Cafardo: Cardinals interested in Avi

striker

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 04:56 AM)
Anyone else notice that they are busting Avi in on his hands even more now than before ? He still swings at way too many balls and the ones inside he can't barrel up. The adjustments by pitchers are in full swing now.Avi needs to lay off and take some walks.

Good post. Avi is definitely looking like the old Avi. He's been crap since that awful inning in right field where he had 2 errors.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
Looking at your signature, I am scratching my head as to why you guys couldn't come up with the simple "Draft Beer."

:)

I made up Cheer for Beer because that's what were on my college's (and probably many others) shirts because we were a bad football team, usually. I'm pretty sure I still have my Cheer for Beer shirt, and the idea was the same....we suck, so we just root for more drinking!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
Looking at your signature, I am scratching my head as to why you guys couldn't come up with the simple "Draft Beer."

:)

I made up Cheer for Beer because that's what were on my college's (and probably many others) shirts because we were a bad football team, usually. I'm pretty sure I still have my Cheer for Beer shirt, and the idea was the same....we suck, so we just root for more drinking!

I really hope Hahn is seriously considering offers for Avi. If there is even one GM out there in need of OF help that views Avi as a near All-Star talent, then I hope Hahn finds a way to cash in now. For whatever reason, this recent slump has me spooked that the floor is about to fall out from under him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
I really hope Hahn is seriously considering offers for Avi. If there is even one GM out there in need of OF help that views Avi as a near All-Star talent, then I hope Hahn finds a way to cash in now. For whatever reason, this recent slump has me spooked that the floor is about to fall out from under him.

I'm highly doubtful that kind of value exists for him, unless his mother were to own a team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
I'm highly doubtful that kind of value exists for him, unless his mother were to own a team.

Oh I totally agree, but all it takes is one GM who was enamored with his tools back when he was with the Tigers and believes those are finally materializing into a quality baseball player. Unlikely I know and obviously you would never get the return a 25 year old All-Stsr should net, but I'd probably take $0.75 on the dollar at this point and call it a win.

Beyond the regression concerns I have (whether valid or not), I just don't see how he fits in long-term. Is he really a guy you want to lock up to a five/six year deal at this point? Committing big dollars to Avi without a larger sample seems like a risky game to play. If we had three or four more years of control I'd be more willing to see this through, but within the next 12 months we really have to decide we want to extend or trade him. And the more I think about it, the more I lean towards the sell side.

I had a long reply typed out, to which I just accidentally erased because the Microsoft Surface Pro is a piece of s***.

I think we need to just let this play out.

If we lose value because he continues to rake and we didn't sign him early enough to defray some of that value by taking on risk, than so be it. We'll likely have to move him.

Given the contracts to TA and Robert, I'd like them to avoid taking a big risk on him at this point and having it blow up in our faces.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
I had a long reply typed out, to which I just accidentally erased because the Microsoft Surface Pro is a piece of s***.

If we lose value because he continues to rake and we didn't sign him early enough to defray some of that value by taking on risk, than so be it. We'll likely have to move him.

Given the contracts to TA and Robert, I'd like them to avoid taking a big risk on him at this point and having it blow up in our faces.

Control Z

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)

You could have gotten it right back by pressing the control key and the Z key together.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
But who would have envisioned this current 2 for 31? Wouldn't the law of averages suggest a .340 hitter do much better than the current 2 for 31 even if BABIP had to come back to earth? If Avi goes 2 for 31 in his next 31, he'll be back to being a horses*** hitter by old, conventional stats, BA and RBI.

You'd be well served to actually read the posts you quote because you clearly don't, seriously, just give up and move on. Either you're getting your jollies or you're impossibly ignorant. This site has so many good posters who present actual facts to support their arguments and it makes for good discussion then you jump in with a high level, obtuse, oh gosh garbage post, congrats that's around 5000 in a row, you're very gifted at not understanding things. Please just stop. Referencing the fact that people hate your insanely ignorant opinions in 1/3 of your posts doesn't earn you brownie points, you just suck. Please, actually do a modicum of research on ANYTHING or just leave. It's not fun, you're just a nuisance. Literally no one enjoys this s***. If you actually gave a s*** about learning baseball you could have here, instead you just tucked your head up your ass and trolled.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
You'd be well served to actually read the posts you quote because you clearly don't, seriously, just give up and move on. Either you're getting your jollies or you're impossibly ignorant. This site has so many good posters who present actual facts to support their arguments and it makes for good discussion then you jump in with a high level, obtuse, oh gosh garbage post, congrats that's around 5000 in a row, you're very gifted at not understanding things. Please just stop. Referencing the fact that people hate your insanely ignorant opinions in 1/3 of your posts doesn't earn your brownie points, you just suck. Please, actually do a modicum of research on ANYTHING or just leave. It's not fun, you're just a nuisance. Literally no one enjoys this s***. If you actually gave a s*** about learning baseball you could have here, instead you just tucked your head up your ass and trolled.

:cheers :notworthy :headbang

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:12 AM)
You'd be well served to actually read the posts you quote because you clearly don't, seriously, just give up and move on. Either you're getting your jollies or you're impossibly ignorant. This site has so many good posters who present actual facts to support their arguments and it makes for good discussion then you jump in with a high level, obtuse, oh gosh garbage post, congrats that's around 5000 in a row, you're very gifted at not understanding things. Please just stop. Referencing the fact that people hate your insanely ignorant opinions in 1/3 of your posts doesn't earn you brownie points, you just suck. Please, actually do a modicum of research on ANYTHING or just leave. It's not fun, you're just a nuisance. Literally no one enjoys this s***. If you actually gave a s*** about learning baseball you could have here, instead you just tucked your head up your ass and trolled.

Weird post to respond to with a freakout. He is 2 for 31 and you'd think the law of averages would prevent such a slide at this point in the season from a .345 hitter, BABIP be damned. I am an Avi supporter by and large. Weird response from you.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:11 PM)
Weird post to respond to with a freakout. He is 2 for 31 and you'd think the law of averages would prevent such a slide at this point in the season from a .345 hitter, BABIP be damned. I am an Avi supporter by and large. Weird response from you.

I wonder how many people out of a 100 know how an average works?

• 2 weeks later...

Was crunching the numbers today and Avi and JD Martinez have had identical per-game WAR numbers this year (both on pace for 5.2 over a full 162 game season). Hard to believe with how well JD is mashing.

Shows you how insane Avi's defensive progress has been and how important that is to his value. Also makes me wonder if teams like the Diamondbacks/Rockies that are pursuing JD will look heavily at Avi.

Those are young teams and he actually fits the window way better.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
Was crunching the numbers today and Avi and JD Martinez have had identical per-game WAR numbers this year (both on pace for 5.2 over a full 162 game season). Hard to believe with how well JD is mashing.

Shows you how insane Avi's defensive progress has been and how important that is to his value. Also makes me wonder if teams like the Diamondbacks/Rockies that are pursuing JD will look heavily at Avi.

I posted something similar in a different thread, but I would be marketing Avi to all the clubs with interest in JD.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:06 PM)
I posted something similar in a different thread, but I would be marketing Avi to all the clubs with interest in JD.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I'm intrigued to see if his name starts to pop up more. I'm all for keeping him unless you can get a big haul.

The market is flooded with bats, but until guys like Yelich/Ozuna go on the market Avi is a bit of a unique asset since he's controlled. Might also be hard for the market to commit based on a breakout year.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)

Rockies are interested in Martinez. Avi for McMahon?