Who is your top 2019-20 free agent target

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are we going to rock a $70M payroll then?  Because with those guys, Tim, Moncada, Madrigal, etc. that doesn’t leave a ton of positions to spend money on.

They've already committed to Eloy, and he's a long-term DH. They're 6 deep in legit OF prospects. Plus Basabe and Adolfo(forgot about him) have one option left after this season. They're going to be up sooner rather than later 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They've already committed to Eloy, and he's a long-term DH. They're 6 deep in OF prospects. Plus Basabe and Adolfo(forgot about him) have one option left after this season. They're going to be up sooner rather than later. 

That’s fine but then we’ll likely have a sub $70M payroll.

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy is going to DH, and the OF will be 3 of Robert/Gonzalez/Rutherford/Basabe

Not all of the outfield prospects are going to pan out. Relying on all of them to hit and be productive mlb players is a fools errand. I suspect some of the outfield prospects will be dealt for pitching. I also see the Sox going hard for a guy like Puig on a 3-4 year deal this offseason. 

• Haha 1

Sox should really explore the prices of comp picks from the low revenue teams, there may be some value in acquiring those and getting the discount on the free agents with picks attached to them (without losing the draft flexibility).

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Sox should really explore the prices of comp picks from the low revenue teams, there may be some value in acquiring those and getting the discount on the free agents with picks attached to them (without losing the draft flexibility).

I can't quite tell what you're saying here so forgive me - does this mean that the White Sox should trade for a comp round pick and then if they signed a free agent with a QO, the comp pick is the one they'd lose for the signing? 

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I can't quite tell what you're saying here so forgive me - does this mean that the White Sox should trade for a comp round pick and then if they signed a free agent with a QO, the comp pick is the one they'd lose for the signing? 

Not necessarily the same pick, I think the league just phrases it as "2nd best" or "3rd best".

The question is if the market for comp balance picks is "correct yet", and whether the total cost of QO free agent + assets required in trade (money and/or prospects) is greater or less than how they value the free agent market without QOs attached.

There is a possibility the comp balance picks are overvalued and it would not make sense. But if they are undervalued, and the cost of losing a draft pick causes the QO free agent to be undervalued in years and dollars, there is a combination there that makes it interesting.

edit: the fantasy part of this is expecting the sox to create an accurate value system.

Just now, bmags said:

Not necessarily the same pick, I think the league just phrases it as "2nd best" or "3rd best".

The question is if the market for comp balance picks is "correct yet", and whether the total cost of QO free agent + assets required in trade (money and/or prospects) is greater or less than how they value the free agent market without QOs attached.

There is a possibility the comp balance picks are overvalued and it would not make sense. But if they are undervalued, and the cost of losing a draft pick causes the QO free agent to be undervalued in years and dollars, there is a combination there that makes it interesting.

Given that guys like Keuchel and Kimbrel have gone unsigned and it might only cost a 2nd round pick, if I had to guess, I'd say teams are over-valuing those picks rather than undervaluing them, but would be open to examples to counter that. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Given that guys like Keuchel and Kimbrel have gone unsigned and it might only cost a 2nd round pick, if I had to guess, I'd say teams are over-valuing those picks rather than undervaluing them, but would be open to examples to counter that. 

The comp balance market is created by a different set of teams.