La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

"Hello, Representative? I think we should make driving while intoxicated illegal!"

Or you could call them to lower the legal limit to 0.05 as Utah has done. You could call on them to enact harsher penalties and zero tolerence measures.

Instead you'd rather call up the whitesox and get them to fire TLR because hey "dui sentences are too lenient" because that makes much more sense. Come on you are too smart for this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Or you could call them to lower the legal limit to 0.05 as Utah has done. You could call on them to enact harsher penalties and zero tolerence measures.

Instead you'd rather call up the whitesox and get them to fire TLR because hey "dui sentences are too lenient" because that makes much more sense. Come on you are too smart for this.

.05 is like 2 IPAs.. pass..

22 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

What?

25 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

What he did was already illegal?

And gonna spitball this, maybe people feel there is a difference between "I want Tony Larussa to go to jail for a long time" and "I don't think the white sox should employ someone who has broken an important law more than once to one of the most sought after, public,  and replaceable positions in their organization"

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I don't think you read my post right. I was responding to the we don't like his politics comment. That has nothing to do with this. The DUI needs to be taken seriously, as it indicates a major leadership flaw

Yep but they already knew about the DUI before hiring him. They will probably get him treatment for his usage to ensure he can manage this team successfully and so that he avoids criminal punishment. DUIs are very serious and if he was hired knowing this was in play, he ain't going anywhere. 

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hiring 76 year old Tony La Russa coming off his 2nd DUI and against the wishes of his front office was an irrational decision.  You think 84 year old Jerry Reinsdorf is suddenly going to be rational and fire his best friend to protect the little guy in the organization?  Look, you guys can do whatever you want and I know the intentions are pure, but you would 100% be playing a role in the loss of those jobs.  Perhaps it’s ultimately for the greater good, but you can’t act like your actions are in a vacuum and free from ancillary impacts.

I just can't get on board with this line of thinking. Jerry has denigrated his fane base for 40 years. That's why the Sox have perpetually low attendance. The numbers of employees is lower than it should be, and incentive based jobs like ticket sales are lower producing than they could be, because of his actions.

Not putting pressure on him because it may hurt a weaker than it should be sales office is akin to giving up. The pressure people are talking about may end up in what, season ticket losses in the hundreds? How many job losses do you anticipate that will result in? 

If Jerry gave a shit about his fans and average attendance went from 20k to 30k, what would that do for areas like the ticket sales office? How many more advertisers would want to join if they were a more successful team with a packed park? If you care so much about those people, you should care more about what Jerry is doing and pressure him to change. Accepting the status quo is doing more harm than good for the people you think you are protecting.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

What he did was already illegal?

And gonna spitball this, maybe people feel there is a difference between "I want Tony Larussa to go to jail for a long time" and "I don't think the white sox should employ someone who has broken an important law more than once to one of the most sought after, public,  and replaceable positions in their organization"

Except that is not what the other mod said.

If that is how you feel that is fine but the only way that works is if the policy is applied organization wide and that isn't something that happens just with TLR being fired. I'd also point out that TLR has yet to be convicted or plead guilty to the charge. I have worked at organizations that have had a zero tolerance policy in this regard (not a problem for me because I don't DUI) and it was clear what the consequences would be and it applied to everyone there.

TLR was upfront with the White Sox. He didn't hide anything. The White Sox had the option not to hire him but they did so anyways so to me it would be patently unfair to fire him when he was honest and upfront with them. It would also probably be quite costly for the owner because they would have to payout his entire contract.

It's also possible to enact the policy after hiring TLR so if you feel it has been an oversight in the past and it isn't about just getting TLR fired that would be a good avenue to pursue if the issue was actually important to you.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Driving while drunk is already a crime, and in Arizona it's a crime enough so that La Russa could easily spend a day in jail. I believe the thought process in making the laws more damning - as they did in Arizona - is that it will cause ramifications in ones life that would cause them to think twice before doing such an act. It's not Arizona, or any other states fault, that those ramifications didn't take place in this situation because Jerry Reinsdorf didn't give a shit. So fans are doing exactly what they should do if they feel strongly about it; they're speaking with their wallets, which in this broken greed-centric capitalistic society we have been forced to participate in is the only power a consumer has.

People citing that "innocent" people could lose their jobs and etc is complete nonsense. The Sox print money - as do all professional sports teams - and if they chose to fire employees because fans were pissed that they gave power to a Morris Buttermaker and boycotted their decision, that is 100% the fault of management and ownership who neglected what their supporters felt was right, and chose an immoral stance over the moral one. Blaming someone who is standing on principal over the person who is standing by cronyism is complete nonsense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can I ask why id call my local government representative to complain about a team I follow hiring  a drunk who loves to drive impaired? 

No idea how this thread has devolved to this point, but thats a weird turn. 

Does he love to drive impaired? He one known DUI and another ALLEGED DUI in 76 years on this earth.

And you are free to do whatever you want just don't pretend it's some sort of super important issue to you and this is anything other then an excuse to try and get TLR fired because you never wanted him hired in the first place.

Edited by wrathofhahn

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Complain. Keep the media campaign alive. Burn jerseys. 

