8/1 Games

flavum

Madrigal 0-3, but still K-less

Only one error as a pro too, and that was at SS in Arz.

It seems like they have just made him a 2B only guy now, so I’d have no problem flipping Sanchez and Moncada in Chicago. Face the inevitable now. 

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Another great start by Flores. He continues to produce since getting promoted to Birmingham. He’s slowly becoming one of my favorite prospects. 

He and Lambert have both developed into legitimate prospects with mid-rotation ceiling. The development staff should get some credit for this considering how quick everyone typically is to place the blame with them when things go wrong.

55 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Alfaro is on fire in GF. 3-4, 2B tonight

I noticed that too. He's still just 20. The Sox must have seen something in him because they had him in Arizona 3 years ago at 17. Finally getting some production to go with it.

10 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Another great start by Flores. He continues to produce since getting promoted to Birmingham. He’s slowly becoming one of my favorite prospects. 

Been following him for 2 years now and all he does is get guys out. Between Flores and Medieros, we should be fine from the left side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Flores K rate is 6.67 per 9.  Really doesn't miss enough bats.
On the other hand, the Braves pitcher who dominated the Sox in game 1 averages almost 12Ks per 9 - and he's not in their top 30. 

Are you saying he doesn’t miss enough bats to be successful in the majors? Or he doesn’t miss enough bats to be a highly ranked prospect?

4 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Flores K rate is 6.67 per 9.  Really doesn't miss enough bats.
On the other hand, the Braves pitcher who dominated the Sox in game 1 averages almost 12Ks per 9 - and he's not in their top 30. 

How many bats did Marl Beurhle miss

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Haven't heard of that guy before. /s

But I did ask that a week or so ago. I was trying to see if anyone had a scouting report to see if he was Buehrle type of pitcher

Scouting Report via MLB.com:

After pitching sparingly in three college seasons at Southern California, Flores signed as a seventh-round pick in 2016 and quickly established himself as the best left-handed pitching prospect in the White Sox system. Then his stuff regressed in his first full pro season, which ended three weeks early after he strained an oblique. Working with diminished velocity helped him become a better pitcher, however, and he has consistently registered quality starts throughout '18.

Flores' fastball velocity fluctuated from 88-97 mph with the Trojans, parked at 92-97 during his pro debut, but sat around 90 mph in 2017. He's working at 90-94 mph this year, giving him more separation from a quality changeup that can be a well above-average pitch at its best. He has tightened his curveball in '18 and also will mix in a slider/cutter.

Flores' control was as inconsistent as his fastball in college, but he has pounded the strike zone throughout his pro career. Though he doesn't have a plus pitch and doesn't miss a lot of bats -- both of which limit his ceiling -- he has a reasonably high floor as a back-of-the-rotation starter.

47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Scouting Report via MLB.com:

After pitching sparingly in three college seasons at Southern California, Flores signed as a seventh-round pick in 2016 and quickly established himself as the best left-handed pitching prospect in the White Sox system. Then his stuff regressed in his first full pro season, which ended three weeks early after he strained an oblique. Working with diminished velocity helped him become a better pitcher, however, and he has consistently registered quality starts throughout '18.

Flores' fastball velocity fluctuated from 88-97 mph with the Trojans, parked at 92-97 during his pro debut, but sat around 90 mph in 2017. He's working at 90-94 mph this year, giving him more separation from a quality changeup that can be a well above-average pitch at its best. He has tightened his curveball in '18 and also will mix in a slider/cutter.

Flores' control was as inconsistent as his fastball in college, but he has pounded the strike zone throughout his pro career. Though he doesn't have a plus pitch and doesn't miss a lot of bats -- both of which limit his ceiling -- he has a reasonably high floor as a back-of-the-rotation starter.

The cutter, lower velocity fastball, and change up sounds like a Buehrle type of pitcher.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

How many bats did Marl Beurhle miss

MB could paint the corner at the bottom of the knee pitch after pitch.  Command out the wazzu.  With today's hitters, he'd get more Ks. As it was, his WHIP was .94 in Birmingham.
If the scouts say that Flores doing that and inducing weak contact, then that's great too.  But I don't see scouting reports, so the only stat that lets me know about "stuff" or contact is the K rate.

Edited by GreenSox

• bmags unpinned this topic