Carlos Rodon receiving trade interest

fathom

I just can't see the package available that I'd trade rodon for. And I don't want to trade him. Has the past year really made people feel comfortable that the talent of our pitchers will translate into production? I don't want to be a 50 win team for 3 straight years. Rodon is young, he fits the window. Who cares if he only produces for us in one of the competitive years? Not me, a competitive year sounds great!

13 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

That's bonkers. Vlad Guerrero is worth more than Rodon on his own. Vladdy is straight Gold.

That's not to downsize Rodon's value... just to make sure you realize that Vlad is insanely valuable right now.

Oh, and on Mejia, why do people want him? He's not going to be able to play catcher long term due to his defensive inabilities... if he goes anywhere else he's just an average hitter (he doesn't have much pop).

Correct.  Essentially I'm saying Rodon isn't "for sale" unless someone is stupid.

• Like 1

I would be very interested in trading Rodon for a Q-like package. As long as the return is similiar I think you have to do it.

Rodon has had struggles with us. He'd be a better option outside of our park. He's also very injury prone and if we can get a Q like return for him, then you have to do it 100% of the time.

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Padres want a TOR starter and Rodon looks like he’s finally fulfilling his potential.  I’m sure you’re right, but if one team did something crazy it’s the team that spent $140M on Hosmer when they we’ret even ready to compete.

Just curious not picking a fight or anything but what makes you think he is finally fulfilling his potential ? He is on a small streak of pitching well. He's had much longer streaks in 2 other seasons. I think they usually occur in the 2nd half of those other seasons where he's been dominant over periods of close to 10 starts.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just can't see the package available that I'd trade rodon for. And I don't want to trade him. Has the past year really made people feel comfortable that the talent of our pitchers will translate into production? I don't want to be a 50 win team for 3 straight years. Rodon is young, he fits the window. Who cares if he only produces for us in one of the competitive years? Not me, a competitive year sounds great!

Rodon has three years of control.  Saying he fits the window is very debatable.  Furthermore, he's had a mess of injury issues over the past few years.  If I can get Quintana like package for him, I'm taking that to the bank and running.  We have almost unlimited financial resources in the coming years and no reason we can't add a veteran starter to partially offset his production in the short-run.  Having said all that, I would need to be blown away to move him.  Otherwise, let's hope he can stay healthy and anchor our staff for the next three years.

6 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

What about the Braves with a package built around Austin Riley. That would solve our hole at third and they have so many arms we could probably get a pretty good one to help replace Rodon. 

I would love to add Riley, but he's not a good enough centerpiece IMO.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rodon has three years of control.  Saying he fits the window is very debatable.  Furthermore, he's had a mess of injury issues over the past few years.  If I can get Quintana like package for him, I'm taking that to the bank and running.  We have almost unlimited financial resources in the coming years and no reason we can't add a veteran starter to partially offset his production in the short-run.  Having said all that, I would need to be blown away to move him.  Otherwise, let's hope he can stay healthy and anchor our staff for the next three years.

If we aren't competitive in 2021 then in no way should this management team be in charge of trading one of our top assets again.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

What about the Braves with a package built around Austin Riley. That would solve our hole at third and they have so many arms we could probably get a pretty good one to help replace Rodon. 

Sure if they'd do it...but they have a hole at 3rd.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just curious not picking a fight or anything but what makes you think he is finally fulfilling his potential ? He is on a small streak of pitching well. He's had much longer streaks in 2 other seasons. I think they usually occur in the 2nd half of those other seasons where he's been dominant over periods of close to 10 starts.

No, it's a very fair question and honestly it's probably a bit early to jump to that conclusion.  I guess I thought he just looked different in his last start.  Very good pace from start to finish, much better composure on the mound, consistently getting ahead of hitters, & using the changeup more frequently.  Seemed like a different guy out there, although that's really the smallest of sample sizes.    

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we aren't competitive in 2021 then in no way should this management team be in charge of trading one of our top assets again.

