That’s a Chicago Yermins Win!!!!

ShoeLessRob

The guys who heckled Kopech sound like real a-holes.  I hope the Sox ban them from the park for life.  Quick question: why the hell was Kopech warming up in the 9th?  Was TLR planning to give him a garbage inning if the Sox scored more runs in the 8th after letting Marshall piss away a huge lead?  That’s moronic.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/fernando-tatis-jr-prospect-who-got-away-white-sox-fans-read-your-own-risk

Orel Hersisher repeated this story last night of how he was so upset after the entire family had just purchased loads of White Sox gear that Tatis had to spend 2-3 days away from the sport because he was so hurt, crying endlessly because he couldn’t understand why the White Sox didn’t want him.  And how much that rejection drove him to be an even better player (maybe Rodon experienced a similar thing?)

Obviously, they still encouraged Elijah to sign because of the relationship established between Senior and Paddy.

But between that White Sox future denied and almost signing Machado twice, it pretty much convinced me to start rooting for them as my NL team...and comparing the two front offices, spending, will to win, Latin American ops, etc.

They are only two games above .500 due to getting run over by the Pirates and Brewers, but the fact they’re in this position (beating the Dodgers’ top three starters 3/5, who are still outspending them by $80 million) without a healthy Pham (100+ stitches, nearly died), Tatis, Nola (starting catcher), Morejon, Clevinger, Lamet, Baez, etc., is so unlikely.  And that Weathers, Abrams and Gore could be even better.  It’s fun because LA is as much a dynasty as any team since the Braves or Yankees/Red Sox, David vs. Goliath, it’s the only way the sport can survive is for the small and mid-market teams to be competitive.

It's nice to see an organization do pretty much everything well, especially one you didn't previously hate.  I hate the Dodgers, Red Sox, and hate a lot of Yankees fans even though I don't hate the Yankees, so when those organizations pretty much do everything well I am not really happy about.  But the Padres are an easy team to root for, and more than that, it's very easy to root for the example they have been setting (obviously aside from the medical records scandal).  If the Padres can do this then why can't any other team?  It's nice to see a supposed small market team make the kinds of moves that according to some, the team isn't big enough to make.  It puts pressure on other organizations, or at least it should.  Of course an owner like ours will never feel that pressure.  Just in our own division, the Tigers ownership spent well over a decade operating in a way that should have been absolutely embarrassing to and for our Sox, but the dorf never felt a hint of that pressure.  You would have to have a conscious and a soul to have that prerequisite sense of moral obligation.  But at least he will be dead soon.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It's nice to see an organization do pretty much everything well, especially one you didn't previously hate.  I hate the Dodgers, Red Sox, and hate a lot of Yankees fans even though I don't hate the Yankees, so when those organizations pretty much do everything well I am not really happy about.  But the Padres are an easy team to root for, and more than that, it's very easy to root for the example they have been setting (obviously aside from the medical records scandal).  If the Padres can do this then why can't any other team?  It's nice to see a supposed small market team make the kinds of moves that according to some, the team isn't big enough to make.  It puts pressure on other organizations, or at least it should.  Of course an owner like ours will never feel that pressure.  Just in our own division, the Tigers ownership spent well over a decade operating in a way that should have been absolutely embarrassing to and for our Sox, but the dorf never felt a hint of that pressure.  You would have to have a conscious and a soul to have that prerequisite sense of moral obligation.  But at least he will be dead soon.

That’s all we can do.

We’re never going to be a $200+ million payroll franchise, it is what it is.  The Dodgers right now are at $250 million, almost.

All we can do is enjoy successes (KC in 2014-15, Indians almost beating the Cubs in 2016), Brewers, Rays, Twins and A’s recently.

The Marlins seem to be progressing, and the Mariners have a bright future with all their outfielders.

The franchises to worry about are really Detroit, Cincinnati (not so critical), Pittsburgh, Oakland and TB due to ongoing stadium issues (certainly strong front offices), the Rockies (have always had solid attendance) and maybe the DBacks.

Pitt, Oakland, TB and Miami stand out the most.  Pittsburgh and Colorado really seem lost in the woods.

