8/12 Games

BamaDoc

9 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

HoT tAkE: He's a bust

I just don't get why some people would be down on Madrigal, honestly. No one's saying he'll bust but some people aren't excited about him. To me, he is the second surest thing in our system after Eloy. Yes, more than control-issue Kopech, and way more than injury-prone, hit-tool issue Luis Robert (I am excited about these two, but they have flaws that will kill their game if they don't control them).

Just doing a quick comparison, look at Andrelton Simmons. He doesn't strike out, he has some speed, and plays defense. He put up a 5.1 fWAR last year, and is at 4.4 this year. 

That's what Madrigal will do, except I think his hit tool is even more potent than Simmons'. So what if he doesn't hit for power? He doesn't have to.

I'll make a prediction right now: In 2020, Madrigal puts up 4 fWAR and wins the ROY.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I just don't get why some people would be down on Madrigal, honestly. No one's saying he'll bust but some people aren't excited about him. To me, he is the second surest thing in our system after Eloy. Yes, more than control-issue Kopech, and way more than injury-prone, hit-tool issue Luis Robert (I am excited about these two, but they have flaws that will kill their game if they don't control them).

Just doing a quick comparison, look at Andrelton Simmons. He doesn't strike out, he has some speed, and plays defense. He put up a 5.1 fWAR last year, and is at 4.4 this year. 

That's what Madrigal will do, except I think his hit tool is even more potent than Simmons'. So what if he doesn't hit for power? He doesn't have to.

I'll make a prediction right now: In 2020, Madrigal puts up 4 fWAR and wins the ROY.

Oh, I love Madrigal. Green font = sarcasm on SoxTalk. Just poking fun at our board can over react some times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Sir said:

A players who hits 10 HR a year will get criticized by some. I just hope the current players approach don't change him. In the eighth inning last toast the sox had two players on with walks and the next two hitters were swinging for the fences I stead of trying for hits. The "launch angle" wss a massive upper cut and both struck out. I really don't like this approach but it seems to be the norm.

25 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Oh, I love Madrigal. Green font = sarcasm on SoxTalk. Just poking fun at our board can over react some times.

I've been on this board in some fashion for well over a decade. Trust me, I know. And again, nobody is calling him a bust, AT ALL, but I know I've seen people who aren't high on him. But the dude is going to be a valuable MLB contributor.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

A players who hits 10 HR a year will get criticized by some. I just hope the current players approach don't change him. In the eighth inning last toast the sox had two players on with walks and the next two hitters were swinging for the fences I stead of trying for hits. The "launch angle" wss a massive upper cut and both struck out. I really don't like this approach but it seems to be the norm.

I've read interviews with Nick where he discusses how he feels about striking out, and how it's pretty much the most embarrassing thing that can happen to him at the plate. I don't think he's going to change all that now.

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I've read interviews with Nick where he discusses how he feels about striking out, and how it's pretty much the most embarrassing thing that can happen to him at the plate. I don't think he's going to change all that now.

Good.

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Guess what type of pitcher was on the mound with Sheets and Rutherford on the bench?

He just had Yrizarri attempt to steal and got a CS for the 3rd out in the 8th inning costing Robert an AB (which he needs all the ABs he can get).  Just awful. 

2 hours ago, The Sir said:

He doesn't need to hit for power but he does need to walk in order to offset that. His approach and stats both suggest that he has minimal interest in walking. A .300/.310/.360 hitter is not good, but a .300/.345/.360 hitter is. 

• Quin pinned this topic
5 hours ago, The Sir said:

I'm not down on him per se, but I don't love the pick. A 5'6 guy is going to have to prove it at the MLB level before I become a believer. 

6 hours ago, The Sir said:

Simmons does more than "plays defense".  He may be the best defensive player at the most important defensive position.  Projecting that for Madrigal doesn't seem fair, or right.

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

He has really put himself back on the map after a lost season last year.  I think he is in the mix in that 2nd tier of OFers.

Agreed about Call. With Madrigal, He has to have a 70+ hit tool to make up for his lack of power. Dude probably needs to hit .320+ every year to have value. .290 isn't going to cut it from him. I hope he's Tony Gwynn Sr. or Rod Carew. I only say this because the guy hates striking out so much that he's probably going to make a lot of outs and have a small difference between his BA and OBP. I doubt the guy will walk much if he's afraid of striking out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. With Madrigal, He has to have a 70+ hit tool to make up for his lack of power. Dude probably needs to hit .320+ every year to have value. .290 isn't going to cut it from him. I hope he's Tony Gwynn Sr. or Rod Carew. I only say this because the guy hates striking out so much that he's probably going to make a lot of outs and have a small difference between his BA and OBP. I doubt the guy will walk much if he's afraid of striking out. 

I don't think he'll walk much because his hand-eye coordination is so good, he will make a lot of contact early in the count.  If he swings, he's going to make contact at a huge rate.

• bmags unpinned this topic