Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

I really wish the far left didn’t scream “get rid of all guns” every time we have a shooting like this. That’s never going to happen and just gives the pro-gun crowd the ammo they need to make no changes. The focus should be on getting rid of completely unnecessary things like assault weapons & high-capacity clips and putting far stricter restrictions /controls in place for general gun ownership. That won’t stop everything but it would be a huge step in the right direction. Unfortunately our completely broken government will never get that done.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 06:33 PM)
I really wish the far left didn’t scream “get rid of all guns” every time we have a shooting like this. That’s never going to happen and just gives the pro-gun crowd the ammo they need to make no changes. The focus should be on getting rid of completely unnecessary things like assault weapons & high-capacity clips and putting far stricter restrictions /controls in place for general gun ownership. That won’t stop everything but it would be a huge step in the right direction. Unfortunately our completely broken government will never get that done.

You are completely correct, that would be a great step in the right direction, i'd add stop producing the associated ammo.

But statistics DO prove that severely reducing the number of guns would correlate with severely reducing the number of mass shootings.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 06:37 PM)
You are completely correct, that would be a great step in the right direction, i'd add stop producing the associated ammo.

But statistics DO prove that severely reducing the number of guns would correlate with severely reducing the number of mass shootings.

I’m sure it would, but it’s just not a realistic solution. Too many people in this country (right or wrong) love their guns and will not give up that right. But there is so much low hanging fruit here it’s an absolute shame we haven’t made an ounce of progress since Sandy Hook. Our government has completely failed us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 04:33 PM)
I really wish the far left didn’t scream “get rid of all guns” every time we have a shooting like this.

Where exactly are you seeing this? I don't think I've seen anyone literally say that today.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 02:19 PM)
It's not time to talk about how to prevent tragedies. We have to wait, like, at least a week.

So THAT'S why they never pass gun laws. If you have to wait a week after every mass shooting to talk about it, and there are 5-7 mass shootings a week, you can never talk about it.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 08:15 PM)
So THAT'S why they never pass gun laws. If you have to wait a week after every mass shooting to talk about it, and there are 5-7 mass shootings a week, you can never talk about it.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 12:41 AM)
If Sandy Hook couldn’t change anything, then nothing will.

I tend to agree. This incident has shut up Greg. No more outrage over these incidents. Just sadness, complete sadness. It's rinse repeat. We hear about the heroes (bless them). We hear about the murderer. The coverage of these incidents is always complete and exemplary because all the national media outlets are so used to covering this stuff. And the local outlets as well. And the police and responders and hospitals are all used to the news conferences, etc. We go on from one incident to the next week after week.

No outrage from me (see my posts on the Colorado movie theatre and many of the school shootings). I'm burned out. Just sad.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 12:43 AM)
my wife's school district considered arming them with bags of golf balls

I wish I was joking.

Again, very strange. I guess you throw the golf balls at the murderer as hard as you can and hope you hit him in the head or scare him. Doesn't seem too effective.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 07:54 PM)
Where exactly are you seeing this? I don't think I've seen anyone literally say that today.

I’ve seen it on the news, on twitter, etc. And I’ve seen it multiple times in this very thread along with other shooting-related threads. I’ve seen you yourself make this very claim on this website. I have no problem if someone is against guns, but the “let’s get rid all of guns” rhetoric isn’t going to accomplish anything. It’s never going to happen in this country. I want actual change and people right now should be demanding an assault weapons ban. That’s something that should theoretically be feasible. It won’t necessarily prevent mass shootings but it would sure as s*** reduce the death tolls. I just have no faith in the government or the people who elect it to the do right thing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 09:21 PM)
I’ve seen it on the news, on twitter, etc. And I’ve seen it multiple times in this very thread along with other shooting-related threads. I’ve seen you yourself make this very claim on this website. I have no problem if someone is against guns, but the “let’s get rid all of guns” rhetoric isn’t going to accomplish anything. It’s never going to happen in this country. I want actual change and people right now should be demanding an assault weapons ban. That’s something that should theoretically be feasible. It won’t necessarily prevent mass shootings but it would sure as s*** reduce the death tolls. I just have no faith in the government or the people who elect it to the do right thing.

Of course it won't. But more guns isn't the answer. Thoughts and prayers isn't the answer. I agree with you, It has to be tougher to acquire these weapons of mass destruction, no one is naive enough to think even a ban will totally stop it., but it is at least a start. And any politician, no matter what party, who thinks now is not the time should be called out by all citizens, no matter what party, and be replaced. There is absolutely no reason the NFA can keep winning on this.

“It doesn’t seem to matter to our government that children are being shot to death day after day,” Kerr said. … “It’s not enough apparently to move our leadership, our government, the people who are running this country to actually do anything. That’s demoralizing.

