2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Did you correct for games played discrepancies?

If you go just by American League teams, they are 13th/15th in Runs Scored.

For Runs allowed per game, they are 14th out of 15, barely ahead of the Royals for LAST (5.47 vs. 5.46)

If you look at their pitching fWAR for all of MLB, they’re 25th.  Hitting, they are 20th (a couple of weeks ago, they were 14th)...

wRC+=99 for 13th/30

Slugging 9th/30 (.417)

OBP 22nd (.311)

They’re not getting on base as frequently...and they’re struggling to drive in runners in scoring position, essentially, they don’t have a terrible or even bad offense, especially when you consider our stolen bases and how many sacrifice bunts we’ve wasted that haven’t led to runs scoring.

This were the first things I looked at then noticed while these didn't correlate really with the runs scored. Slugging% is in the top third and OBP was still better than 8 but the runs scored is near bottom. So for whatever reason the are scoring fewer runs than what the typical predictors would say, even with the 2 game difference for some teams. Are they unlucky and should improve just with the variance or do they not hit at the right times?

I don't know if it really means anything it's just interesting.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:43 AM, zisk said:

Rodon sharp again last night. If he comes up and pitches well and we call up Stevens and Kopech, the second half of the season 

would be fun to watch.

They expect Rodon up maybe next start. 

15 hours ago, pcq said:

They expect Rodon up maybe next start. 

I have tickets to Sunday's game, which would be Rodon's turn in the rotation as it would be 5 days since he last pitched in Charlotte. Covey is scheduled to pitch and no news has been announced about Rodon being called up, but man am I hoping. I would love to see his debut. If I were betting though, I bet they have him pitch in the next series. Him debuting at home though might draw some extra fannies to the park.

Remember all that "the White Sox traded for the wrong young Red Sox infielder", choosing Moncada instead of Devers?  Devers, although still only 21, is at .1 fWAR with a wRC+ of 74

Red Sox really rushed Devers but I think it's clear the Sox made a good choice with Moncada.  Moncada has proven he's a legit MLB 2B defensively.  Devers has a lot of his future up in the air as it's not clear he's a long term 3B and will his bat play at 1B or LF?

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Remember all that "the White Sox traded for the wrong young Red Sox infielder", choosing Moncada instead of Devers?  Devers, although still only 21, is at .1 fWAR with a wRC+ of 74

Red Sox really rushed Devers but I think it's clear the Sox made a good choice with Moncada.  Moncada has proven he's a legit MLB 2B defensively.  Devers has a lot of his future up in the air as it's not clear he's a long term 3B and will his bat play at 1B or LF?

Moncada may end up at 3B if Madrigal gets up by 2020.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, knightni said:

Moncada may end up at 3B if Madrigal gets up by 2020.

It's going to be a really hard decision and a good problem at the same time if that happens.  Moncada is +2.5 runs 100 odd starts at 2B.   I'm hoping for a Zobrist like impact from Madrigal.  Start him at three spots in the IF and corner OF if he can handle it and get him 130, 140 games a year that way.