Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Did anyone really think Hahn was going to say that Jay was signed to get Machado?  Or that Jay would say that he was signed to help recruit?  No one can be surprised by what was said.  And no one should be surprised that it's being reported that the Yankees are "not out of it."  So, essentially nothing has changed.  Looks like another day of refreshing, refreshing, refreshing and getting no new news.

13 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Kind of going out on a limb a little with this logic, but does anyone think some of this process is intended to create a little buzz for baseball in the dead of winter?  The NBA really milks free agency to help bridge the off-season gap.  We've got Free Agent tours, billboard campaigns, TV shows to announce decisions, letters written to fans, the back and forth drama, it's turned into reality TV.  But you know...that first "LeBron watch"--when he choose to go back to Cleveland, really took the pro-sport spotlight away from baseball and kept the fan engaged and thinking about basketball over the summer.  Just wonder if MLB is maybe taking a page from that same book by encouraging the process to drag on long enough to create a little drama to draw people in.  

Maybe, but that’s a dangerous game to play. Imagine how pissed fans are going to be when their team doesn’t land the coveted free agent. 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would argue MLB has been way less focused than they should be on the entertainment factor of their offseason and general scheduling.

They have the Winter Meetings now and that's pretty much it.  The whole "free agent tour" concept is starting to creep in though.  NBA is big on it but I don't know of a ton of MLB FA tours that have taken place say previous to the last couple of years.  Personally, I think this is a fancy name thrown out to an event formerly known as a "meeting."  

Personally, I hope they find a more classy way of doing it than the NBA--which has become a huge self-promotion fest that only fuels the perception of a player's arrogance and love for ego stroking.  

Just now, chetkincaid said:

Maybe, but that’s a dangerous game to play. Imagine how pissed fans are going to be when their team doesn’t land the coveted free agent. 

See Cavaliers fans/“betrayal” letter from Gilbert the first time LeBron left...although Nats’ fans are already conditioned to Harper probably leaving.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would argue MLB has been way less focused than they should be on the entertainment factor of their offseason and general scheduling.

In regards to my White Sox and the drama of this free agent signing, I look at this more as torture than entertainment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saufley said:

In regards to my White Sox and the drama of this free agent signing, I look at this more as torture than entertainment. 

Totally!  It's brutal!  But remember...the marketing target is always the casual fan.  Does it draw in people that normally wouldn't be interested?  Do more people think about baseball in the winter than without the drama?  I really don't like it either, and I am not ready to say that it's an organized agenda coming down from MLB as much as it is the players trying to take advantage of the publicity.  But I think MLB is somewhat OK with it because it gets people's attention on baseball-related content--and builds excitement for the new season.  

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

Totally!  It's brutal!  But remember...the marketing target is always the casual fan.  Does it draw in people that normally wouldn't be interested?  Do more people think about baseball in the winter than without the drama?  I really don't like it either, and I am not ready to say that it's an organized agenda coming down from MLB as much as it is the players trying to take advantage of the publicity.  But I think MLB is somewhat OK with it because it gets people's attention on baseball-related content--and builds excitement for the new season.  

I think that the slow drip of rumors is far less catching to the casual fan than a big surge of signings that they can all follow at once. Get 5 or 6 deals done at the winter meetings, you get a major slot on ESPN that day, you get people tuning into MLB network, you get big press conferences the next day, you take over a week of time.

What do you think has more attention in Chicago right now - the slow drip of twitter rumors or Cody Parkey?

6 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Watching the end of Gravity. As Sandra Bullock just said "either going to survive in one piece with a great story or burn up, either way it's been one helluva ride."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Watching the end of Gravity. As Sandra Bullock just said "either going to survive in one piece with a great story or burn up, either way it's been one helluva ride."

or as Robert Duvall said in Lonesome Dove, "it's been quite a party ain't it"?

Edited by Saufley

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres