69 Cubs or 22 Sox?

Texsox

1969 was not a disappointment for me, but it is something Cub fans of that generation never got over. They didn't just think their team was great, they thought it was the greatest of all time. They had their entire infield on the All-Star team. Ken Holtzman threw a no-hitter. Everyone seemed to be having a career year. Then they lost it to a lesser team.

Should the 2022 team rank that high as a disappointment, or did we just over-estimate them?

52 minutes ago, Texsox said:

By the end of the season one of these teams will reign supreme as the most disappointing team in Chicago baseball history. 

Fast, hard, crash or a season long debacle? 

69 Cubs by far. They blew an 8 game lead late in the season. With multiple HOF players in the team. 

If the Sox continue like this, they were never in it.

• Like 1

The 2022 Sox were not built to win from the beginning as there were gaping holes at second base and right field plus no replacement for the loss of Rodon. In that respect they cannot be considered a monumental disappointment like the 69 Cubs as they were in first place for 5+ months and really blew the division title though the Mets did play like crazy in the last 6 weeks to overtake the Flubs

The 1963,1964, 1965, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1983, 1993, 2000, 2008, 2020 and 2021 Sox teams were bigger disappointments for me than 2022 Sox. Yes some did win a division but fell flat on their faces in the playoffs.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Highland said:

1969 was not a disappointment for me, but it is something Cub fans of that generation never got over. They didn't just think their team was great, they thought it was the greatest of all time. They had their entire infield on the All-Star team. Ken Holtzman threw a no-hitter. Everyone seemed to be having a career year. Then they lost it to a lesser team.

Should the 2022 team rank that high as a disappointment, or did we just over-estimate them?

the Mets had Tom Seaver and Koosman on the top of their rotation, and they won the World Series against a better Orioles team, Cubs blew an 8 game lead in August, but it was not to a lesser team

Edited by kgrittenburg

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

By the end of the season one of these teams will reign supreme as the most disappointing team in Chicago baseball history. 

Fast, hard, crash or a season long debacle? 

Fast hard crash will always be a ball buster and remembered longer as a huge collapse . Lots of teams have disappointing seasons when expected to contend .

I think this team is more like the 1984 White Sox than any other Sox team they have been compared. Huge expectations. TLR in the dugout. Can't hit. Can't catch, can't pitch when they have to pitch. IIRC, they started slowly, won a bit at the All Star break. Got a game or two over .500 and I think were in first place, before they started playing like they played most of the season again. 

• Like 1

1981 was also a disappointment as the Sox were playing great ball and were a game out of 1st place when the players went on strike. I was at the last game as the Sox beat the Yankees.

The season started up again in August and MLB decided to have a split season so the Sox got screwed losing the first half by that 1 game. They didn't play well the second half and were never a factor.

18 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

2003 White Sox are the most disappointing team in franchise history. They had much more talent than this team.

I'll take 2006 over 2003 in terms of more talent/more disappointment. They won 90 games and came in 3rd place. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In 2022, they would have been a wild card team.

They had a bunch of years in the GO GO era that would have been WC teams including 63, 64 and 65, those were the 3 best consecutive seasons victory wise in Sox history, they won 94, 98 and 95 games in those 3 years, finished second to the Yankees twice and then the Twins, what else is new.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, zisk said:

My favorite team of all time. 

1959 is still mine but for pure fun at the old ballpark, 1977 was the best. I guess that's why you picked Zisk as your screen name.

Do you remember the July 31 double header when in the first game the Sox came back and won the game on a walk off single by Ralph Garr in the 10th inning to go 6.5 games up on the Royals. Over 50,000 in the park and the place was shaking, I saw a lot of games at old Comiskey but never was the place as crazy and as loud as it was when the Sox pulled that game out. We were going for the 4 game sweep in game 2 but the Royals salvaged a split of the DH. The next week in KC the Royals swept the Sox and a storybook season unraveled after that series.

• Fire 1

On 7/6/2022 at 10:52 AM, ptatc said:

69 Cubs by far. They blew an 8 game lead late in the season. With multiple HOF players in the team. 

If the Sox continue like this, they were never in it.

Mega ditto. No one out there gives a karp about the 22 non-compete Sox. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I'll take 2006 over 2003 in terms of more talent/more disappointment. They won 90 games and came in 3rd place. 

It's close. 2006 coming off World Series hype but 2003 star power gives the edge to me. You had Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Carl Everett, Robbie Alomar, Mark Buehrle, Bartolo Colon, and Esteban Loaiza who started the all star game. Then on top of that you had Joe Crede, Jose Valentin, Sandy Alomar, John Garland and Aaron Rowand and two of the best relievers in the game in Flash Gordon and Damaso Marte. Absolutely loaded roster with big names top to bottom... aside from never acquiring a 5th starter and Konerko sucking...and they win somehow only win 85 games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's close. 2006 coming off World Series hype but 2003 star power gives the edge to me. You had Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Carl Everett, Robbie Alomar, Mark Buehrle, Bartolo Colon, and Esteban Loaiza who started the all star game. Then on top of that you had Joe Crede, Jose Valentin, Sandy Alomar, John Garland and Aaron Rowand and two of the best relievers in the game in Flash Gordon and Damaso Marte. Absolutely loaded roster with big names top to bottom... aside from never acquiring a 5th starter and Konerko sucking...and they win somehow only win 85 games.

I get it, but the 2002 White Sox were fairly mediocre, 2003 wasn't a total surprise but in 2005 you obviously won it all...2006 brought back basically the entire same team. The major difference was you replaced Aaron Rowand with an incredibly hyped-up 1st Round pick in Anderson, and replaced Carl Everett with Jim Fucking Thome.

The pitching staff just couldn't handle it.