Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

The best part of this off-season (post CBA) was that I thought I was being conservative in thinking we're gonna sign Pederson to address RF. Because I didn't think they'd spend the money on Conforto. I know some others thought the same or thought they'd at least try to get Rosario or Soler. Nope, they did absolutely nothing to address RF. Not even a minor league signing unless you count Dwight Smith Jr. 

It’s been about as bad as even the most pessimistic posters could have predicted

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s been about as bad as even the most pessimistic posters could have predicted

If you would have told me in October that they'd sign Vince Velasquez to replace Rodon, sign a 35 year old version of Nick Madrigal at 2B, keep Kimbrel and also sign 2 other relievers for $40 million, I would have wanted Rick Hahn to be fired right then and there. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I need to do what one of my high school friends did…sent both his kids to the University of Alabama, and jumped on that bandwagon, lol.

Of course, 11 years from now Nick Saban will be long gone.

I mean, you can root for other teams (especially in the NL) and players here and there…but it’s simply impossible to change your favorite baseball team.   

If their ACT is over 32, tuition is free.

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

well if you believe rbh700 on Twitter has sources within the org, then the Sox aren’t high at all on Conforto and the trade market for starting pitching and is too expensive in terms of demand.   Sure seems like Hahn and company completely botched this offseason.

That dudes tweet rant about Conforto was something. Lol. I have no idea who he is or if he knows anything but that rant was enough to convince me he’s full of shit. Conforto not a proven player? Haha what?! Messing up the clubhouse? Comical takes. 

Hahn managed the offseason like a guy whose job is extremely secure.  Which is fine, but generally happens AFTER the front office has won a World Series or was just hired. 

He wasn't willing to make long term deals that risked 2026 in exchange for maximizing our chance in 2022.  

Front offices do this all the time, where they blow money but really try to keep it short term, it just usually gets spent on veteran starting pitching.  Hahn either didn't love the guys that were available or decided to try and moneyball the league on right handed relievers.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

That dudes tweet rant about Conforto was something. Lol. I have no idea who he is or if he knows anything but that rant was enough to convince me he’s full of shit. Conforto not a proven player? Haha what?! Messing up the clubhouse? Comical takes. 

I know he has the proven stats from before 2021, but I can totally see how last season’s red flags have scared the Sox off.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Even if they didn't want Rodon at $18, the idea that the "inefficient overpay" that would lead them to not want them at that price is funny when they pay $11mill to leury and harrison for production that absolutely should be able to be replaced with in-house talent.

But they can't because they get less draft picks than the non-comp bal teams, get less INTL budget, and so...back to point A it's really important you either spend yourself to an advantage or be wise and get the extra picks back when you can!

Analytics are helpful on the field, but they are super helpful in where to allocate time and money in your team building strategies and you can see how miserable hahn and co are at that year after year after year after year

I don't think the Rodon situation had anything to do with the money. It had everything to do with trusting him to be healthy for the entire season and the playoffs.

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Hahn managed the offseason like a guy whose job is extremely secure.  Which is fine, but generally happens AFTER the front office has won a World Series or was just hired. 

He wasn't willing to make long term deals that risked 2026 in exchange for maximizing our chance in 2022.  

Front offices do this all the time, where they blow money but really try to keep it short term, it just usually gets spent on veteran starting pitching.  Hahn either didn't love the guys that were available or decided to try and moneyball the league on right handed relievers.  

The organization as a whole acted like a team that will be sold in the next 2-3 seasons 

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Can't give deals if owner isn't approving it.  Especially with boras clients Jerry wants to be in the middle of it

48 minutes ago, fathom said:

well if you believe rbh700 on Twitter has sources within the org, then the Sox aren’t high at all on Conforto and the trade market for starting pitching and is too expensive in terms of demand.   Sure seems like Hahn and company completely botched this offseason.

fathom, how do you even find these people lol?

given the "influencers" that exist on WST, I pretty much just default that everyone there is pretty much a dope and none should be taken very seriously. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know he has the proven stats from before 2021, but I can totally see how last season’s red flags have scared the Sox off.  

Conforto has always been kind of up and down. Regardless, one thing that is undeniable imo is that he is better than what they have out there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

fathom, how do you even find these people lol?

given the "influencers" that exist on WST, I pretty much just default that everyone there is pretty much a dope and none should be taken very seriously. 

Just different accounts that have been accurate on the past on things, some major and others simple things like injury updates.  This rbh account has been known for a while to possible have sources.

See, while everyone else is angry and upset now I was over that weeks ago because I already knew the Sox would do nothing. 

I've also accepted that Kimbrel will be on the team; it will be another miss for the insiders. Picking up the contract never made any sense; picking it up thinking that it somehow had surplus value that would make him a valuable trade piece made even less sense. If they move him, it will be for nothing.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong about both things, but I've accepted the reality long ago and see no reason in getting upset about it. 

Ready to hope our guys can overcome the ineptitude of the front office and play some great baseball.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

See, while everyone else is angry and upset now I was over that weeks ago because I already knew the Sox would do nothing. 

I've also accepted that Kimbrel will be on the team; it will be another miss for the insiders. Picking up the contract never made any sense; picking it up thinking that it somehow had surplus value that would make him a valuable trade piece made even less sense. If they move him, it will be for nothing.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong about both things, but I've accepted the reality long ago and see no reason in getting upset about it. 

Ready to hope our guys can overcome the ineptitude of the front office and play some great baseball.

Yea I don't know how anybody that watched him on the Sox last year thought he had surplus value. But it's one thing for fans to think that, it's another to think that when you're talking to your peers every single day as a GM.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If their ACT is over 32, tuition is free.

Right, they went to an elite Catholic school in Portland, I know the son had 800 on Math SAT and their mom’s from ATL/Peachtree City.  That makes a lot more sense, because that family all went to Northwestern, Princeton, Iowa Dental School.

It’s like my plan for my son to eventually study in the US (first grade now in China), change to US citizenship…then attend Tsinghua or Jiao Tong/Shanghai as an intl student, which are sort of like Chinese versions of Cal Tech and MIT, for about $3000 USD.  Then go to grad school anywhere in the world and pick up Spanish as third language somewhere in there.

There are hundreds of thousands of students all fighting to get into those universities, with everything riding on one exam, the infamous 12th grade Gao Kao that makes or breaks your entire future, essentially.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well the Sox have "won" the offseason before and done jack shit so....no I'm still pissed about Kimbrel being on this team.  That is a damn epic fail by Hahn in not understanding his value.  

I did not see Hahn's earlier press conference that people refer to but I wonder who he was smiling about when someone asked him if there was a particular target he was going for??

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Unless 2-3 big market teams just happen to have major injuries or bullpens imploding in the early season…and Kimbrel is both healthy and performing well.  Wouldn’t want to put odds on all those things breaking the Sox way, though.

Just now, wegner said:

Well the Sox have "won" the offseason before and done jack shit so....no I'm still pissed about Kimbrel being on this team.  That is a damn epic fail by Hahn in not understanding his value.  

I did not see Hahn's earlier press conference that people refer to but I wonder who he was smiling about when someone asked him if there was a particular target he was going for??

Daniel Fernando Tatis, 15 year old  motorcycle daredevil and likely unable to hit worse than Elijah even if blindfolded.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

The organization as a whole acted like a team that will be sold in the next 2-3 seasons 

Sure feels that way. What better way than having your first competitive era in forever to drive popularity and limiting financial liabilities to a minimum. 

• Quin locked this topic