Looks For A Match In A Jose Abreu Trade

GenericUserName

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
I don't know when Hahn said the team wouldn't be contending until 2020. But if he actually said that and meant that I just want it to be known that statement actually depresses me. That just confirms my thoughts that this team is going to be crummy for the next few seasons. And it will be a team with a very low payroll. Always remember, low payroll = more moola for JR and his investors.

JR will be 84 that year. He may be following the team from the community room of Shady Acres Home for Franchise Owners in AZ.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
Good point this is what I was saying in the Avi thread as well. This way we don’t cripple the rebuild before it gets off the ground with a big mistake.

Exactly and if they spend huge on free agents now, then where does the money come from to extend core players later? Fans are going to need patience during this rebuild.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)
Alright, cool. See you in 2020 then.

You'll be missed.

We should light some candles to burn so that fans can find their way back in 2020.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Did you not know the Sox are rebuilding?

That's just an old wives tale. Rebuilds don't really exist.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
JR will be 84 that year. He may be following the team from the community room of Shady Acres Home for Franchise Owners in AZ.

It's comforting to know that you'll be there to show him around.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 11:42 PM)
Alright, cool. See you in 2020 then.

You'll be missed.

Some fans don't like those of us who want to win now. They'd rather we just go away for a few years so there will be no dissenters regarding the rebuild. Prospects, baby. Acquire as many as you can. Wait til next year. Some of us think the fan should get a decent product for the excessive costs to see a game. Pretty soon it's gonna be 15 bucks for a beer. That'll be the cost 2 seasons from now. How much will parking be in 2 years? 50 a game?

Give me victories.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 11:32 PM)
Some fans don't like those of us who want to whine now. They'd rather we just go away for a few decades so there will be no whining regarding the rebuild. Prospects, baby. Acquire as many as you can, because it makes too much sense. Wait til next year to see how they progress. Some of us think the Royals fan (gregg) should get a decent product for the excessive costs to see a game in Kansas. Pretty soon it's gonna be 15 space-bucks for a beer. That'll be the most 2 years from now. How much will Winnebago parking be in 2 years? 50 space-bucks a game?

Give me PreparationH!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
Some fans don't like those of us who want to win now. They'd rather we just go away for a few years so there will be no dissenters regarding the rebuild. Prospects, baby. Acquire as many as you can. Wait til next year. Some of us think the fan should get a decent product for the excessive costs to see a game. Pretty soon it's gonna be 15 bucks for a beer. That'll be the cost 2 seasons from now. How much will parking be in 2 years? 50 a game?

Give me victories.

I personally don't want "dissenters" to "go away" but rather would hope that you folks would finally... for once and for all... under-flipping-stand that you can't have it both ways.

You literally can't spend big in free agency to give a fan base victories and rebuild your entire organization at the same time.

If a great buy comes up that is willing to sign, sure - sign him up. But the concept of spending to win has proved itself a futile exercise.

Oh f*** me... I'm going down the rabbit hole again. Nevermind... mission abort. Turning around and running away.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
Machado isn't getting 500mil. That is absurd. 400 mil is even a bit high. He didn't exactly light it up last season. I predict something like 10 year 35 mil. Would you rather have avi + abreu or Machado+ more touted prospects? I know what makes sense. The sox will have NO payroll. I don't see why it's hard to imagine the sox making a play for Machado. It makes almost too much sense. What's the different between signing 2-4 free agents vs signing machado? Obviously the length will be different, but they will have LOTS of payroll freed up. I don't know what you have against Jerry or if you are stereotyping, but he will spend if he sees it as a wide investment.

Manny Machado isn't exactly low hanging fruit.The next time the Sox give out a huge contract for many years without an out of some kind will be their 1st. We'll all see what Reinsdorf is made of when the time comes, if he is still alive. I wonder what happens to the rebuild if Reinsdorf suddenly passes away ? Anyway it's really hard to make an argument for a 10 yr deal because it usually ends up crippling the team financially while all the prospects are now grown up and leaving. The window of opportunity is small . Houston and the Cubs made it look easy but failures are much more prominent since only one team a year is the ultimate winner .We'll see how the Sox go about the business of filling remaining holes or if they will perpetually keep creating new ones or do the whole 2nd tier FA thing and hope for better luck than before.

It's one thing to give Luis Robert money, you get all his minor league years and major league time for 6 years so that's about 10 years and relatively cheap if he is productive in his time in the majors. It's quite another thing to pay for past performance and expect it to continue for another 8-10 years when half the contract ends up being in declining/injury years .

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
Machado isn't getting 500mil. That is absurd. 400 mil is even a bit high. He didn't exactly light it up last season. I predict something like 10 year 35 mil. Would you rather have avi + abreu or Machado+ more touted prospects? I know what makes sense. The sox will have NO payroll. I don't see why it's hard to imagine the sox making a play for Machado. It makes almost too much sense. What's the different between signing 2-4 free agents vs signing machado? Obviously the length will be different, but they will have LOTS of payroll freed up. I don't know what you have against Jerry or if you are stereotyping, but he will spend if he sees it as a wide investment.

