6/3 Games

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just gonna post that. Could have easily gone another inning with 81 pitches, but I'm sure they know what they're doing. He seems to be either awesome or terrible.

His command is his big flaw...as it seems to be with Hansen, Kopech...All have ace potential however

I'm not saying Cease has been entirely dominant for Winston-Salem, but do the Sox need to consider moving him up soon? Sure, he's still inconsistent, but he's also 22 and getting tons of strikeouts. Let's see how his stuff plays in AA? Maybe give him another month or two in A ball and make the jump.

The biggest thing is IP/experience and developing his three secondary pitches.

Realizing he can use deception as well as overpowering fastball, especially 2nd and 3rd time through...as well as working back into counts, when he starts out behind 3-0, 2-1, 2-0, etc.

32 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Collins has really turned things around from his bad start. He's been a fucking beast! 

Anyone know how he's been defensively at catcher this year?

The Athletic had an article on this recently and the minor league catching coordinator didn’t give exactly the most glowing review.  Said he was still a work in process but had made some strides as of late.  Specifically mentioned game calling and receiving balls low in the zone as areas of opportunity.  He did say Zavala’s defensive game had progressed nicely.  I think post draft they’ll bump up Zavala to AAA so each kid can get more work behind the plate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Athletic had an article on this recently and the minor league catching coordinator didn’t give exactly the most glowing review.  Said he was still a work in process but had made some strides as of late.  Specifically mentioned game calling and receiving balls low in the zone as areas of opportunity.  He did say Zavala’s defensive game had progressed nicely.  I think post draft they’ll bump up Zavala to AAA so each kid can get more work behind the plate.

Thank you for passing that along. As long as some progress is being made I'll take it as good news. Looks like his bat is still pretty far ahead of his defense. 

I'm torn on which should be moved to Charlotte. IMHO, Collins bat is ready for Charlotte but it sound pike his defense isn't.

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Thank you for passing that along. As long as some progress is being made I'll take it as good news. Looks like his bat is still pretty far ahead of his defense. 

I'm torn on which should be moved to Charlotte. IMHO, Collins bat is ready for Charlotte but it sound pike his defense isn't.

I think you take your time with Collins as he’s got superstar upside if he can be a passable catcher.  Zavala is also older and sounds a bit more advanced defensively.

20 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

An interesting part of the article was they basically let him take some time off defense early in the season to get out of his slump, so he’s catching up now.