07/31 - A's @ White Sox, 1:10 PM CT

Quin

The Sox won and are once again at the fabled .500 mark, but last game's vibes can be summed up as this:

73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-be

Pitching for the White Sox:

dylan-cease-getty.png

Dylan Cease: 10-4, 2.03, 154 K

In the AL, Cease is 4th in fWAR, 3rd in ERA, and 2nd in strikeouts. Dylan's been great, but he wasn't an All-Star, because the White Sox have to win games by the skin of their teeth against All-Stars like the A's Paul Blackburn, who if you read yesterday's gamethread, you'll realize is basically the most average pitcher possible.

adam-oller-USATSI_18079001.jpg

Adam Oller: 1-3, 8.07 ERA, 22K

Listen, like Dylan Cease, Adam Oller is a RHP with a fairly notable mustache. After that, he sucks. My lord, if the Sox lose to this guy and can't break .500, it should be considered a crime.

Anyway, let the Dylan Cease Cy Young campaign continue.

Dylan-Cease-Chicago-White-Sox-1-1024x682

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

First game in person since I moved back to Chicago.   Thank god Cease will be on the mound.  Hopefully today is an absolute bloodbath.

The only bloodbath will be the ST game thread if the offense disappears for 2/3rd's of the game again.

• Like 1

With a win today the Sox can finish July 15-11 . Need to do better in August. Much better. Let's see if we are getting any help .

My priorities 2 LH bats . Sox could've won a lot more games with a few more runs and HR's. However, never can have enough pitching.

Going all Jay Cuda on you here. In games where the Sox and their opponent scores 5 or less runs, ( What I call Hockey score games) the Sox are 30-17 . There obviously can't be any 5-5 ties so all scores are of the 5-4, 4-3 ,3-1, 4-0 ( you get the picture) nature. Home Record in these games is 14-10, Road Record 16-7 , so even with the crap defense and crap hitting the Sox are at their best winning low scoring games. That means the pitching is carrying them to wins despite what we are seeing from Lucas, Lynn, the departed Keuchel and the up and down BP

In any game where the Sox or the opponent score 6+ runs the Sox are 20-33 . This is where the Sox lose a lot of run differential and games.

So the hitting and pitching is good enough to win low scoring games but when the pitching is bad the Sox don't have nearly enough offense to make up for it. Higher scoring games the Sox lose often. Basically means the Sox need more offense and more pitching but we all feel better scoring more runs keeping games close, balancing the line up and hitting more bombs.

If Gavin Sheets and Jake Burger are you leading HR's hitters at home you are in big trouble. You have offensive problems at home and also means Sheets and Burger have hit no home runs on the road yet our home record sucks and our road record is OK. Losing at home  is basically all on the cores inability to hit at home especially HR's.

Before I did all this I have been insisting the Sox get 2 more LH bats, 1 starter and 1 more reliever and the core has to do better. Tall order for a team that probably doesn't have enough pieces to get 4 decent players and you would think if getting 4 pieces was going to happen they would have got at least 1 of them by now. If they want to improve this year they have to play the rental market. They can't afford anyone with an extra year.

Maybe you can do without an Ian Happ but only if the Sox can get Joey Wendle , Martin Perez and a good LH BP piece like Matt Moore and better hitting from the core. Then just hang in there long enough to see if Colas can give the Sox better defense and more LH pop especially at home if he can continue to produce in the minors and come up Sept. 12.

Happ and Perez would cost the most. Eliminate Happ.  If the Sox are going to make a trade for starting pitching Castillo is gone and Perez is the best available SP the Sox can realistically afford. It won't be Rodon, Montas, Mahle or Syndergaard because they don't have the pieces to get them and Perez has been better than all those guys along with pitching great against the Astros, Rays and Mariners. No starts against the Yankees.

It would also prevent Minnesota from possibly trading for him. Perez also instantly becomes your #2 starter behind Cease. Despite what anyone thinks of his career before this year he's been almost as good as Cease has been this year, 2.52 ERA and 3.07 FIP. Snagging him as a rental could hurt.

With the upcoming 3 game suspension Wendle can fill in at SS .Otherwise he would be the strong side of a platoon with Harrison . This also take away AB's from Leury.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

This matchup reminds me of the Sox (Sale) vs the Braves in 2016 and Houston (Verlander) vs the Tigers in 2019. The latter was possibly the biggest betting favorite ever. The former was also a huge betting favorite for the Sox. Both Sale and Verlander got beat. 

39 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

this SHOULD be an easy victory but we know how our hitters will score 1-2 runs against AAA trash pitching

Should be because I can't see the A's breaking through against Cease unless he has a real bad day. But this offense just isn't very good so this can be a close game.

39 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This matchup reminds me of the Sox (Sale) vs the Braves in 2016 and Houston (Verlander) vs the Tigers in 2019. The latter was possibly the biggest betting favorite ever. The former was also a huge betting favorite for the Sox. Both Sale and Verlander got beat. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

With a win today the Sox can finish July 15-11 . Need to do better in August. Much better. Let's see if we are getting any help .

