2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

South Carolina didn't pursue him because the staff was informed that Galanie would sign for whatever offered. I'm sure he'll be headed to pro ball.

~Excerpt from our SC forums. So that is one that will sign, despite the commit to Tenersee.

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

Number 479 on the ba500

Nishida is an outlier in many ways in the 2023 draft class. It starts with his physique, which is one of the smallest in the class—high school or college—at just 5-foot-6, 150 pounds. Next is his setup at the plate, where he starts with an extremely open stance before taking a large leg kick to get back toward an even setup. He’s very active in the box and will constantly shuffle his feet and move back toward the catcher or further up in the box toward the pitcher in the middle of a delivery. Despite all the moving parts, Nishida has excellent pure bat-to-ball skills and struck out at just an 8.7% rate through 63 games, while slashing .312/.394/.443. His overall miss rate was just 16%. Nishida has 20-grade raw power and will be more likely to bunt for a hit than hit a ball over the fence in pro ball. He is an expert at bunting, and has plus speed that could allow a slap-and-dash approach to be viable when paired with his contact ability. He’s an aggressive base runner who went 25-for-33 (75.8%) in stolen base attempts this spring and scouts praise both his defensive ability at second base and his overall instincts on the diamond. The list of successful big leaguers at Nishida’s size is exceedingly small, and because of that he faces an uphill battle and is unlikely to command anything greater than day three draft stock.

So... We coulda just got Madrigal in the 11th round?

• Love 1

seems like the UTenn media a little bummed after thinking they escaped without Galanie or Dickey didn't go top 10 rounds. Thought this was interesting from Rocky Top Insider:

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2023/07/11/chicago-white-sox-draft-tennessee-transfer-commit-ryan-galanie/

The question for Galanie is whether he will use his final season of college eligibility at Tennessee or forego his final collegiate season to start his college career.

Galanie told RTI that his dream is to play in the MLB earlier this month but that he wanted a fair signing bonus that wasn’t taking advantage of him.

“If I feel like I’m being taken advantage of at all— in the position I’m in now I’m a right-handed corner infielder that can hit a little bit. I’m a mid major guy that’s old,” Galanie said. “There’s not a whole lot of leverage and there’s definitely area for me to get taken advantage of a little bit by organizations so if I feel like I’m being taken advantage of I don’t plan on signing because all I want is fair value and I’ve been told I have the possibility to be a money saver guy on the second day. That’s kind of what I’m expecting but if I feel like it’s gone from money saver to taking advantage of me I don’t want to be a part of that. I want to be looking forward to going somewhere like Tennessee.”

The 11-20 round selections don’t come with assigned slot values, though any money spent over $150,000* for those players will come out of the bonus pool. These dynamics are why you will often see college seniors with little leverage sign for significantly less than slot value in rounds 5-10, and high school players with more leverage sign for larger amounts after the 10th round.

Moved to $150,000 this year!

8 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

The 11-20 round selections don’t come with assigned slot values, though any money spent over $150,000* for those players will come out of the bonus pool. These dynamics are why you will often see college seniors with little leverage sign for significantly less than slot value in rounds 5-10, and high school players with more leverage sign for larger amounts after the 10th round.

Moved to $150,000 this year!

good call

So here are my thoughts now mostly thru the draft:

- One thing I did not like about Shirleys first 2020 and 2021 drafts that featured a lot of 'punted' top ten picks to afford some high cost high schoolers was it coincided with some very small intl classes from Paddy at the same time. This year, Paddy added a large class of 17 year olds, many of which in DSL. This draft is mostly College Juniors, with one HS and one CCer. That makes a lot more sense in balancing the load where the college kids have runway in Kanny while the DSL kids can own the DSL/ACL spaces together.

- I still am not very positive about Jacob Gonzalez or Grant Taylor. For Taylor, I think he's a great talent, I'm just not a huge fan of drafting injured pitchers unless they showed dominance prior. For Gonzalez, I actually think he has more upside than people state - I just feel like the sox are going be screwed on that swing. But I'm more positive than many of the bad commentary on Gonzalez.

- There is a lot of LH hitting added, which is nice.

- There is a lot of commentary that the position players are smart baserunners, hard workers, while not showy leaders. The showy leaders have been fools gold recently. 

- A lot of weak armed outfielders, but good range. Probably better than a lot of our "good arm but actually their knees are connected straight into their hip" outfielders.

Overall, for as hyped as this class was, I sure wish our 15th pick had worked out differently. But it was a nice, well rounded class bringing in some guys who seem smart and some stuff to dream on. Like big dreams, not like "the guy plays water polo!" dreams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Number 479 on the ba500

Nishida is an outlier in many ways in the 2023 draft class. It starts with his physique, which is one of the smallest in the class—high school or college—at just 5-foot-6, 150 pounds. Next is his setup at the plate, where he starts with an extremely open stance before taking a large leg kick to get back toward an even setup. He’s very active in the box and will constantly shuffle his feet and move back toward the catcher or further up in the box toward the pitcher in the middle of a delivery. Despite all the moving parts, Nishida has excellent pure bat-to-ball skills and struck out at just an 8.7% rate through 63 games, while slashing .312/.394/.443. His overall miss rate was just 16%. Nishida has 20-grade raw power and will be more likely to bunt for a hit than hit a ball over the fence in pro ball. He is an expert at bunting, and has plus speed that could allow a slap-and-dash approach to be viable when paired with his contact ability. He’s an aggressive base runner who went 25-for-33 (75.8%) in stolen base attempts this spring and scouts praise both his defensive ability at second base and his overall instincts on the diamond. The list of successful big leaguers at Nishida’s size is exceedingly small, and because of that he faces an uphill battle and is unlikely to command anything greater than day three draft stock.

John Cangelosi

Interesting, rough story on Mikey Kane our 17th rounder. Has some interest in D1 baseball out of high school but with COVID rule he loses his spots as Seniors stay. He goes to College of the Canyons juco to play but they cancel the season for his first year. He finally plays the next year and gets recruited to Oregon State. He had an ok year, but shows the weird ass careers some of these guys had to navigate.

He's a big boy at 6'3. Would be cool if he becomes a late bloomer.

19th round pick Caden Connor

A 6-foot-1, 200-pound senior first baseman, Connor is a solid senior sign target in the 2023 class with a line drive swing from the left side and hard contact. He’s hit for average and shown solid plate discipline throughout his college career, though he’s never shown the sort of in-game power you’d like to see for a first base profile. In 2023 he hit .329/.415/.502 with five home runs, 20 doubles, a 13.1% strikeout rate and an 11.6% walk rate. He is a good defender around the first base bag, with solid instincts, but defensive aptitude at the bottom of the defensive spectrum only means so much when you don’t slug—and through 171 career games Connor has just nine home runs to his name. He has played the outfield corners, so potentially he could fit there, where his power might matter a bit less.

The notable thing here is he was announced as an OF when drafted. 

• bmags unpinned this topic