But really how about demanding tougher DUI laws? How about doing something to stop DUIs instead of just trying to get a manager you like? Require Breathalyzers for people convicted of DUI. How about all this anger doing something to really benefit society? 

Making certain that after two convictions he never drives again. Imagine actually doing something for society. 

The collateral damage argument seemed to suggest that the fans do nothing.  That’s what I am pushing back against.  Big picture, I actually agree with your points and the actions you suggest, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t also be voicing our displeasure to the organization itself. 

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Most people would feel nothing after 2 beers.  .05 is that.. 

Most people drink and drive because they FEEL fine and think they are capable of doing something as simple as driving and it's an inconvenience to leave your car behind while you call Uber or a cab. It's not about how you FEEL it's about what the law considers to be driving while impaired or driving under the influence.

The argument that .05 is too low and you'd like to be able to drink more before you get behind the wheel is quite possibly the dumbest thing I ever heard.

So what will the team do if revenue drops?

The team president will take a pay cut? The team will spend less on acquiring free agents and resigning players? 

The team rarely turns a profit. The owners have made money on the value of the franchise. 

4 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

The collateral damage argument seemed to suggest that the fans do nothing.  That’s what I am pushing back against.  Big picture, I actually agree with your points and the actions you suggest, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t also be voicing our displeasure to the organization itself. 

Actually the opposite. I want fans to complain. I also would love a million letters to the prosecutor to make sure they know the world is watching and wants justice served. 

I just don't want to sacrifice working men and women in the process.

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Actually the opposite. I want fans to complain. I also would love a million letters to the prosecutor to make sure they know the world is watching and wants justice served. 

I just don't want to sacrifice working men and women in the process.

I can't believe this is still happening.  Take it a step further.  Would you buy cotton from slavers?  Think of the poor slaves who might get beaten if the cotton doesn't get sold?  Would you buy your wife a blood diamond?  Think of all of the awful Africans who would lose their livelihoods?  Do you search out products made by child labor?  Think of all of hte kids supporting elderly parents in China with their dollar a day jobs in sweatshops?  How about your drugs?  Do you support the drug kingpins who keep your local dealers alive by keeping their supply up to date so they can feed their kids?

Extreme?  Illegal?  Immoral? Sure but all are supporting families who really need the money. By punishing those illegal activities, you are hurting families who really need the money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So what will the team do if revenue drops?

The team president will take a pay cut? The team will spend less on acquiring free agents and resigning players? 

The team rarely turns a profit. The owners have made money on the value of the franchise. 

The revenue won't drop. TLR is a big name that will draw attention and ratings outside of Chicago. We will bring in enough talent that will make us a top 5 team in baseball and media darlings. We will play a good chunk of games on prime time networks. Fans won't be allowed in the ballpark until around June or July and they will be desperate to get back after missing a year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Does he love to drive impaired? He one known DUI and another ALLEGED DUI in 76 years on this earth.

And you are free to do whatever you want just don't pretend it's some sort of super important issue to you and this is anything other then an excuse to try and get TLR fired because you never wanted him hired in the first place.

What does this mean? He submitted to a blood test via a warrant 3.5 hours after his DUI stop and he was still over the legal limit.

Who are you to tell anyone how important an issue is to them; especially an issue causing 10,000 unnecessary deaths a year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't believe this is still happening.  Take it a step further.  Would you buy cotton from slavers?  Think of the poor slaves who might get beaten if the cotton doesn't get sold?  Would you guy your wife a blood diamond?  Think of all of the awful Africans who would lose their livelihoods?  Do you search out products made by child labor?  Think of all of hte kids supporting elderly parents in China with their dollar a day jobs in sweatshops?  How about your drugs?  Do you support the drug kingpins who keep your local dealers alive by keeping their supply up to date so they can feed their kids?

Extreme?  Illegal?  Immoral? Sure but all are supporting families who really need the money. By punishing those illegal activities, you are hurting families who really need the money.

Take it a step further? This is a discussion about how to punish someone for a wrongdoing. 

I believe enslaving people was a much greater issue to society than how to punish someone for a DUI. 

There is a punishment system in our country. I want him fully punished to the extent if the law. I am not willing to fight a civil war and have millions die because he had a DUI. But I would be to end slavery. I am actually outraged you could even put slavery and DUI on the same level. 

Edit to add:

Now that I understand the point that SS2k5 was making I would like to add his point is valid in that there are situations where workers are being exploited and it is bad the support those businesses. Economic pressure does make sense and I would support protests in those situations.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Take it a step further? This is a discussion about how to punish someone for a wrongdoing. 

I believe enslaving people was a much greater issue to society than how to punish someone for a DUI. 

There is a punishment system in our country. I want him fully punished to the extent if the law. I am not willing to fight a civil war and have millions die because he had a DUI. But I would be to end slavery. I am actually outraged you could even put slavery and DUI on the same level. 

I literally said TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER.  The point is people ARE willing to make economic decisions that will hurt people, for pure reasons.  This is a normal and common activity, and there is nothing wrong with it.  False equating the burden being on people making the decisions, instead of people who are supporting illegal and immoral activities through their employments is the full issue here.

• Like 2