Dodgers trade Adrian Gonzalez, BMac, Kazmir, Culberson

Heads22

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Yeah, if you take a look at what Liriano went for it was two fringy top 100 guys he was making less and had some upside vs Kemp who has none. So at the very least I'd want two guys just inside or outside the top 100 with upside and looking at the dodgers system there isn't much there. Thier top guys struggled badly. Even Alvarez who I like was pretty bad in 2017 had command issues and 1.6 WHIP. Their bottom 100 guys don't really excite me Lux is interesting but he struggled to hit in A ball.

It all depends on how motivated the Dodgers are to move him I wouldn't be surprised to see a team end up with more. Kemp is a toxic asset.

The kids were talking about definitely need more time and come with risk being so low in development yet. I Like the names we've discussed and would take the chance in the right deal but I would not bother with Kendall. The dodgers can keep him.

Another idea to explore would be a package of Kemp/Pederson.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
I'd say you're pretty close on this. Luis Robert got a 26M signing bonus and is currently ranked #23 on mlbs pipeline.

Kemp should be worth about half of his remaining 42M. So we would be looking for a prospect who's value is around 20M, give or take. Probably won't get Verdugo ( ranked #24 ) but maybe Kemp + one of Alvarez/Kendall/Diaz gets it done.

I like the idea of Lux. Add Caleb Ferguson to Lux and Kemp, and I'm in.

Looks good to me

The highest rated LAD prospect I can see involved would be OF Jeren Kendall (74 in baseball)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/reac...aves-trade.html

Here's the part about the Dodgers appearing willing to deal prospects with Kemp to move most of the contract. The White Sox doing something like this makes 1,000 times more sense than trading anything of value for Machado.

I would love to see us seek out teams to do deals like this with in order to maximize the amount of players we can get into our system.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:00 AM)
Interesting story on how MLB is making money hand over fist...but not spending as much on players...and it is the MLBPA that is partially to blame for it:

www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-mlbpa-has-a-big-problem-to-address-as-dodgers-yankees-marlins-dump-salary/

These moves were created by the MLBPA agreement for the salary tax. If they don't agree to the tax, the salary dump isn't needed. Except for the Marlins case, which is just the new owner wanting to start over.

The amount of money the MLB is irrelevant. There wasn't a decrease in salaries. It just moved from one team to another.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
These moves were created by the MLBPA agreement for the salary tax. If they don't agree to the tax, the salary dump isn't needed. Except for the Marlins case, which is just the new owner wanting to start over.

The amount of money the MLB is irrelevant. There wasn't a decrease in salaries. It just moved from one team to another.

The story specifically stated and gave the percentage, that the total percentage of money given to players has dropped. I think the story said it was at 36% of total income for MLB, something like that... where at one point in was in the low 50% range.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
The story specifically stated and gave the percentage, that the total percentage of money given to players has dropped. I think the story said it was at 36% of total income for MLB, something like that... where at one point in was in the low 50% range.

This is what they get for not agreeing to a salary cap, to an extent. In the NBA I think it's 51 % of the revenue goes to the players by agreement in the CBA.

As much as they don't want the salary cap, it would probably help them.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)

This is what they get for not agreeing to a salary cap, to an extent. In the NBA I think it's 51 % of the revenue goes to the players by agreement in the CBA.

As much as they don't want the salary cap, it would probably help them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 30m30 minutes ago trade market for matt kemp believed to be virtually nonexistent. if dodgers can find a taker via trade they are magicians.

Or they attached significant prospect compensation. Getting Buehler or Verdugo and sending back a Matt Rose or some college player who performed poorly at Great Falls would probably make the Sox interested.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
Or they attached significant prospect compensation. Getting Buehler or Verdugo and sending back a Matt Rose or some college player who performed poorly at Great Falls would probably make the Sox interested.

Can Verdugo be an odd-man out if they're plan is to sign Harper next off-season at all costs? They can also fall back on Charlie Blackmon, McCutchen (for a corner spot), Jones, Pollock, etc. as targets.

Edited by soxfan2014

[/quote

Who is Matt Rose?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)

Who is Matt Rose?

Third base prospect the Cubs sent us in the Q deal

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 30m30 minutes ago trade market for matt kemp believed to be virtually nonexistent. if dodgers can find a taker via trade they are magicians.

Yeah the Sox can throw him at DH and maybe get 6 million ish value. Maybe not having to play the field he could be a 800 plus hitter again and get into the 9 million territory.

He belongs in the AL. So yeah if the Dodgers make it enticing enough sure. I like Diaz and Alvarez. I'm not sure with the exception of Verdugo there is a prospect I'd want to do a 1-1 for. Buehler was awful in his debut. Alvarez had a down year and exhibited command issues.

Interesting enough Mayo has Heredia ranked 11th. Not sure why. Sure he has a wild swing but he's 18 years old and was one of the top international guys. He'd be an interesting get along with Alvarez or Diaz

Its not my money either, but this a win/win for both teams. The Dodgers could open up the cash to bring back a Yu and push themselves down into a luxury tax reset. Instead of saving say $20 million over two years, the Dodgers are looking to save tens of millions a year MORE once they head back into luxury tax space. We could be talking $100 million or more in savings because of this one deal.

The Sox should explore as the Dodgers have so much talent in all levels of their minor league system. We could still using some position players especially in the OF and 3B. A guy like Jeren Kendall was connected to the Sox a lot during the draft period. Lux is another who was connect to them at various points. Also wouldn't mind looking as some the crazy catching depth they have in their system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Its not my money either, but this a win/win for both teams. The Dodgers could open up the cash to bring back a Yu and push themselves down into a luxury tax reset. Instead of saving say $20 million over two years, the Dodgers are looking to save tens of millions a year MORE once they head back into luxury tax space. We could be talking $100 million or more in savings because of this one deal.

The Sox should explore as the Dodgers have so much talent in all levels of their minor league system. We could still using some position players especially in the OF and 3B. A guy like Jeren Kendall was connected to the Sox a lot during the draft period. Lux is another who was connect to them at various points. Also wouldn't mind looking as some the crazy catching depth they have in their system.

Plus, the Dodgers can make a run at Harper next off-season.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going through trade withdrawal. Soooooooooooooooo

There was an article on a Dodgers website yesterday that lamented the Dodgers would not be able to sign Yu Darvish(still a big wish for Dodger fans) unless they shed salaries of a number of arbitration eligible players(e.g.Yasamani Grandal, Pedro Baez and Joc Peterson).Even then they would come up short of what they estimated that they would need to strike a deal.

The obvious answer was to find some way for someone to take Matt Kemp off of their hands. I really think the Sox would be wasting an opportunity if they did not see what they could get out of LA if they traded for Kemp.

So let’s help them out. I would propose taking Kemp and all of his salary along with OF Alex Verdugo and pitcher Mitchell White. Some might say the price is to high but if a FV(future value) of a grade 55 player is about 20 million then the players and numbers do match up. I would still plan on Kemp being the DH for at least one year after that he could be released. I mean if Atlanta can DFA Gonzales with a year left on his contract then the Sox can do the same with Kemp .I don’t know what kind of influence he would be in the clubhouse but at least he could tell tales of what it was like to date Rihanna.

If this trade took place I would then look at trading Avisail Garcia + 4million dollars + Kevan Smith to Toronto for OF Anthony Alford, pitcher Nate Pearson and pitcher Eric Pardinho. I’m including the cash to make a trade for Avisail as attractive as possible and it would cover the bonuses paid out to the two pitchers last year.