Cafardo: Cardinals interested in Avi

striker

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I know but I was more focusing on the part of the writeup about his defense. But he's also doing that in the PCL right? Colorado Springs boosts offense by 30% more than Coors does. I'm not sure I buy that he's suddenly transformed into an elite hitter. His line is also being pumped up a lot by that .421 BABIP.

Their AAA team is in Albuquerque now, but I believe it's also a pretty serious offensive ballpark. And agreed on the BABIPs, his numbers scream out flukisk to me.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
Their AAA team is in Albuquerque now, but I believe it's also a pretty serious offensive ballpark. And agreed on the BABIPs, his numbers scream out flukisk to me.

I'll take a .200+ ISO, 10+% BB, 20-22% K hitter, even if his BA is .250 instead of .300. At .250, that player is potentially an .850+ OPS player.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)

I would say this is a safe bet considering Albuquerque is also a mile high (actually higher than Denver, 5,312') and has even thinner air due to the desert.

EDIT: I have always wanted to say "higher than Denver," because there's not many times when you can say that and have it be true.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
I would say this is a safe bet considering Albuquerque is also a mile high (actually higher than Denver, 5,312') and has even thinner air due to the desert.

EDIT: I have always wanted to say "higher than Denver," because there's not many times when you can say that and have it be true.

Does Hartford have some ridiculous park advantage for offense? Because McMahon put up a .326 average, .926 OPS, 19% K rate, and 9.8% BB rate in 205 PAs there before his ridiculous PCL stint. The nearly 400 PAs of excellent production in leagues where he is very young for level, including maintaining that ~20% K rate in AA and AAA as a 22 year old, make me think something may have clicked for him. You can be concerned about the PCL if you'd like, but I'd be excited about a player with his AA numbers, and the PCL isn't going to make his K rate deflated.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
Does Hartford have some ridiculous park advantage for offense? Because McMahon put up a .326 average, .926 OPS, 19% K rate, and 9.8% BB rate in 205 PAs there before his ridiculous PCL stint. The nearly 400 PAs of excellent production in leagues where he is very young for level, including maintaining that ~20% K rate in AA and AAA as a 22 year old, make me think something may have clicked for him. You can be concerned about the PCL if you'd like, but I'd be excited about a player with his AA numbers, and the PCL isn't going to make his K rate deflated.

I don't have an opinion on McMahon. He just speculated that Albuquerque was a good hitter's environment, and I think I probably cemented those beliefs.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
You think the Tigers aren't going to ask the moon for Martinez? They probably asked for Rodgers. If the Sox can sell Avi for a good price now and undercut the Tigers while doing it, they'll be doing the next competitive roster a huge favor.

I guess your question is answered now?

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:37 AM)
Anyone know if there's smoke to Avi being available, or is Nightengale just speculating?

I guess to an extent our OF prospects are pretty loaded now, so would make sense. Though I'll be really sad if Avi is gone as well haha.

If you can get value for him, then why not? Helps the tanking effort and creates room for one of Leury, Engel, Willy, & Delmonico to get everyday playing time. Again, got to get value though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 05:08 AM)
If you can get value for him, then why not? Helps the tanking effort and creates room for one of Leury, Engel, Willy, & Delmonico to get everyday playing time. Again, got to get value though.

I have a hard time believing there is a worthwhile market for him, given what we heard yesterday in re: position players after the JD Martinez trade, but obviously the situations are different.

Would love to know how scouts value Garcia. On one hand Avi is an all star having a good season and on the other is the mediocre numbers before this season. How the hell does one evaluate that? Is it unreasonable to think the Sox could land another top 100 for Avi, maybe in the 80-100 range? I really don't know how to view Avi's value.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)
I have a hard time believing there is a worthwhile market for him, given what we heard yesterday in re: position players after the JD Martinez trade, but obviously the situations are different.

Yeah same. Though the extra control is certainly big. Plus Avi has been roughly the same player on a WAR pace (I know he's not the same hitter), and some team might think he's only going to get better.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)

I mean maybe Garcia can fetch the same/a tad more than JD Martinez? Not sure. He's got age on his side though, even though Martinez will only be 30 in August. Avi just turned 26 a little over a month ago and has 2 1/2 more years of control, whereas JD is a FA at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:31 AM)
I mean maybe Garcia can fetch the same/a tad more than JD Martinez? Not sure. He's got age on his side though, even though Martinez will only be 30 in August. Avi just turned 26 a little over a month ago and has 2 1/2 more years of control, whereas JD is a FA at the end of the year.

There's no chance I move Avi if the return is anything like that Tigers deal. They just didn't get much value.

Might as well hold onto Avi for that and hope there's more of a market later - or see if he can force his way into our long-term plans.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)

Mount Fuji, Mount Everest, K-2, lol....Pacific Squared League.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 05:33 AM)
There's no chance I move Avi if the return is anything like that Tigers deal. They just didn't get much value.

Might as well hold onto Avi for that and hope there's more of a market later - or see if he can force his way into our long-term plans.

This is essentially the same question as they just answered in re: Kahnle, right?

If someone wanted say, Avi and Swarzak, I suspect we'd move him for a guy in the top 30 or so?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
This is essentially the same question as they just answered in re: Kahnle, right?

If someone wanted say, Avi and Swarzak, I suspect we'd move him for a guy in the top 30 or so?

Sounds about right. Only teams I can think of with those needs:

Rockies

Cardinals

Dodgers? Seems like a stretch

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 05:47 AM)

Rockies

Cardinals

Yeah, the Cards you might get Kelly and the Rockies maybe Pint?

I dunno...I think we're getting a bit drunk on prospects.

The thought of moving Avi for a guy that we are hoping can do what Avi is doing right now seems a bit counterproductive to me...

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:47 AM)

Rockies

Cardinals

Truly fascinating one would be either Joc or Puig (marketing) coming back for Avi...but especially that first name.

Or some type of deal to split the cost for Rusney Castillo's remaining contract...say, 75-80% paid by Boston. If Avi were to be dealt and they were sure Delmonico couldn't handle a corner spot.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:56 AM)

The thought of moving Avi for a guy that we are hoping can do what Avi is doing right now seems a bit counterproductive to me...

But holding him through the end of his contract does what exactly?

They will offer him salary arb while he agrees to go elsewhere for 4-5 year deal?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 06:04 AM)
But holding him through the end of his contract does what exactly?

They will offer him salary arb while he agrees to go elsewhere for 4-5 year deal?

Well, in Avi's case, much like in Kahnle's case, his past is his enemy.

The longer he manages to do this, the more his value increases.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)

Let's face it - that's what most of these trades are about. Trying to build with a different set of players.

What are the chances Moncada is a better player than Sale? Not high.

Okay throw in Kopech and the two together could be....but then they could both bust, or one could bust.

They just have to build a contending team with these prospects, which is why I think it will a lot more movement over the next 2 years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)

Well the idea would be getting someone who could be productive at the same time when our other top guys are potentially being productive. Avi Garcia doing good for 2 years when most of the other hitters aren't ready doesn't do anything for the MLB team.