Sure, David Peralta will solve everything

CentralChamps21

13 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Forget what I said in the other thread. Don't make a damn move at all. Not with this administration. Jesus Christ...

I’m at this point. Maybe grab a foille warm body pen arms for very little return just to keep the pen afloat. But this team doesn’t deserve any reinforcement that will cost a top 10 prospect and Hahn frankly doesn’t deserve another chance. Let a new GM sort this mess out this winter.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RJSox_22 said:

Hasn’t had a single at bat as a Right Fielder since 12 ABs in 2018.  But he’s probably better than a AAA quality first baseman.  

I would rather play Pollock in RF, Vaughn in LF , Eloy DH every day

Doesn’t seem that complicated, yet we’ve seen that set up what…once or twice all season? It’s fucking baffling. 

41 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

He hasn't played RF since 2018 so it's on brand for the Sox.

Might as well wave the white flag and start over, again! I give up on this organization! Yea, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!!

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m at this point. Maybe grab a foille warm body pen arms for very little return just to keep the pen afloat. But this team doesn’t deserve any reinforcement that will cost a top 10 prospect and Hahn frankly doesn’t deserve another chance. Let a new GM sort this mess out this winter.

We need to add some reinforcements.  This team still has a great shot at making the playoffs despite being completely lifeless at times.  That being said, I would focus on relatively cheap rentals to minimize any long-term risk.  For that reason, someone like Gallo makes a ton of sense.  Throw in a couple relievers and just hope a light awakens at some point with this group.  If not, massive changes are needed this winter from top to bottom.

This is fine.  He will cost nothing and will be an upgrade.  

It is better than trading something of actual value for a player seemingly slightly better and marginally more likely to actually perform better over the remaining 63 games... leading to an unmeasurably small increase in chances of winning the league or the world series. 

Go crazy at the top of the trade market or add nothing burgers.  The in-between is the spot you can actually go wrong.

Edited by GREEDY

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We need to add some reinforcements.  This team still has a great shot at making the playoffs despite being completely lifeless at times.  That being said, I would focus on relatively cheap rentals to minimize any long-term risk.  For that reason, someone like Gallo makes a ton of sense.  Throw in a couple relievers and just hope a light awakens at some point with this group.  If not, massive changes are needed this winter from top to bottom.

What’s the price on these couple relievers? I don’t want to do a Pilkington type deal where it seems like we give up very little then the guy is in the big leagues in a year and contributing to someone else when they could be in our bullpen or our 6th starter.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What’s the price on these couple relievers? I don’t want to do a Pilkington type deal where it seems like we give up very little then the guy is in the big leagues in a year and contributing to someone else when they could be in our bullpen or our 6th starter.

Don’t know, but I’m not fully punting on a season where still have a great shot at making the playoffs.  Will need to take some small gambles.  Playoff revenue alone is worth taking a measured buying approach at the deadline.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t know, but I’m not fully punting on a season where still have a great shot at making the playoffs.  Will need to take some small gambles.  Playoff revenue alone is worth taking a measured buying approach at the deadline.

I could get behind that, I just don’t see how you get decent pitchers without giving something decent up.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Pilkington is the perfect example of our FO not understanding mlb trends (or being extremely late adopters). With 2020 interrupting pitching development, non-impact mlb-ready SP rose in value. Teams like Minny & Cle took advantage last year, the Sox decided to focus on it in the draft.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As a fan, I could care less about playoff revenue because it's not going to get the team a better manager, FO, staff, or players. We're going to fall short. Because the White Sox like many sports teams around here half-ass everything. "Let's get some young cheap players and instead of signing or trading for players to take us over the top, we'll get over the top by using hopes and dreams"

Everyone poops on Ricketts, but he actually spent when it was time to. He went out and got Lester and Hayward. Meanwhile, the White Sox sign Machado's high school team to try to shave a significant amount of guaranteed money off of his deal.

• Hawk 1

If he costs little to acquire, I don't think it's terrible. He's actually been very good defensively in LF the past few years. He hasn't played RF since 2018 though. As a strict platoon RF, I think he can solve a few issues on the team. He doesn't move the needle too much, but he also shouldn't cost a lot to trade for. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We got Tepera for Bailey Horn.  That would be the type of deal I’d go for.

