Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

And instead, they preferred a guy who would show some emotion and provide some energy?

I dont give a shit about "TWTW," "The Fire and The Passion," or anything a spring training clickbait piece says.

Harrison hasn't been good at baseball for a long time. Unless he gets on the cream and the clear, Father Time will take whatever ability he had sooner or later.

47 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing to do with keeping Cesar on this roster is defensible. He didn’t fit in. Wasnt the guy. Now that isn’t necessarily a defense of Harrison, but I’ll roll with the ball of energy and spark plug over the drone that is Cesar Hernandez. 

Again, spring training clickbait would have you believe that Lance Lynn and Jake Burger got their body fat % down to 7% in the offseason. I give zero shits about some preseason story calling Harrison "a ball of energy," if the Invincible Father Time is coming for his baseball abilities.

That said, to be fair to you, I re-read my post, which wasn't my best work; I failed to include that I'm entirely ageist against old pieces of shit. Especially old players that have never really been good. For me, I would never sign any FA that was > 33 years old, unless there were no other alternatives. 

We learned that old players tend to lose their abilities when this FO signed Encarnacion. We re-learned that last season with Adam Eaton and the decline of Dallas Keuchel. And, I believe that we will once again re-learn this with Josh Harrison.

As this pertains to Hernandez, yeah he sucks. But he's also not yet old enough to worry that he'll be DFA for being too fucking old to play. So when I posted that I'd gamble on him, I suppose I should have emphasized that Hernandez is, at least young enough where a bounceback wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

Regardless, arguing Hernandez v Harrison is like asking if you'd rather eat a turd with peanuts, or a turd with corn kernels in it. At the end of the day, they're both turds.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does Heyman paraphrase what the agents tell him or does he just let them write their own tweets on his account?

I thought everyone said during the CBA negotiations he was just a mouthpiece for the owners. 

If Reinsdorf would fire Hahn who would he hire? He usually doesn’t go outside the organization. If his son would be involved I might feel more comfortable with what Michael Reinsdorf did with Bulls. Wish we would start doing that with our player development department hiring from top organizations. 

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Harrison hasn't been good at baseball for a long time. Unless he gets on the cream and the clear, Father Time will take whatever ability he had sooner or later.

Put nearly all star numbers up first half of LAST season with Nationals.

Your hatred goggles cloud all your judgement and quite honestly you are laughable in 90% of your posts. Bold way to get rep points, but tip of the cap to you...

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yes those twitter accounts appear to be credible. Probably the reason why they don’t play in the top free agent market because they have a budget every year.

So basically, the ownership team is a partnership. Jerry’s money and the team are two separate entities. He can’t just pump money into the organization because it would dilute the other shareholders shares. 

What “Twitter sources” are you referring to?

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

If Reinsdorf would fire Hahn who would he hire? He usually doesn’t go outside the organization. If his son would be involved I might feel more comfortable with what Michael Reinsdorf did with Bulls. Wish we would start doing that with our player development department hiring from top organizations. 

It’s gotta be after he passes or if Hahn leaves on his own. Michael Reinsdorf probably wants nothing to do with the Sox 

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Probably the reason why they don’t play in the top free agent market because they have a budget every year.

I disagree.

This org doesn't play in the top free agent market because they mismanage their finances and allocation of resources.

Earlier upthread I reviewed the SOX resource utilization on RPs vs RF. Since The Nomar Mazara Era, this org has spent a total of $119.4MM or so on RP contracts.

Just by cutting spending on RPs, and finding a handful of league min contracts for RPs, this org could have signed Conforto or Bryant or Suzuki, full stop.

It ain't "cheapness," or "the budget." Its just that they're too fucking stupid to do this.

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree.

This org doesn't play in the top free agent market because they mismanage their finances and allocation of resources.

Earlier upthread I reviewed the SOX resource utilization on RPs vs RF. Since The Nomar Mazara Era, this org has spent a total of $119.4MM or so on RP contracts.

Just by cutting spending on RPs, and finding a handful of league min contracts for RPs, this org could have signed Conforto or Bryant or Suzuki, full stop.

It ain't "cheapness," or "the budget." Its just that they're too fucking stupid to do this.

And who’s issue is that? Hahn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Put nearly all star numbers up first half of LAST season with Nationals.

Your hatred goggles cloud all your judgement and quite honestly you are laughable in 90% of your posts. Bold way to get rep points, but tip of the cap to you...

Dude, the whole "hatred" thing is a canard. Its tired, and it does nothing to advance the discussion, in all honesty.

But, to your SSS point,

Harrison's 34 going on 35. Since the end of the steroid era, there aren't that many FAs that were that old when signed that performed well. Especially a replacement-level token who had a nice SSS run.

Hes not good, and he's not young. There really weren't any 2Bmen worth a damn that were realistic options.

But a 34 year old geezing geezer wasn't any kind of solution.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

How confident are those don't worry about offloading Kimbrel voices right now?

I guess it's going to be wait first for Jansen to sign or the Blue Jays, Phillies and Dodgers to start finalizing their pens...

Simply can't wait to see the conspiracy theory-laced reaction if Kimbrel is traded right after Conforto signs...and we're left without any everyday RFer.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yep. This is a Hahn problem, not a Jerry problem. 

I bet if the RF issue is still a problem after this season and he doesn’t address it at the deadline, we will see him re-assigned to a different position in the organization or he will leave.

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

@EloyvsWall

@nbb77

I’ll be honest, I really don’t think anyone has access to the Sox’s financial position.  And those few who do would quickly be outed by leaking this stuff on Twitter.  I remain optimistic that Michael Conforto will be a White Sox.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

EloyVsWall has spent all day telling anyone and everyone the Sox are out of money 

You can't get a dog on dollar dog Tuesdays when you only have 50 cents.  But it's worse than that because noone actually wants the dollar dog...you want to pay extra for the Kosher dog.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Dude, the whole "hatred" thing is a canard. Its tired, and it does nothing to advance the discussion, in all honesty.

But, to your SSS point,

Harrison's 34 going on 35. Since the end of the steroid era, there aren't that many FAs that were that old when signed that performed well. Especially a replacement-level token who had a nice SSS run.

Hes not good, and he's not young.

I agree he isnt good. But in this lineup he needs to be healthy, make good contact and try to keep the line moving for Tim. He should have no problem doing that and he is being paid 4 million (5.5) if they dont keep him to do that. Were you expecting the sox to sign Semien for 23 mil a year or taylor for 15 mil??? Those were the only options that were "good" in FA this year and everyone else is a warm body that you rely on your scouting department. Did you write 50+ posts about how bad Brian Goodwin was last year when they needed a warm body??

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

But, to your SSS point,

Hes not good, and he's not young. There really weren't any 2Bmen worth a damn that were realistic options.

But a 34 year old geezing geezer wasn't any kind of solution.

I watched all of Harrison’s homers today and all but one of them was a wall scraper.  

• Like 1