2021 NFL Season Thread

So what HC jobs are still open?  Dolphins, Saints, & Texans?  Pretty nuts that six roles have already been filled and not one has been black.  At a bare minimum, Leftwich should get a job somewhere with all the offensive oriented hirings, but don’t believe he’s connected to any of the remaining roles.  Flores is technically one of three finalists for the Texans job, but it would be a shocker if he got that job after the lawsuit.  Sounds like Bieniemy will get an interview with the Saints, but who knows whether his past issues will be held against him.  Honestly, McDaniel to the Dolphins (if it happens) might be the only diversity we get amongst the HC hires this offseason despite 28% of the total jobs being open.  The NFL really not doing themselves any favors with that lawsuit…lol.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So what HC jobs are still open?  Dolphins, Saints, & Texans?  Pretty nuts that six roles have already been filled and not one has been black.  At a bare minimum, Leftwich should get a job somewhere with all the offensive oriented hirings, but don’t believe he’s connected to any of the remaining roles.  Flores is technically one of three finalists for the Texans job, but it would be a shocker if he got that job after the lawsuit.  Sounds like Bieniemy will get an interview with the Saints, but who knows whether his past issues will be held against him.  Honestly, McDaniel to the Dolphins (if it happens) might be the only diversity we get amongst the HC hires this offseason despite 28% of the total jobs being open.  The NFL really not doing themselves any favors with that lawsuit…lol.

If anyone other than Josh McCown gets the Texans job I will be shocked.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If there wasn’t so much controversy surrounding Flores, he might have a good chance of getting hired by the Saints. I would hope the past charges against Bienemy would be viewed on an individual basis, that he would address them in interviews and Reid would vouch for him, but who knows. Leftwich or Bowles should have HC jobs although Bowles may get Arians’ job if he were to retire.

• Like 1

If I was an nfl owner smitten with my New England - hailing front office that has convinced me to fire my coach after one year do I start to get at all cynical with them when the long time prime NE coaching target goes to another team with his own hand picked vet and we are still trying to hire Robin Ventura as a head coach?

One reason why I'll always end up on optimist side when change happens that it could work out is you'd be hard pressed to have a stupider coach search than jacksonville had trying to have Trent the Back Stabber Baalke recruit coaches only to have even rookie coaches spit at his hand

And yet they may end up with Rick Spielman and Doug Pederson and it is completely feasible that would work?

3 hours ago, bmags said:

If I was an nfl owner smitten with my New England - hailing front office that has convinced me to fire my coach after one year do I start to get at all cynical with them when the long time prime NE coaching target goes to another team with his own hand picked vet and we are still trying to hire Robin Ventura as a head coach?

I eventually figured out every part of this except who the hand picked vet refers to.

Soooo things are pretty slow right now, so I thought I'd put together a fun little game. Let's pretend the Bears have 50 million in cap space and this is how the cap numbers for each player are.....How are you spending it? 

You can also add in whoever else at $5 dollars a pop. (I didn't wanna stretch this out and put in guys like Von Miller because I assume we are set at DE)

$50-

WR Davonte Adams

$40

OT Terron Armstead

WR Chris Goodwin

CB J.C. Jackson

S Marcus Williams

$30

LT Orlando Brown Jr.

WR Allen Robinson, Odell, Christian Kirk

CB Carlton Davis

DT Akeem Hicks

C Brian Allen

$20

WR Mike Williams, Michael Gallop

CB Stephon Gillmore

LT Cam Robinson

C Bradley Bozeman

DT Sheldon Richardson

$10

LT Eric Fisher

WR Sammy Watkins

CB Kyle Fuller

C Ryan Jenson/Ben Jones

NOW....After you're done, let's see your 2nd and 3rd round picks. Let's assume it shakes out like this mock here...  https://www.draftcountdown.com/2022-nfl-draft/2022-7-round-nfl-mock-draft-7-0-round-1-3-shane/

Feel free to go further than the 3rd round if you're feeling froggy. 

I'll be posting mine after I give it more thought. 

Edited by scs787

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

Soooo things are pretty slow right now, so I thought I'd put together a fun little game. Let's pretend the Bears have 50 million in cap space and this is how the cap numbers for each player are.....How are you spending it? 

You can also add in whoever else at $5 dollars a pop. (I didn't wanna stretch this out and put in guys like Von Miller because I assume we are set at DE)

$50-

WR Davonte Adams

$40

OT Terron Armstead

WR Chris Goodwin

CB J.C. Jackson

S Marcus Williams

$30

LT Orlando Brown Jr.

WR Allen Robinson, Odell, Christian Kirk

CB Carlton Davis

DT Akeem Hicks

C Brian Allen

$20

WR Mike Williams, Michael Gallop

CB Stephon Gillmore

LT Cam Robinson

C Bradley Bozeman

DT Sheldon Richardson

$10

LT Eric Fisher

WR Sammy Watkins

CB Kyle Fuller

C Ryan Jenson/Ben Jones

NOW....After you're done, let's see your 2nd and 3rd round picks. Let's assume it shakes out like this mock here...  https://www.draftcountdown.com/2022-nfl-draft/2022-7-round-nfl-mock-draft-7-0-round-1-3-shane/

Feel free to go further than the 3rd round if you're feeling froggy. 

I'll be posting mine after I give it more thought. 

I think I’d do Cam Robinson, Ben Jones and Gallup. And then in draft Joshua Jobe and Jalen Tolbert is fine, I am still catching up on this class.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think I’d do Cam Robinson, Ben Jones and Gallup. And then in draft Joshua Jobe and Jalen Tolbert is fine, I am still catching up on this class.