Obviously, the A’s are second in MLB record-wise, but the issues have been present for twenty years with the Giants, San Jose, stadium relocation.

9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Our scouts never got the chance to see Tatis play and the team traded him without even having made a proper evaluation.  Then with Yermin they all got to see tons of him but apparently they didn't think he was any better than the likes of Palka Reed Delmonico etc. 

I actually don't know which scenario is worse.  Both are pretty harsh indictments of the org.

This honestly has to be the worst take on soxtalk by far, that I hear repeated often. 

Yermim mercedes was let go from two teams. Any team in baseball could have had him multiple times. The sox were the team that picked him up AND the only team to give him a chance and that's an indictment on the organization. Brilliant take!

36 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

No one here gives a fuck about the padres. Jfc, why don't you and caufield go find a padres forum to babble on about. My goodness. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This honestly has to be the worst take on soxtalk by far, that I hear repeated often. 

Yermim mercedes was let go from two teams. Any team in baseball could have had him multiple times. The sox were the team that picked him up AND the only team to give him a chance and that's an indictment on the organization. Brilliant take!

The fact is he was wasting away in the minors the past few seasons while had an open spot at DH. He was not raking in the upper minors prior to getting into the Sox system. Any other team in the White Sox situation would have given him a chance much earlier than the White Sox did.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

The fact is he was wasting away in the minors the past few seasons while had an open spot at DH. He was not raking in the upper minors prior to getting into the Sox system. Any other team in the White Sox situation would have given him a chance much earlier than the White Sox did.

The Sox were concerned about 40 man roster spots and didn’t want to add Yermin until they absolutely needed to.  In hindsight it was clearly the wrong call.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd have to agree.

32 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

“I know the team needs me at that point to find a way for Yermin to do something good”

Yermin knows Yermin is good

Once you start referring to yourself in third person, you have ascended to god like status. 

36 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

The guy had 95 MiLB games where he was "raking" as an old for his league player. Yermin Mercedes got a chance from the Sox when no other teams were giving him one. If you think that's an indictment on the White Sox organization IDK what to tell you.

4 hours ago, wegner said:

Damn...run on the field...meet a wall, hard!!

C'mon White Sox Dave. That's pathetic Pandering to the fanbase. The guy should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. We are still in a pandemic. Here is this guy violating security and running around on  the field without a mask. Maybe he's a bio-terrorist who the fuck knows.

They should start putting up signs that say if you enter the field of play you will be tased and treated as a threat to national security and prosecuted to the full extent of the law and make that announcement before games also.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The guys who heckled Kopech sound like real a-holes.  I hope the Sox ban them from the park for life.  Quick question: why the hell was Kopech warming up in the 9th?  Was TLR planning to give him a garbage inning if the Sox scored more runs in the 8th after letting Marshall piss away a huge lead?  That’s moronic.

Makes no sense if they were Sox fans. If so, wow, the power of booze. And yes they should be banned to the upper deck if they want to see any more games). That said, nice win. I didn't watch the first few innings. I assume the home plate ump was lousy again with the strike zone for Cease.

Just enjoy Yermin as long as this lasts as Stoney said, at least that's my suggestion. He's been a delight.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd have to agree.

The argument seems to be more about not giving him any opportunities the last couple of seasons, rather the acquisition itself.  Especially bringing in a washed-up Encarnacion on a not so cheap deal. Then, stubbornly holding onto him instead of giving others a chance, like Mercedes or Collins.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The argument seems to be more about not giving him any opportunities the last couple of seasons, rather the acquisition itself.  Especially bringing in a washed-up Encarnacion on a not so cheap deal. Then, stubbornly holding onto him instead of giving others a chance, like Mercedes or Collins.

That part I can also agree with since I made many posts on the subject but I also made a post that said I understand the EE signing though I didn't personally support it. I wanted Collins and Mercedes to get an opportunity but once EE was signed that was the end of that. Now I am just grateful that fate stepped in and gave him an opportunity when I was resigned to the thought that he was not going to get one with the Sox.