Moncada hopes to stay at 2b

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Also because the organization has tabbed him as a top of the order hitter. 

Have they?  I assumed they were batting him lead-off to maximize the amount of at-bats he would get in a rebuilding year. Then when they have an idea of what kind of hitter he is, they will slot him in the proper spot.

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Have they?  I assumed they were batting him lead-off to maximize the amount of at-bats he would get in a rebuilding year. Then when they have an idea of what kind of hitter he is, they will slot him in the proper spot.

He spent 45 games hitting 5-9 and 100 game batting 1 or 2. 

I think Moncada can be rationalized to hit anywhere in the lineup except 3/4 at this point. Probably depends on who they acquire. 

14 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree as well.

From an entertainment standpoint, MLB has a big problem with too many Ks.

From a White Sox standpoint, this offense has too many Ks, I believe leading the league.

From a Moncada standpoint, his game has too many Ks, I believe leading the league. Too bad no one could have seen that coming, and maybe brought him along slower, right? [/green]

You sound like Rick Hahn with all your standpoints

I hate the idea of Yoan at 3rd. His best attribute at 2nd was his range up the middle.  I don’t think his hands are soft enough to play 3rd.  Also, I haven’t looked at the league stats but wouldn’t this make his offensive skills far less special when compared to other 3B?

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I hate the idea of Yoan at 3rd. His best attribute at 2nd was his range up the middle.  I don’t think his hands are soft enough to play 3rd.  Also, I haven’t looked at the league stats but wouldn’t this make his offensive skills far less special when compared to other 3B?

The average OPS at 2b across MLB last year was .712. The average OPS at 3b last year was .763. If he turns into a 40 HR hitting powerhouse and Madrigal comes up and is a great hitter we won't care, but yeah it's easier to find solid production at 3b (Davidson?) than it is to find one at 2b.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Fathom is one, smart fan. He is correct again.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just for the whale seekers, if he moves to 3rd, that means no Machado or Arenado.

First you wouldn't move him to 3rd until machado would sign anyways if the Sox have a chance at machado. Plus you don't even know if arenado will be a free agent. Also unless there is someone ready to take over 2nd to replace him why move him

18 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

First you wouldn't move him to 3rd until machado would sign anyways if the Sox have a chance at machado. Plus you don't even know if arenado will be a free agent. Also unless there is someone ready to take over 2nd to replace him why move him

Because they want to pave the way for Madrigal in a year 

1 minute ago, aeichhor said:

There's no guarantee that Madrigal will be up in a year. Alot has to go right. When was the last time a top pick position player for the Sox made it up before 2yrs. 

If they move Yoan to 3rd, I can guarantee it’s because they think he’ll be ready sooner than later.

58 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

That's a big if at this point 

There’s a pretty good track record of polished college bats reaching the majors during their first full season.  If Madrigal’s hit tool / bat control is as good as we think it is, I fully expect him to be ready by opening day 2020.

Edited by Chicago White Sox