of college bats.

But they seemed to fall by teams that chose bigger program bats like Corey Ray where sox thought they could have a chance. Seems like the recent mocks are seeing sox miss on targets because the college pitchers are falling out of top ten. We'll see, doesn't seem like sox were served well by Houck and Faedo fading (if goal was to get bat)

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
This would be a nervy pick, like taking Alec Hansen in the second round last year (he was a likely top-of-draft guy who fell due to performance, not injury), but with the higher risk of taking Kendall at 11 when there are lots of good college bats such as Logan Warmoth still on the board.

Except this is taking him with pick 11 instead of 49. Not a ton of premium in there to be squeezed, versus the risk.

I would talk myself into it. Problem is every higher k comp for Kendall I look up their college stats and see they usually walk and k equally in college.

If this was OOTP though I'd probably draft him.

What a red flag, but seems like the biggest potential outside of Greene in this draft

QUOTE (beautox @ May 30, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
Still hoping Haseley falls to us at 11, I have a hard time seeing the d-backs pass up on Bukauskus. I'm ok with drafting Kendall at 11 warts and all.

If you would have told me the Sox had a chance to draft Kendall in March, I would have been thrilled. Especially if you told me that his production this season was on par with the production that had him slated as a top 2 pick before the season and that he was healthy. I would have been confused by how this happened, but thrilled. Kendall has perhaps a higher ceiling than any other player in the draft, except Greene. Kendall doesn't need to hit .300 to be a game changer. He can hit .260 and have a huge impact because of what he can do on defense and on the basepaths (not to mention his power potential). Draft a player with elite tools that plays a premium defensive position? I wouldn't have to fight to convince myself about it that much. Sure he could flame out and be Jared Mitchell 2.0, he could also make it to the majors on the strength of his physical skills and be an impact MLB player. Or he could make adjustments, put it all together and be a guy that threatens 30/30 seasons.

Drafting Kendall may be the Sox best chance to add another star level ceiling player. Maybe with guys like Moncada and Robert in the system, they won't be compelled to draft on ceiling going for a guy with a steadier hitting ability like Hiura, or a more positional need (along with power upside) like Burger. Or go another route entirely and go pitcher or prep hitter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 30, 2017 -> 06:19 PM)
Kendall to me is left handed for Jared Mitchell. Star potential, and can do everything except make a lot of contact. I don't know how that gets better facing better pitchers. I wouldnttake him at 11.

Isn't challenging yourself and facing tougher competition really the only way to improve? Along with a more singular focus, better coaching and more reps?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Well this is where you either trust your new draft director or youi don't.

I trust him to do what he did last year. If he's looking for hitters like Collins/Call/Fisher, Hiura will be the pick.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 30, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
I trust him to do what he did last year. If he's looking for hitters like Collins/Call/Fisher, Hiura will be the pick.

The lack of a clear defensive position really limits his value, as he is pretty much a pure offensive player. Huira could be an underslot signing at #11 for the White Sox, but they might be passing on ultimately better talent.

He seems to be a DH/LF in the future, with the upside of a Melky Cabrera?

What about looking into Jake Burger, who scouts seem to think will be able to stick at 3B defensively and he brings considerable power potential?

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 30, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)
Isn't challenging yourself and facing tougher competition really the only way to improve? Along with a more singular focus, better coaching and more reps?

Except he hasn't been able to succeed at his current level, if he had improved in college, the step up in competition could push him to be better. Since he hasn't gotten any better at making contact, its more likely he just gets left further behind.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 31, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Except he hasn't been able to succeed at his current level, if he had improved in college, the step up in competition could push him to be better. Since he hasn't gotten any better at making contact, its more likely he just gets left further behind.

In what world is .306/.380/.570 for an OPS of .950 not succeeding?

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 31, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)

Look at other top picks. Their college numbers are cartoon-like. Also, the 25% k-rate somewhat says "not succeeding".

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 31, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)

In a world where an OF putting up .404/.505/.843 with an OPS of 1.348 and a 22% K rate in the same conference is considered a comp round pick.