I don't think it will be when Machado is on the market. I think 10-- $375-400.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 05:10 AM)
Manny Machado isn't exactly low hanging fruit.The next time the Sox give out a huge contract for many years without an out of some kind will be their 1st. We'll all see what Reinsdorf is made of when the time comes, if he is still alive. I wonder what happens to the rebuild if Reinsdorf suddenly passes away ? Anyway it's really hard to make an argument for a 10 yr deal because it usually ends up crippling the team financially while all the prospects are now grown up and leaving. The window of opportunity is small . Houston and the Cubs made it look easy but failures are much more prominent since only one team a year is the ultimate winner .We'll see how the Sox go about the business of filling remaining holes or if they will perpetually keep creating new ones or do the whole 2nd tier FA thing and hope for better luck than before.

It's one thing to give Luis Robert money, you get all his minor league years and major league time for 6 years so that's about 10 years and relatively cheap if he is productive in his time in the majors. It's quite another thing to pay for past performance and expect it to continue for another 8-10 years when half the contract ends up being in declining/injury years .

If JR suddenly passes away OR decides to sell the team the new owner will try to sign some free agents to try and stimulate some interest in the team. JR did that when he bought the team in 1981 when he signed Fisk and Luzinski.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
I personally don't want "dissenters" to "go away" but rather would hope that you folks would finally... for once and for all... under-flipping-stand that you can't have it both ways.

You literally can't spend big in free agency to give a fan base victories and rebuild your entire organization at the same time.

If a great buy comes up that is willing to sign, sure - sign him up. But the concept of spending to win has proved itself a futile exercise.

Oh f*** me... I'm going down the rabbit hole again. Nevermind... mission abort. Turning around and running away.

This goes both ways. You guys who only want prospects to be our rebuilt WS team frustrate me. Why? Our division blows? Yes there's been a flavor of the month, KC when it had the great bullpen and Cleveland (I guess) the past two years. But it doesn't take much to compete in this division. That's why it frustrates me to get rid of Avi and Abreu and push back contention time even more.

You guys act like the rebuild is the only way to win a division and get hot and win a WS. And by rebuild I mean the entire roster. Some of us like to have some familiar White Sox names around. It's not our fault it "hasn't worked" before because of an incompetent front office. I understand your position. I don't believe you try to understand ours. Minnie made the playoffs this year for gawd sakes. You guys give our front office a pass for horrid baseball since 2005. I don't.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
This goes both ways. You guys who only want prospects to be our rebuilt WS team frustrate me. Why? Our division blows? Yes there's been a flavor of the month, KC when it had the great bullpen and Cleveland (I guess) the past two years. But it doesn't take much to compete in this division. That's why it frustrates me to get rid of Avi and Abreu and push back contention time even more.

You guys act like the rebuild is the only way to win a division and get hot and win a WS. And by rebuild I mean the entire roster. Some of us like to have some familiar White Sox names around. It's not our fault it "hasn't worked" before because of an incompetent front office. I understand your position. I don't believe you try to understand ours. Minnie made the playoffs this year for gawd sakes. You guys give our front office a pass for horrid baseball since 2005. I don't.

This is hysterical to me lol anyone else see the irony?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)

Giving our front office a "pass" would mean to let them keep doing what they had been doing and NOT selling. Which is exactly what you want Greg.. Sounds like you're giving them the pass.. But oh well.. the incoherence is confusing.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Giving our front office a "pass" would mean to let them keep doing what they had been doing and NOT selling. Which is exactly what you want Greg.. Sounds like you're giving them the pass.. But oh well.. the incoherence is confusing.

Ironically, the "we're going to be pretty bad the next couple years" statement that triggered this round - that was my reaction to the Todd Frazier deal before 2016. "They have a crappy team and think they're only 1 player away, they aren't fixing the much deeper rot, they're going to be pretty bad the next couple years".

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
Trading Garcia and Abreu would seem to indicate that the team has no intentions of competing for anything the next few years. Instead we'll have lousy teams with low payrolls and mucho profits for JR and his investors. Then in another 4 years the team will start another 5 year rebuild. Always remember what Bill Veeck said, "5 year plans usually lead to a new 5 year plan".

All depends who they get. They could get an MLB ready player. This would not push the competing timeline further down the road. Your making an assumption that the players they get are far away from the MLB. They have a good number of young ones (within 2-3 years of the MLB) so it would make sense to acquire others for that timeframe.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)
Sure will be miserable for Greg and that WBSASDAJS guy when Kopech, Eloy, and others come up and start performing. I expect them to keep their anti-rebuild positions when this happens.

Not miserable. I said as a bad fan I still have the right to cheer for our team. What I want is those guys to perform well and start winning asap. I am of the opinion we've wasted the years of Sale and Q because of bad managing by Robin and bad putting together of a team by KW and Hahn. You have two starters like that and you can't build a team around them? Welcome to White Sox baseball. We couldn't do it.

I have accepted the rebuild. I like some of the players we got. I reserve the right to root for whatever plaeyrs we throw out there. That doesn't mean I accept everything the front office does. I'm not going to be miserable when our prospects do well. I want to win no matter who is on the field.

Edited by greg775