I get that, but IMO the problems are far deeper with this team. Lance Lynn gets lit up, bullpen doesn't matter against an historically weak offense. Sox can't score against a journeyman pitcher. I was holding out hope, but last night did it for me. The TA behavior was icing on the cake. I love him as a player, but he is trending in the wrong direction as far as being a winner and team guy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that, but IMO the problems are far deeper with this team. Lance Lynn gets lit up, bullpen doesn't matter against an historically weak offense. Sox can't score against a journeyman pitcher. I was holding out hope, but last night did it for me. The TA behavior was icing on the cake. I love him as a player, but he is trending in the wrong direction as far as being a winner and team guy.

They could readily win the AL Central despite all these problems, and there’s benefits to that in terms of playoff ticket and ad sales and ticket package and ad renewals for next year even if they’re out in the wild card round. A couple moves that help do so are ok. 

But they can’t beat the Yankees or Astros when those teams are trying. It’s ok to take a few steps towards this division, I just don’t want to see them costing a win or two next year to do so, as with some coaching changes there are ways for this team to snap back in ‘23.

Of course, the coaching staff probably stays the same if they make the playoffs, so blah.

• Like 1

One point to take note of is that at least Gallo knows the A.L. pitchers, and Peralta does not. A N.L. player coming to the Sox. We've seen that movie before. On the other hand, it should also be noted that Peralta has hit A.L. pitching well, in limited Inter League play, this year.

Edited by Lillian

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

One point to take note of is that at least Gallo knows the A.L. pitchers, and Peralta does not. A N.L. player coming to the Sox. We've seen that movie before. On the other hand, it should also be noted that Peralta has hit A.L. pitching well, in limited Inter League play, this year.

I just don't see how coming to the Sox will get Gallo out of over a year long slump. It seems coming to the Sox puts you in  slump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

instead of signing or trading for players to take us over the top

We have a 1% chance at winning the world series.

You could unload our entire farm system and our chances wouldn't change tangibly.  There are no "over the top" moves available for 2022 imho. 

Edited by GREEDY

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just don't see how coming to the Sox will get Gallo out of over a year long slump. It seems coming to the Sox puts you in  slump.

If the Sox are at all interested in Gallo this offseason, and he is available for essentially nothing, I think it makes sense to take a test drive.  Him taking opportunity away from first basement trying to play RF is ok by me. 

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last night partially broke me, but then I looked at the scoreboard and saw that the Twins last as well.  The AL Central is terrible and may allow a massively underachieving team access to the playoffs.  I agree our chances of winning a World Series are very low even if we make the playoffs, but you never know once you get there and it’s possible our team gets hot at just the right time.  To give up some fringe prospects in a bottom five system to increase our shot at making them is worth it IMO.  But I wouldn’t want Hahn to trade Montgomery for Montas or something like that.

Since the Sox are going to have to gamble on guys beginning to perform up to their historical records and expectations, might as well add another one in Gallo. His upside is greater than Peralta's, even if the probability of his realizing it is low. Adding Peralta to his under achieving roster won't move the needle. Moncada, Eloy and Grandal have got to provide the production that was expected, or no affordable addition is going to overcome that failure. I'm almost to the point of saying; "who cares?"

Edited by Lillian

13 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

If the Sox are at all interested in Gallo this offseason, and he is available for essentially nothing, I think it makes sense to take a test drive.  Him taking opportunity away from first basement trying to play RF is ok by me. 

The white Sox are at a spot where they should not be making moves like that. The white Sox should be adding pieces to get them over the top. The Royals and Tigers should be signing guys like Gallo because if they bust there’s no loss as they weren’t ready to compete anyway, and if they succeed they can be dealt for useful pieces under control. Like why the DBacks picked up Keuchel. That makes sense for the White Sox if they have to trade away Hendriks and others in the offseason to cut payroll and aim for 2024.

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would like to know, for science, what happens when an already slumping player joins the Sox. Spontaneous combustion? Turn into a werewolf?

We deserve to know.

• Haha 1

You hear the Sox want all the top names in the offseaon and now, but look at who they got in the offseason,  a who's who of why, I thought you were trying to win championships. Now they mentioned how aggressive they are, but the names they are linked , Peralta and Quintana,  are more of the same. The team obviously won't spend the money and doesn't have the prospect capital to fix this right now.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Quin locked this topic