Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
I tried for a whole summer in my teen years to do it. Could never get the fluid mechanics down as I did from my natural side. I was terrible.

It's got to be a brain thing more than anything. Left/Right dominance starts there. I just don't think most people have proper (natural) development in that area of their brain. Now if you want to make a lot of money, figure out what needs to be done from a surgical standpoint and "pitch" the idea at a medical conference. While they're in there intentionally tearing/repairing every HS freshman's Tommy John parts so they "heal stronger", they can make a quick switch in the head so they can all wake up super human.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FT35 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
It's got to be a brain thing more than anything. Left/Right dominance starts there. I just don't think most people have proper (natural) development in that area of their brain. Now if you want to make a lot of money, figure out what needs to be done from a surgical standpoint and "pitch" the idea at a medical conference. While they're in there intentionally tearing/repairing every HS freshman's Tommy John parts so they "heal stronger", they can make a quick switch in the head so they can all wake up super human.

That makes sense to me.

As I recall, Billy Wagner was a righty when he was young, broke his arm, and started throwing left handed. I also had a buddy in high school who was a natural righty but threw around 75-80 MPH right handed and 80-85 left handed. He just had absolutely no control from the left side.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)

Yeah, while I never pitched, I mirrored throwing my right hand from the left side and was able to.

Joel Sherman‏Verified account @Joelsherman1 1h1 hour ago Just to clarify what is coming: MLB owners are set to ratify new posting system with Japan tomorrow, at which point Ohtani MUST be posted the same day and will have until Dec. 22 to sign with an MLB team. So the clock starts ticking for real tomorrow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
James Anderson‏ @RealJRAnderson 20h20 hours ago Heard @keithlaw say on the ESPN pod that Ohtani has been clocked as an 80-grade runner. That's kind of a big deal, and something I did not know.

Jayson Stark‏Verified account @jaysonst 2h2 hours ago Jayson Stark Retweeted Sung Min Kim

This home-to-first time for Ohtani is totally legit. Heard this from too many people who have seen him. He'd be one of the fastest players in baseball.

Sung Min KimVerified account @sung_minkim Replying to @jaysonst 3.80 sec to 1st base on this one. Quite fast. 21 replies 69 retweets 215 likes

Jeremy Frank @MLBRandomStats For context, assuming this timing is accurate: In 2016, only one player (Billy Burns) had a top (avg of top 5) home to first time of under 3.80. Billy Hamilton’s average of his top five runs was 3.82. Ohtani is fast. https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/936123907135778816

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Jayson Stark‏Verified account @jaysonst 2h2 hours ago Jayson Stark Retweeted Sung Min Kim

This home-to-first time for Ohtani is totally legit. Heard this from too many people who have seen him. He'd be one of the fastest players in baseball.

Sung Min KimVerified account @sung_minkim Replying to @jaysonst 3.80 sec to 1st base on this one. Quite fast. 21 replies 69 retweets 215 likes

Jeremy Frank @MLBRandomStats For context, assuming this timing is accurate: In 2016, only one player (Billy Burns) had a top (avg of top 5) home to first time of under 3.80. Billy Hamilton’s average of his top five runs was 3.82. Ohtani is fast. https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/936123907135778816

Wow. Regardless of where he signs, I can't wait to see this talent play.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/11/30/klawchat-11-30-17/

Jim1:07Hi Keith, I've seen you talk in the past about Ohtani not being a major league regular level hitter, but I'm wondering what specifically is the issue. Is it the hit tool? Or is the power not what it appears to be?

Keith Law1:08It's the very long swing and poor contact rates. Then he's going to come here and play 40% of the time, or less. People who think he's going to be a legit two-way player are wishcasting, or just pushing clickbait.

Angels received $1.21 million, all of the Braves remaining bonus pool money, along with Johnson for a prospect. Angels now have $1.315 million to offer Ohtani. I'll add them to the list of teams I expect to sign him (along with Yankees, Rangers and Mariners).

Edited by soxfan2014

Everyone who says Ohtani can't do it are just threatened by something they don't know how to comprehend. Ohtani is such a rare case because players at his talent level would never be allowed to play both because they would be drafted out of high school (where many do play both) and then forced to only do one thing by the organization. As we see more high end talent ending up going to college, we are seeing more players who are allowed to play both and are thriving. Who is to say that Hunter Greene, if he had gone to college, couldn't have been a top pick either way like McKay was? Now I don't think everyone can do this and Ohtani may well fail in one of the aspects, but to dismiss it out of hand is shortsighted.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Angels received $1.21 million, all of the Braves remaining bonus pool money, along with Johnson for a prospect. Angels now have $1.315 million to offer Ohtani. I'll add them to the list of teams I expect to sign him (along with Yankees, Rangers and Mariners).

I have to imagine they are also looking at all of the Braves kids that just got set loose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
I have to imagine they are also looking at all of the Braves kids that just got set loose.

To officially remove any doubt...

#Angels GM Billy Eppler: "The money acquired in this deal was with an eye toward Shohei Ohtani and the pursuit of him as a player for us."

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/...389062490963968

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
I tried for a whole summer in my teen years to do it. Could never get the fluid mechanics down as I did from my natural side. I was terrible.

Why am I not surprised.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
Everyone who says Ohtani can't do it are just threatened by something they don't know how to comprehend. Ohtani is such a rare case because players at his talent level would never be allowed to play both because they would be drafted out of high school (where many do play both) and then forced to only do one thing by the organization. As we see more high end talent ending up going to college, we are seeing more players who are allowed to play both and are thriving. Who is to say that Hunter Greene, if he had gone to college, couldn't have been a top pick either way like McKay was? Now I don't think everyone can do this and Ohtani may well fail in one of the aspects, but to dismiss it out of hand is shortsighted.

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to do either of them we'll in the MLB, let alone both.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Shohei Ohtani development: Multiple @MLB team execs believe Ohtani may actually prefer to sign with a club that doesn’t already have a Japanese star; Ohtani’s camp has not commented on that. @MLBNetwork

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/936600677220003841

How many Japanese "stars" are there even in the MLB currently? Tanaka? Wherever Darvish signs? Or does it just mean players in general?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)
Score another point for the White Sox.

Sox push for him:

1. Guaranteed at-bats 2-3 games between starts no matter if he struggles (contender probably can't hold onto that promise if he is struggling) for 2 years.

2. No Japanese stars

3. Medical/training staff. Sox are great at breaking in young pitchers into the league. Will be breaking in others for a full season of work so Sox can carry 6th starter/long reliever type to help make it through the season and provide more rest.

4. Can grow with the rest of the young players brought in over the past year (and even before that)

5. While Chicago does not have a huge Japanese population, Chicago has a very diverse population in general.

Also, have Tadahito Iguchi reach out to him to talk about his time in the city.

Edited by soxfan2014