NLCS: Cubs vs. Dodgers

LittleHurt05

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 15, 2017 -> 10:06 PM)
Hell f*** yeah! Purposely didn't watch again and followed along on line. I will continue to not watch in hopes of the Dodgers making this a quick series. :pray

So bloody happy I can't stand it!

I'm still nervous even though half the horseshoe fell out tonight.

A couple of interesting facts:

1. The last walk-off home run by the Dodgers in the post-season was Kirk Gibson's famous walk-off home run in 1988 on this date (October 15th)

2. Duensing preceded Ubaldo Jiminez taking the loss in last year's AL WC game after Showalter refused to use Zach Britton. Duensing also preceded John Lackey in a similar situation today.

To be quite honest, as a distant observer, I think it's appalling that fans would be wanting Maddon to go away. He may have made a mistake with Lackey, but look at what happens when you get rid of such a manager. It could be 10x worse like the White Sox or bulls situations...

Joe Maddon is a fine/great manager and seems like a guy the players want to play for. A+ to him. Cubs aren't going to be able to win every World series from here on out and changing a manager would be a terrible decision.

If Maddon has a nice roster, he wins. The other stuff, like petting zoos during spring training, as long as he wins, is considered genius. If he had a 76 win roster, he would get killed for it. If Lackey came in last night and got the job done, and he was able to use Wade Davis to close, and the Cubs won, they would have been kissing his ass all day today, just like they did when Ozzie brought in El Duque in Boston. If what probably 99% of people thought would happen when El Duque entered and the Sox lost, Ozzie would have been an idiot. They are different but they are the same. Both guys are/were gold for the media, and things get a little slanted to where they get/got even more credit than they deserved when their teams won.

Joe amaddon seems like a pretty cool guy. I just doubt he is so much smarter about baseball than everyone else. He has been in good situations. When he started in Tampa, they were awful and lost, and they got awful again and lost so he fled.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
If Maddon has a nice roster, he wins. The other stuff, like petting zoos during spring training, as long as he wins, is considered genius. If he had a 76 win roster, he would get killed for it. If Lackey came in last night and got the job done, and he was able to use Wade Davis to close, and the Cubs won, they would have been kissing his ass all day today, just like they did when Ozzie brought in El Duque in Boston. If what probably 99% of people thought would happen when El Duque entered and the Sox lost, Ozzie would have been an idiot. They are different but they are the same. Both guys are/were gold for the media, and things get a little slanted to where they get/got even more credit than they deserved when their teams won.

Joe amaddon seems like a pretty cool guy. I just doubt he is so much smarter about baseball than everyone else. He has been in good situations. When he started in Tampa, they were awful and lost, and they got awful again and lost so he fled.

This is a very good post. I do agree with this post almost 100 percent. I think talent wins in the long run, but I've said on here before that if a manager is really really bad, that manager could screw up a team that has WS talent. By that bad, I mean Bevington and Robin. Clown is the right word for Bevington, maybe a little too harsh for Robin, but Robin was close to buffoon-like status.

Like Dusty. I don't think Dusty is a buffoon and he could easily be a WS manager as well. s*** happens when your team is not quite good enough.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Joe Maddon Keeps Shooting Himself in the Foot

http://thebiglead.com/2017/10/16/joe-maddo...lf-in-the-foot/

This quote cracks me up.

I really just needed him for the save tonight,” Maddon said of Davis. “He had limited pitches. It was one inning only, and in these circumstances you don’t get him up and then don’t get him in. So if we had caught the lead, he would have pitched. That’s it.”

The game is tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 9th on the road, his offense struggling, his team down 1-0 in the series and he's concerned about getting Davis the save? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. At that point in the game, the most important thing is preserving that 1-1 tie to get to extra innings. Seriously, that's a Dusty Baker move. :lol:

I think we've all watched enough baseball to know that plenty of managers have used their closer in the 9th to preserve the tie and hope for some offense in extra innings. It's OK Joe Maddon , keep managing like this, it's making us Sox fans quite happy. :D

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
This quote cracks me up.

The game is tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 9th on the road, his offense struggling, his team down 1-0 in the series and he's concerned about getting Davis the save? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. At that point in the game, the most important thing is preserving that 1-1 tie to get to extra innings. Seriously, that's a Dusty Baker move. :lol:

I think we've all watched enough baseball to know that plenty of managers have used their closer in the 9th to preserve the tie and hope for some offense in extra innings. It's OK Joe Maddon , keep managing like this, it's making us Sox fans quite happy. :D

I think the emphasis needs to be on not getting him up and then not using him, as opposed to the save part.

He was clearly taking a gamble, and it backfired, but he obviously was trying to optimize his usage considering he could only get up once.

As was said in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Joe Maddon, "you chose poorly."