My priorities 2 LH bats . Sox could've won a lot more games with a few more runs and HR's. However, never can have enough pitching.

Going all Jay Cuda on you here. In games where the Sox and their opponent scores 5 or less runs, ( What I call Hockey score games) the Sox are 30-17 . There obviously can't be any 5-5 ties so all scores are of the 5-4, 4-3 ,3-1, 4-0 ( you get the picture) nature. Home Record in these games is 14-10, Road Record 16-7 , so even with the crap defense and crap hitting the Sox are at their best winning low scoring games. That means the pitching is carrying them to wins despite what we are seeing from Lucas, Lynn, the departed Keuchel and the up and down BP

In any game where the Sox or the opponent score 6+ runs the Sox are 20-33 . This is where the Sox lose a lot of run differential and games.

So the hitting and pitching is good enough to win low scoring games but when the pitching is bad the Sox don't have nearly enough offense to make up for it. Higher scoring games the Sox lose often. Basically means the Sox need more offense and more pitching but we all feel better scoring more runs keeping games close, balancing the line up and hitting more bombs.

If Gavin Sheets and Jake Burger are you leading HR's hitters at home you are in big trouble. You have offensive problems at home and also means Sheets and Burger have hit no home runs on the road yet our home record sucks and our road record is OK. Losing at home  is basically all on the cores inability to hit at home especially HR's.

Before I did all this I have been insisting the Sox get 2 more LH bats, 1 starter and 1 more reliever and the core has to do better. Tall order for a team that probably doesn't have enough pieces to get 4 decent players and you would think if getting 4 pieces was going to happen they would have got at least 1 of them by now. If they want to improve this year they have to play the rental market. They can't afford anyone with an extra year.

Maybe you can do without an Ian Happ but only if the Sox can get Joey Wendle , Martin Perez and a good LH BP piece like Matt Moore and better hitting from the core. Then just hang in there long enough to see if Colas can give the Sox better defense and more LH pop especially at home if he can continue to produce in the minors and come up Sept. 12.

Happ and Perez would cost the most. Eliminate Happ.  If the Sox are going to make a trade for starting pitching Castillo is gone and Perez is the best available SP the Sox can realistically afford. It won't be Rodon, Montas, Mahle or Syndergaard because they don't have the pieces to get them and Perez has been better than all those guys along with pitching great against the Astros, Rays and Mariners. No starts against the Yankees.

It would also prevent Minnesota from possibly trading for him. Perez also instantly becomes your #2 starter behind Cease. Despite what anyone thinks of his career before this year he's been almost as good as Cease has been this year, 2.52 ERA and 3.07 FIP. Snagging him as a rental could hurt.

With the upcoming 3 game suspension Wendle can fill in at SS .Otherwise he would be the strong side of a platoon with Harrison . This also take away AB's from Leury.

I don't disagree at all but a good LH bat has been needed for seemingly forever. It's obvious the front office doesn't believe it's important enough. I don't understand it, but it hasn't changed in a decade so why would it now?

How much is too much to give up to increase the marginal chance this garbage team wins 1 playoff series?  I wouldn’t give up much and they don’t have much.  This regime’s long history of prospect overpays (Semien, Tatis, etc) has me very wary about what they will give up.  And their poor acquisition history has me wary of who they will get (Shields, Swisher, Smardzjia, Yonder, Cesar, etc.). Hence, I am rooting for them to stand pat.

The Sox are facing the worst team in the American league trotting out a guy with an 8 plus era, with thier ace on the mound and I have absolutely zero confidence in thier ability to win this game... such is this 2022 season

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

How much is too much to give up to increase the marginal chance this garbage team wins 1 playoff series?  I wouldn’t give up much and they don’t have much.  This regime’s long history of prospect overpays (Semien, Tatis, etc) has me very wary about what they will give up.  And their poor acquisition history has me wary of who they will get (Shields, Swisher, Smardzjia, Yonder, Cesar, etc.). Hence, I am rooting for them to stand pat.

How much is standing pat going to help , this year or in future years ? Unless you think the Sox are going to fire TLR, Hahn and the whole coaching staff and all the strength and conditioning coaches for the 2nd year in a row you're still stuck with hoping the same guys make better moves in the off season.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I don't disagree at all but a good LH bat has been needed for seemingly forever. It's obvious the front office doesn't believe it's important enough. I don't understand it, but it hasn't changed in a decade so why would it now?

It's the most obvious need but Happ is going to cost a lot having that extra year which is why I said forget him and see if Colas is ready in Sept.If someone wants Vaughn or Eloy then maybe the Sox cant get someone they need but no one really wants to trade Eloy or Vaughn . If some of those pitchers the Sox are rumored in on are actually serious considerations then Happ should also be a serious consideration.

SHould be interesting to see what happens but I'd be shocked if they get anyone of consequence. And if they do, wooo, it'll be a madhouse around here.

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's the most obvious need but Happ is going to cost a lot having that extra year which is why I said forget him and see if Colas is ready in Sept.

How is Happ at 2b? would be a good fit next season if Colas is ready for right.