Melky Cabrera Traded To Royals

Sleepy Harold

This is a great trade. I was expecting practically nothing even if we ate the majority of his contract, so to get a high floor starting pitching prospect plus a wild card lefty is a huge get. Hard to be dissapointed with this return.

Honestly, right now the Robertson/Kahnle/Frazier trade is my least favorite deadline deal for us. I think Hahn did better with his lesser trade chips, which is a bit surprising.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With his change up rated a 60 and his control rated 55, I think he'll be right there with Guerrero and Clarkin, in the low, to mid 20's.

I personally love a young pitcher with his qualities of pitch-ability and control, especially with a plus change up. It's still the second best pitch in baseball, right behind a well located fastball.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
Live arms. Nice return.

Seems like a solid trade and return for a rental in melky. Continuing to stock the farm gives us greater depth moving forward. We should be able to cobble together a solid pitching staff from all of our young arms. I like adding higher floor arms to go with some of our higher risk prospects.

Edited by steveno89

Knew the reports (and from a bunch of people on here) were BS that Melky was almost worthless we'd have to pay his whole contract. Only paid 1/2 and got a recent 2nd round pick that has had pretty good success so far as a pro. Say what you want about Melky and all the advanced stats, but there just aren't a plethora of guys available who will give their team quality professional AB's pretty much every time. Good trade for both teams, Melky will really help the Royals and I like our return just fine.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
Out of the two I think I might like this Davis kid a bit more. Big lefty with a decent fastball who's throws strikes. Looks like he's had some bad luck this year but I hope they give him a chance to start.

Looking at him I see closer. Let him focus on fastball/slider and ramping it up with that big fastball 1 inning at a time

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Out of the two I think I might like this Davis kid a bit more. Big lefty with a decent fastball who's throws strikes. Looks like he's had some bad luck this year but I hope they give him a chance to start.

Davis is the definition of a fringe prospect. Puckett is the real asset here.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
Davis is the definition of a fringe prospect. Puckett is the real asset here.

I actually remember Puckett making a start against the Dash earlier in the year, he pitched well but was pretty unimpressive stuff wise (i think he topped out around 90). Davis is a bit old and hasn't had any real success but a 6-6 lefty with a mid 90s fastball at least has some intrigue.

Edited by mac9001

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I actually remember Puckett making a start against the Dash earlier in the year, he pitched well but was pretty unimpressive stuff wise (i think he topped out around 90). Davis is a but old and hasn't had any real success but a 6-6 lefty with a mid 90s fastball at least has some intrigue.

This is honestly more than I expected in return for melky. We should only be pleased.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Adios Melky. You were a great team player, a very good hitter and a decent fielder.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
I'm going to miss Melky. Hope he kicks ass in KC.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Going to really miss melky

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Out of everyone that was traded, I will miss Melky the most. Idc what people say, he was a leader and the best personality, and he hit like crazy. Royals will definitely get a boost from him.

I like Melky and wish him all the best in KC. I hope the Royals win the World Series this season and Melky provides some clutch heroics.