Eloy Jimenez: I'm Ready (Players' Tribune)

Jose Abreu

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is zero chance the Sox haven't floated long term deals with Eloy's team.  Zero.

You really think that ? Already ? I mean I believe in Eloy as much as anyone else but why would they ? There's still a chance he becomes less than we expect and a chance of some catastrophic injury . In the event something bad happens then that money is wasted when the Sox might really need it .

I know you might argue that if Eloy doesn't make it we are screwed especially if Moncada doesn't figure things out but still what's the rush ?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You really think that ? Already ? I mean I believe in Eloy as much as anyone else but why would they ? There's still a chance he becomes less than we expect and a chance of some catastrophic injury . In the event something bad happens then that money is wasted when the Sox might really need it .

I know you might argue that if Eloy doesn't make it we are screwed especially if Moncada doesn't figure things out but still what's the rush ?

The big rush is that they will never be cheaper than they are today.  The big rush is to get a Chris Sale/Jose Quintana/Tim Anderson type of deal, control some free agency, and have cost certainty through arbitration.  I mean if they are willing to extend Tim Anderson, there is zero chance they aren't chasing Jimenez with something.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The big rush is that they will never be cheaper than they are today.  The big rush is to get a Chris Sale/Jose Quintana/Tim Anderson type of deal, control some free agency, and have cost certainty through arbitration.  I mean if they are willing to extend Tim Anderson, there is zero chance they aren't chasing Jimenez with something.

What kind of deal do you think we could potentially be looking at?

Just now, soxfan49 said:

What kind of deal do you think we could potentially be looking at?

I am sure it would be largely based on the most recent deals.  Tim Anderson's 6/25 is our most recent.  Scott Kingery got a 6/24 +3 team options before his ML debut.  Paul DeJong got a 6/26 +2 team options after his first partial season up.

If I had to guess, something like those with maybe up to 6/30 in the initial years, and 2 to 3 years worth of team options on the end.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am sure it would be largely based on the most recent deals.  Tim Anderson's 6/25 is our most recent.  Scott Kingery got a 6/24 +3 team options before his ML debut.  Paul DeJong got a 6/26 +2 team options after his first partial season up.

If I had to guess, something like those with maybe up to 6/30 in the initial years, and 2 to 3 years worth of team options on the end.

Sounds good, but then I think about Sale's and I could see something a little more per year how Sale got.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

But none of those guys were still in the minors when they extended them and an argument can be made that they jumped the gun on Anderson. You also forgot Eaton :P

• Love 1

I’d put Jimenez in the Longoria category of locking him up pretty much right away if he’s willing. He’s not without risk because of knees and you just never know what might happen, but the talent is clearly there. He’s one of the best offensive players on the planet right now. The Sox are probably trying to make his dream come true, but if he isn’t signing, he has to wait because that’s the game right now.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They are paying TA like a 1.5 WAR player and he's looking like a 2-3 WAR player, so that's a win.

All were a win as far as I'm concerned but none were still in the minors when extended . They still gotta show that ability up here before I'd approach them about being extended. Kingery isn't exactly tearing up baseball as of yet. Longoria signed after 6 games in the majors and management won that deal .Tons of older free agents or international free agents bust management loses.

Jonathan Singleton signed 5 yrs $10M players hated it but, guess what ,Singleton won and you could also say management won because whats $10M to them ? it's all about cost certainty where a player can win if he ends up sucking or hurt and management isn't paying huge dollars for old free agents nor big bucks for when a promising kid gets hurt or just never lives up to his potential.

31 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’d put Jimenez in the Longoria category of locking him up pretty much right away if he’s willing. He’s not without risk because of knees and you just never know what might happen, but the talent is clearly there. He’s one of the best offensive players on the planet right now. The Sox are probably trying to make his dream come true, but if he isn’t signing, he has to wait because that’s the game right now.

I can't remember how good of a fielder Longoria was back when he signed his extension or how high his injury risk was. Being a corner OF or even a future 1st baseman and his injury history I'm not sure I'd be putting Jimenez in Longoria's class. But its probably the closest you can get except for Kingery who is also an infielder.

2 hours ago, flavum said:

That’s the point. See you April 15th, Eloy.

He clearly wants to be in Chicago, like Abreu. That 7th year isn't worth having him unhappy he wasn't promoted like Kopech. Theo will use this to his advantage when those 7 years are up. I'd take my chances that he will re-sign with us if our front office builds a legit team and pays him top dollar. If we have no intention of re-signing him then I can see where that extra year would be crucial.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can't remember how good of a fielder Longoria was back when he signed his extension or how high his injury risk was. Being a corner OF or even a future 1st baseman and his injury history I'm not sure I'd be putting Jimenez in Longoria's class. But its probably the closest you can get except for Kingery who is also an infielder.

Longoria was an excellent defender and athlete when he arrived. 

Maybe they've been worried about Eloy thwarting their plan to tank, for the Draft. Now that Abreu is out, perhaps they can let Eloy play, and still have hopes of losing. MLB really needs to fix this dilemma. Maybe they should add an age requirement, for free agency.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Longoria was an excellent defender and athlete when he arrived. 

If true then it supports my argument more that it would be much easier to offer an extension to a young great 2 way player than it would be to Eloy who only does 1 thing really well and thats hit. He isnt a great defender or runner. I love the kid and think he will be a great hitter but plugging the DH hole or 1st base when the Sox have a lot of defensive potential in other  OF prospects possibly doesn't warrant an extension to Eloy this early.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If true then it supports my argument more that it would be much easier to offer an extension to a young great 2 way player than it would be to Eloy who only does 1 thing really well and thats hit. He isnt a great defender or runner. I love the kid and think he will be a great hitter but plugging the DH hole or 1st base when the Sox have a lot of defensive potential in other  OF prospects possibly doesn't warrant an extension to Eloy this early.

Flip side is wouldn't it be easier for you to accept if you are Eloy?

Just now, bmags said:

Flip side is wouldn't it be easier for you to accept if you are Eloy?

Oh yes it would but when you have agents who want the big commission  they probably downplay the downside to a hitter like Eloy and tell him you have to believe in yourself and it takes a strong minded individual to weigh the good against the bad . To a young kid who believes in himself he might not be looking at how his defense will hurt him or his chance of injury when all around him are telling him how great he is.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That's awesome. I was in front of the bullpen for Rodon's first appearance. He was all over the place and then proceeded to have a terrible inning. Very anti-climactic compared to Kopechs :)

I was at Rodon's debut as well. Extremely anti-climatic as he came out of the bullpen and started walking everyone. I think Sox Killer Ryan Raburn had like 5 RBIs that game. 

Rodon and Kopech will hopefully turn into a nasty one-two punch at the top of the Sox rotation!