Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Once again, I’m just talking about the return on the trade for Chris Sale.  It needs to be something special, simple as that.  It needs to be more special, for example, than the trade of the rental Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs, and look how that’s working out for the Yankees.  And for what it’s worth, I actually do think the Sox will come out very nicely on that trade once it’s all said and done.  I’m certainly not in any camp that suggests Moncada is a bust.  I think he’s going to eventually be a monster, and god only knows what greatness is coming our way with Kopech.  But that’s what I would expect when we trade a player of Sale’s caliber at his age with the contact he had.  Nothing less!

So you're basically just having an unnecessary, narrow conversation that does not matter.  

You're living in the past, FOF

• Thanks 1

Just now, AustinIllini said:

So you're basically just having an unnecessary, narrow conversation that does not matter.  

You're living in the past, FOF

Yes, the return on the trade of Chris Sale does not matter.  You are so right.  Such an irrational thought for a White Six fan to have.

🤦🏼‍♂ 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Fan O'Faust said:

You are guilty as charged.  

I'm happy to lose in the interest of a rebuild.  You're the one suggesting that the Sale trade is worth more than it is.  Maybe you can come back in 2020 when the team is ready to compete?  

I promise not to say I told you so then.

Edited by AustinIllini
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The present is a current 10-1 deficit at the hands of the Royals in the 6th.  

The present (game you cited) is also Moncada with two hits including a homer and walk. And Chris Sale is on the DL, at the present moment. 

Let’s see how this trade looks in a couple years before declaring it a bust, fair?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can we create a “Ownership / Front Office b****fest” thread and direct all further complaints there for the near future?  I have no problem is people hate Reinsdorf, KW, Hahn, etc. but it’s like every single thread gets derailed with the same tired argument.  We get it, these guys have a terrible track record over the past 10 years and probably didn’t deserve the opportunity to rebuild the club.  But those are the cards we’ve been dealt, so either we can all be patient and see how it shakes out or we can panic at every single bump in the road and use it an excuse to whine about these guys relentlessly.  I know this will fall on deaf ears, but a lot of good conservations are being ruined with all the non-stop b****ing.

Seriously, I'm so tired of every thread getting bogged down by the same 3-4 posters, "old man yells at cloud" nonsense. We get it, you guys hate the White Sox front office and every decision they make, but you don't need to derail every. single. conversation. to make your opinion heard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Seriously, I'm so tired of every thread getting bogged down by the same 3-4 posters, "old man yells at cloud" nonsense. We get it, you guys hate the White Sox front office and every decision they make, but you don't need to derail every. single. conversation. to make your opinion heard.

The funny part is it took 88 years for the team to win a World Series and this organization did it.  

34 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The present (game you cited) is also Moncada with two hits including a homer and walk. And Chris Sale is on the DL, at the present moment. 

Let’s see how this trade looks in a couple years before declaring it a bust, fair?

Make that two hits and two walks. On base 4/5 AB’s tonight. OPS up to .722. FOF should call him out more often.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Moncada perform well down the stretch and finish with a mid-700’s OPS. For comparison, Baez finished with a .737 OPS in 2016 (also his first full MLB season at age 23). Patience is needed here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Yes, the return on the trade of Chris Sale does not matter.  You are so right.  Such an irrational thought for a White Six fan to have.

🤦🏼‍♂ 

Fan O'Faust - I forgive you for assuming you could have a "narrow conversation" about Moncada and not a high level, broader discussion about the rebuild in a thread titled "Moncada".

Here’s Moncada’s line since Jul 1st:

15.9% BB rate, 25.7% K rate, .202 ISO, .306 BABIP, .244/.363/.447/.810, 124 wRC+

If we can see that type of offenizve production going forward, we’re already looking at a 4 to 5 WAR player.  And the reality is there is room for improvement with some postive BABIP regression, increased power, and strides against LHP pitching.  All this as a 23 year old with some of the loudest tools in baseball.  I really don’t see why so many people are down on him at the moment.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

15.9% BB rate, 25.7% K rate, .202 ISO, .306 BABIP, .244/.363/.447/.810, 124 wRC+

If we can see that type of offenizve production going forward, we’re already looking at a 4 to 5 WAR player.  And the reality is there is room for improvement with some postive BABIP regression, increased power, and strides against LHP pitching.  All this as a 23 year old with some of the loudest tools in baseball.  I really don’t see why so many people are down on him at the moment.

His lack of concentration and focus on defense the last two months would be one big reason, and concern about ever hitting over .200 against lefties.  

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Shouldn't someone with his speed and contact quality should expect a BABIP in the .320-.340 range?

Edited by Dam8610

34 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Shouldn't someone with his speed and contact quality should expect a BABIP in the .320-.340 range?

In a vacuum yes, but the strike zone issues probably play into it too. If he makes solid contact on most of his swings in the strike zone but then has issues with being behind in the count and being forced to swing at things on the corners which he can't drive, he might be able to keep a solid average exit velocity while still having a handful of weak, easy ground balls that drop that number.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

His lack of concentration and focus on defense the last two months would be one big reason, and concern about ever hitting over .200 against lefties.  

Luckily the defensive part is an easy fix, and the stuff he does well is stuff you can't really teach. And he has looked infinitely better against lefties as the season has gone on

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

A 23 year old Cuban middle infielder under a ton of scrutiny having mental lapses in the field. Shocking 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

A 23 year old Cuban middle infielder under a ton of scrutiny having mental lapses in the field. Shocking 

And essentially a rookie.  This is how kids play baseball.  They make dumb mistakes.  This shouldn't be a surprise to people who have watched baseball for any amount of time.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I agree with a young 23 year old having mental lapses.  Not sure what you mean by a ton of scrutiny. I posted yesterday that he is lucky he is on a bad team where there is limited pressure, If he was on a team fighting for the playoffs like  LA, NY Boston, Cubs Brewers etc there would be a ton of pressure. Moncada played under pressure when he was called up by Boston 2 years ago and it did not go well.  If he was on a pennant contender he would have to be a platoon player due to his RH problems. That would be instant pressure. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He HAS improved a lot in those 162 games.

I’m saying his slash line will improve. His k’s will be a lot fewer. His defense will be better- probably at 3b if he gets moved. 

His flashes of athleticism are great, but he’ll be a more well-rounded player by the end of 2019. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He HAS improved a lot in those 162 games.

I think the problem is some fans thought the #1 prospect would turn out to be an automatic star player. That is not a fair assumption. The Robinson Cano  comparisons added to the problem. We should hope he becomes a solid everyday player on a good team which we also hope Anderson will be. That is not to say that either or both won't become stars. 

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m saying his slash line will improve. His k’s will be a lot fewer. His defense will be better- probably at 3b if he gets moved. 

His flashes of athleticism are great, but he’ll be a more well-rounded player by the end of 2019. 

I don't see the rush in moving him to third base. Maybe if Madrigal were really flying up the chart, but as of now, Nick projects in MLB as a 2B who may offer good defense but doesn't hit for power nor get on base enough to justify moving guys over for his arrival. If he tweaks his approach to start taking walks, then it's a different discussion, but at the moment, I see a guy whose offensive game is solely reliant on singles and batting average, which could result in a deceptively ok but actually ugly .290/.315/.340 type of line.