You'd really keep Rodon if you thought our first legit year of being competitive was 2021?  Is one year of a TOR starter (assuming that's what he is) really worth the opportunity cost of forgoing a Quintana like pacakge (if we could get it)?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You'd really keep Rodon if you thought our first legit year of being competitive was 2021?  Is one year of a TOR starter (assuming that's what he is) really worth the opportunity cost of forgoing a Quintana like pacakge (if we could get it)?

They'd have a chance at being competitive and could let him walk with a QO. Honestly, I'd have to think long and hard and probably lean towards trade.

And while no one knows for sure that Rodon is fixed and on the fast track to acedom, I would think most teams inquiring aren't looking to pay premium price for him either.

As for timing, they  should be competitive in 2020, or this mgt team should finally exit left.  Even if not, they have plenty of time to trad him.

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't think our first year being competitive will be 2021, I think we will be competitive during the 3 year window he is with us, and he will be a part of that. One way to ensure we are not competitive during the next three years is to trade rodon.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Anderson, Riley, Pache and Contreras for Rodon and Cedeno

I mean, yeah that would work.  And I'm probably off-base on Riley.  I thought he had much more proficient swing & miss issues but that does not appear to be the case.  He could definitely be the positional centerpiece of a deal.    

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

They'd have a chance at being competitive and could let him walk with a QO. Honestly, I'd have to think long and hard and probably lean towards trade.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think our first year being competitive will be 2021, I think we will be competitive during the 3 year window he is with us, and he will be a part of that. One way to ensure we are not competitive during the next three years is to trade rodon.

What if we get pieces that can help us in 2020 though?  I really don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be.  Rodon is still a bit of a wild-card, especially with his health issues over the past couple seasons.

I understand there's a split of whether Mejia can stick at catcher, but if you believe he can, we just filled out biggest organizational question mark with an elite talent and can reallocate potential resources to the rotation.  

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

In the other thread on it, I listed Padres, Brewers, Yanks and Braves. I would say Phillies also.  

Below is about the lowest of packages I would accept from the teams that make sense for Rodon.  I'd start higher, but end here.  Anything less, pound sand. 

Padres - Meijia, Morejon, Naylor and Esteury Ruiz

Yanks - Florial, Sheffield and a couple interesting low level lottery tickets. 

Braves - Riley, Pache, Fried and lottery ticket. 

Phillies - I don't really think the Phillies match up well.  I'd take Sanchez +++, but I don't particularly like the fit for moving a piece like Rodon. 

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Which is totally fine if teams don't value him as a controllable TOR right now.  But if a team is offering up a haul for him right now, take the prospects and run.  We can always use the acquired prospects (or the depth it creates) to land a TOR starter when the time is right (hopefully prior to the 2020 season).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Below is about the lowest of packages I would accept from the teams that make sense for Rodon.  I'd start higher, but end here.  Anything less, pound sand. 

Padres - Meijia, Morejon, Naylor and Esteury Ruiz

Yanks - Florial, Sheffield and a couple interesting low level lottery tickets. 

Braves - Riley, Pache, Fried and lottery ticket. 

Phillies - I don't really think the Phillies match up well.  I'd take Sanchez +++, but I don't particularly like the fit for moving a piece like Rodon. 

The value for me is the same as Quintana, as said earlier. 

I'd need the following: Either your top 10 prospect and one the 75-100 range 

OR 2 top 50s plus one in the 75-125 range

I agree that the Phillies don't match up well because they can't trade Bohm. 

So, two possible packages from the Braves, Padres and Yankees. They're the only teams that have what it takes to acquire Rodon. 

Yankees:  Torres, A. Abreu + flyer OR Sheffield, Florial, Acevedo+flyer

Padres: Tatis Jr, Morejon+Flyer OR Gore, M. Baez and Nix

Braves: Wright, Riley, Fried OR Riley, Gohara, Toussaint

Those are my deals. If either team wanted, I'd be willing to flip an OF such as Basabe/Adolfo/Gonzalez to the team to gain an additional prospect that the Sox need organizationally. 

Edited by Jack Parkman