Not sure about his health status, but Gallup is going to be the best mix of upside and value when it comes to WRs in free agency.  I fucking love that idea.  Draft another WR in the 2nd / 3rd round and sign a couple offensive lineman in free agency like you suggested and Fields might have the pieces needed to take a big leap forward next year.

I only want the bears to draft/sign linemen forever.   

Win the offensive trenches: every WR looks like Davonte Adams and RBs are AP. 

Win the defensive trenches: all your DBs are Deion Sanders and LBs are Urlacher. 

Edited by Jerksticks

Bears missed badly on ST coach. Hiring Niners coach who was probably getting canned. He had been there 5 years with units mediocre to bad in every season. 

This is a bad miss by Eberflus. They had a top 10 guy in Tabor who they let go because they wanted the Raiders interim HC or Giants guy and ended up waiting for their top guy (Raiders) who got more money from Pack. 

Fail on all degrees. Packs out paid for the guy you passed on 2 other good candidates for and ended up panicking with one of the worst ST coaches in the league. Great. 

Note: I had a similar reaction when Gould got dropped and Barth was who they ultimately picked up. This is like that. Fine if you wanted to move on from Tabor but in my Mando voice: “this is NOT the way”.

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bears missed badly on ST coach. Hiring Niners coach who was probably getting canned. He had been there 5 years with units mediocre to bad in every season. 

This is a bad miss by Eberflus. They had a top 10 guy in Tabor who they let go because they wanted the Raiders interim HC or Giants guy and ended up waiting for their top guy (Raiders) who got more money from Pack. 

Fail on all degrees. Packs out paid for the guy you passed on 2 other good candidates for and ended up panicking with one of the worst ST coaches in the league. Great. 

Note: I had a similar reaction when Gould got dropped and Barth was who they ultimately picked up. This is like that. Fine if you wanted to move on from Tabor but in my Mando voice: “this is NOT the way”.

Meh, I’d be careful on being too certain. Tabors units also ranked mediocre to bad every year through Cleveland and the bears were paying premiums to add these pro bowl returners. Do we remember the bears punt returner situation before Gant was traded for?

But he was a good ST coach, but the bears often had not good ST units.

I don’t think Bisaccia is this king maker at ST, either.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Meh, I’d be careful on being too certain. Tabors units also ranked mediocre to bad every year through Cleveland and the bears were paying premiums to add these pro bowl returners. Do we remember the bears punt returner situation before Gant was traded for?

But he was a good ST coach, but the bears often had not good ST units.

I don’t think Bisaccia is this king maker at ST, either.

I don’t like the process more than anything here. And fact you lose out due to pay to your rival after you turned down other good candidates. Not a good look. It could be Niners invested little into their special teams but I don’t think that was the case. They had a lot of picks during that window and should have had appropriate depth for st. But maybe they never prioritizes having that stallwort player or two on that phase. 

I hope Eb and Poles have an understanding of the importance of special teams. I presume Poles did - given the Toub units always crushing it with the Chiefs.

Note: Bmags as good as grant was for Bears - that was still such a stupid trade by Pace. Giving up limited draft capital for a player who was going to be a free agent at end of the year for a team who clearly was nothing but a potential 7 seed (at best). Such an absolute stupid use of resources. 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t like the process more than anything here. And fact you lose out due to pay to your rival after you turned down other good candidates. Not a good look. It could be Niners invested little into their special teams but I don’t think that was the case. They had a lot of picks during that window and should have had appropriate depth for st. But maybe they never prioritizes having that stallwort player or two on that phase. 

I hope Eb and Poles have an understanding of the importance of special teams. I presume Poles did - given the Toub units always crushing it with the Chiefs.

Note: Bmags as good as grant was for Bears - that was still such a stupid trade by Pace. Giving up limited draft capital for a player who was going to be a free agent at end of the year for a team who clearly was nothing but a potential 7 seed (at best). Such an absolute stupid use of resources. 

If they didn’t trade for Grant, where would Tabors unit have ranked? 

With Eberflus preaching hustling and intensity in offense and defense, and with two good ST stalwarts now in Santos, O’Donnell, I think ST will be fine.d

And if it means he was able to save the Asst HC title for SFs let go TE coach or even Rod Marinelli, I think those two are better position coaches than Bisaccia is a ST coach.

53 minutes ago, bmags said:

But maybe I’m a little too influenced by SFs special teams just winning them a playoff game.

I just know what my best buddy who is a huge niner fan told me (and he is not a meatball fan). He said the st coach was bad and they consistently got pants, made bad mistakes etc during his tenor. 

On your other point - yes I would like those coaches you mention - and to me it is less about the Raiders guy and more we are getting a guy who was pretty down (vs other guys who are more respected that they could have got). I could care less that they didn’t get Rich - that stinks - but when you combine it with missing on other good guys and that hurts. I actually have no idea if the Raiders ST coach was actually any good at that role or not. 

Tabor wasn’t so bad even with Browns cause he had Toub vouching for him if I recall - which I think the world of Toub. 

Either way I like the other two hires you mention. I do not actually think those jobs are more important than the ST coach though. 

Eberflus has put together a nice staff. Hopefully it works. I was actually hoping that they would stick with a 3-4 d as I'm not a fan of the "cover who??" defense. I thought I'd never have to see that shit again when Lovie got whacked. 

Good QBs that make few mistakes shred the Cover 2 with 7 minute soul sucking TD drives. 

Edited by Jack Parkman