“But we can do something about it. We can vote people in who actually have the courage to protect people’s lives and not just bow down to the NRA because they’ve financed their campaign for them. … Hopefully we can find enough people with courage to actually help our citizens remain safe and focus on the real safety issues, not building some stupid wall for billions of dollars that has nothing to do with our safety, but actually protecting us from what truly is dangerous, which is maniacs with semiautomatic weapons just slaughtering our children. It’s disgusting.”

Steve Kerr, no stranger to gun violence affecting his family, weighs in (cnn.com)

If Americans want gun control legislation in the wake of Wednesday’s mass shooting at a Florida high school, they need to vote Republicans out of office, a former GOP lawmaker said.

“Republicans will never do anything on gun control,” former Rep. David Jolly (R-Fla.) said on CNN Wednesday.

Jolly said Republicans refuse to enact any gun control laws, even after a member of Congress was shot at a baseball practice last year.

“The idea of gun policy in the Republican party is to try to get a speaking slot at the NRA and prove to that constituency that you are further right than generations past on guns,” Jolly said.

Then, he called on voters to take to the ballot box in November:

“If this is the issue that defines your ideology as a voter, there are two things I would suggest tonight. First, flip the House. Flip the House. Republicans are not going to do a single thing after this shooting we saw today.”

Democrats should then bypass Republicans and go directly to the law enforcement community and work on real solutions for gun control, Jolly said. He also suggested it might be time to give his party the boot since Republicans in Congress have done little to keep President Donald Trump in check.

“We do know that we have a president who very well might put this nation at risk and this Republican Congress has done nothing to check his power,” Jolly added. “Democrats could, and we might be better off as a republic if they take the House in 2018.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-gop-lawmaker-...-084359146.html

Edited by caulfield12

What need’s to happen from a political standpoint to finally see some change here? What branches of the government do the Democrats need control of to actually get some policy done? I need some hope here, because right now it just seems like the entire government is a complete & epic joke that will never do anything about gun violence.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:45 AM)
What need’s to happen from a political standpoint to finally see some change here? What branches of the government do the Democrats need control of to actually get some policy done? I need some hope here, because right now it just seems like the entire government is a complete & epic joke that will never do anything about gun violence.

And it has been like this for a long time whether a Democrat or Republican is in the office.

It's time for Little Marco to take his $3.3 million in contributions from the NRA and go home:

Rubio rejected calls for gun control in an interview with Fox News after the Parkland shooting, saying it was the wrong time to discuss such efforts “because people don’t know how this happened.”

“I think it’s important to know all of [the facts] before you jump to conclusions that there’s some law we could have passed that could have prevented it,” he said. “There may be, but shouldn’t we at least know the facts? I think that we can always have that debate, but ... you should know the facts of that incident before you run out and prescribe some law you claim could have prevented it.”

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:02 AM)
And it has been like this for a long time whether a Democrat or Republican is in the office.

Two parties hell bent on fighting each other instead of actually representing the people who elected them. They give two s***s about anything but what they are told to think.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:45 AM)

I think the Democrats would need to hold a super majority to get anything passed, but they can't take control and use the bulls*** line "we are gonna pass sensible gun laws" or whatever they normally say. People need to start demanding they actually put forward an actual bill to ban the guns that are used in mass shootings.

I honestly don't think anything like that will happen in our lifetimes, since conservatives refuse to do anything about banning guns. We need to look at other options. Schools should probably be on total lock down all the time. Metal detectors at every entrance. Classroom doors should have to be locked at all times when class is in session. Bulletproof windows on every door, inside and outside. I think a lot of schools have cops on duty, they will probably have to double or triple that. Probably shouldn't have kids ever in large groups at any time.

Kids will have to go to school pretty much in a prison, so that some piece of s*** going through a mid life crisis can sit at home at night and polish his AR-15 while watching Hannity or whatever these people do.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 08:49 AM)
I think the Democrats would need to hold a super majority to get anything passed, but they can't take control and use the bulls*** line "we are gonna pass sensible gun laws" or whatever they normally say. People need to start demanding they actually put forward an actual bill to ban the guns that are used in mass shootings.

I honestly don't think anything like that will happen in our lifetimes, since conservatives refuse to do anything about banning guns. We need to look at other options. Schools should probably be on total lock down all the time. Metal detectors at every entrance. Classroom doors should have to be locked at all times when class is in session. Bulletproof windows on every door, inside and outside. I think a lot of schools have cops on duty, they will probably have to double or triple that. Probably shouldn't have kids ever in large groups at any time.

Kids will have to go to school pretty much in a prison, so that some piece of s*** going through a mid life crisis can sit at home at night and polish his AR-15 while watching Hannity or whatever these people do.

There are plenty of dems that would block any major gun reform as well. I'm hoping for baby steps here.