2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
But a hand-off is a different situation from a forward pass. I didn't think he ever really had complete control until the ball hit the ground and shifted on him. For a running back, you'd talking about a situation where he for-sure has control of a live ball.

I very much disagree, he had control with both hands the whole way down and then it moved when it hit the ground. He had made a football move to go into the endzone after having control.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
I very much disagree, he had control with both hands the whole way down and then it moved when it hit the ground. He had made a football move to go into the endzone after having control.

It's different by definition. If a ball bounces off the hands during a handoff, it's a fumble because he was considered to have possession. If the same thing happens during a pass, it's considered incomplete because because of no possession.

This is why is it not a touchdown, he did not have possession.

That being said, it's a bad rule and should be changed. But as the rule currently reads, it's correct.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)

Totally agree. My first thought was what a catch. My second thought was, if anything, it was a fumble caused by the ground that he recovered in the end zone. He clearly caught the ball, controlled the ball, made a "football move" with the ball, got a knee down and then "fumbled," which I think is a pretty weak fumble to begin with.

The NFL is just terrible. The sport makes no sense anymore. Not only do you have these stupid catch situations, I despise the fumbling forward into the endzone calls that the Bears had earlier this year and Carr had last night for Oakland. When all the rules are skewed towards the offense anyway, why are we penalizing offensive players from making scoring plays? And why should the defense benefit? Everywhere else on the field if you fumble out of bounds you spot the ball where it was fumbled. Why on earth should the endzone, the opposing team's endzone!!!, be any different?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Totally agree. My first thought was what a catch. My second thought was, if anything, it was a fumble caused by the ground that he recovered in the end zone. He clearly caught the ball, controlled the ball, made a "football move" with the ball, got a knee down and then "fumbled," which I think is a pretty weak fumble to begin with.

The NFL is just terrible. The sport makes no sense anymore. Not only do you have these stupid catch situations, I despise the fumbling forward into the endzone calls that the Bears had earlier this year and Carr had last night for Oakland. When all the rules are skewed towards the offense anyway, why are we penalizing offensive players from making scoring plays? And why should the defense benefit? Everywhere else on the field if you fumble out of bounds you spot the ball where it was fumbled. Why on earth should the endzone, the opposing team's endzone!!!, be any different?

If you make a catch, turn and make a football move, and cross the goal line, the play should end when the ball crosses the goal line. We've seen this enough. I might even be disagreeing with myself from a couple years ago.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Replay should be limited to 45 seconds (similar to the play clock) and if you cant overturn it in that time the play stands.

I would agree with this, with the only exception being that, after you have made the call, you can go back to verify spot of the ball and time on the clock.

I don't understand the Fangio love. I know many feel bears overperformed, but I really liked that defense this year. They are, at best, exactly where they should be. They haven't overperformed with Fangio once.

There was actually quite a bit of talent on our defense, especially up front. And they are fine.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Packers' defense is horrible and a lot of GB fans seem to be fed up with Capers.

Packers a whole 2 spots behind Chicago in DVOA rankings. Bears 14th Packers 16th.

And just a reminder that the bears have a head coach that tries to play a very slow pace to reduce the number of overall possessions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Packers a whole 2 spots behind Chicago in DVOA rankings. Bears 14th Packers 16th.

And just a reminder that the bears have a head coach that tries to play a very slow pace to reduce the number of overall possessions.

I don't know what DVOA is but these states don't seem great

DVOA is, imo, the best team metrics. edit: I'm not advocating Capers is great, but the Fangio love has been misplaced.

Fangio is really good at red zone scoring defense. But a lot of drives end up in the red zone, our drive success rate is like 19th or 20th. It obviously does what Fox loves, which is let the opponents do long ass drives that end up in a field goal so despite being dominated we have a chance to win at the end, but this has been an average defense and I don't buy the talent being low on our defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
If you make a catch, turn and make a football move, and cross the goal line, the play should end when the ball crosses the goal line. We've seen this enough. I might even be disagreeing with myself from a couple years ago.

But this isn't what happened. As he makes the catch he is diving for the ball. He never plants his feet and makes the "football move" it's all one continuous motion. Thus to make a catch he needs to not have the ball move when he hits the ground, other wise it's incomplete.

the call was correct by the current rule. I think it's a bad rule and needs to change.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=3585397:date=Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:14 AM:name=bmags)-->
QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
<!--quotec-->Packers a whole 2 spots behind Chicago in DVOA rankings. Bears 14th Packers 16th.

I don't know what DVOA is but these states don't seem great

This.

the Packers don't have the most talent on defense in the league, but they have some, more than the Bears and the Bears out preformed them by miles this year.

Packers have a middle of the league defense not 32nd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Mike JureckiVerified account @mikejurecki Jeff Fisher wants to get back into the NFL next year, could be eyeing three jobs if they open: Cleveland, Indy and Chicago. Fisher buyout from the Rams was $16M.

Why would anyone hire that bum?