Moncada

Unknown

I would have a lot more respect for Yoan if he toned down his flair and swagger a bit and realized he is not playing well. It’s all okay and even fun if you’re playing well but you just look like a poster boy for what’s wrong with professional sports and long term contracts if you’re not.

Having said that Moncada has zero confidence at the plate. It’s obvious. He’s guessing, looking only for that one pitch he feels he can hit. If that is on him or the hitting coach or a physical issue, I will let others debate but it’s not going to change if we keep trotting him out there to fail.

As much as we need his left handed bat and defense, drop him in the order.

4 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

His BABIP is still 90 points below his career average. 

Somehow his exit velocity has actually gone down since the last time I looked, now in the bottom 26% of the big leagues. His line drive rate is the lowest of his career. His expected batting average based on his contact profile right now is .208, almost right in line with his actual average. His BABIP is low compared to his career value because his contact is so weak. For a guy making this weak of contact a .263 BABIP is not shocking or unreasonable.

• Like 2

And where did he lose his ability to actually run? In his last 250 major league games he has 3 SBs. In the minors he stole 30+ per year, The prior 250 games he had over 20, and its not like your years 25-27 should make you slower, those are your peak physical years.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

And where did he lose his ability to actually run? In his last 250 major league games he has 3 SBs. In the minors he stole 30+ per year, The prior 250 games he had over 20, and its not like your years 25-27 should make you slower, those are your peak physical years.

5B9C16FD-9B70-453C-8ADE-5C1AF08ADC3D.jpeg

21 minutes ago, tray said:

Too bad Vaughn is such a stiff defensively or he could have been a permanent replacement at 3rd.

Vaughn never played 3B in college, only two emergency appearances with the Sox.

Perhaps you are thinking of Burger, also such a stiff defensively, but who has played 3B throughout his career.

7 hours ago, Unknown said:

How do we rid ourselves of this bust? 

it's a gag because some of use were calling him an obvious bust over a year ago and were shamed for it, it's never been more obvious that he was a total bust and would never amount to anything. the biggest failure of Rick Hahn was to pay Moncada that much money. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good at walks and fielding which helped his fWar and OPS a lot. Despite the 15 Hr's he was still under .400 slugging for most of the year until a September push got it above .400.

Now he's only good at fielding, walk rate down , K's up, ISO and pretty much all offensive categories all down dramatically. Right now he's a -8.7 offensive fWar. Yas is even worse  -14.9 offensive fWar. To give you a little perspective while he was here, Reese McGuire was -9.2 offensive fWar .

like i said he has been lost this year... last year he was like #6 3b in WAR.

Burger looks much better at the plate - but his fielding was so bad it didn't matter.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I wonder if the Red Sox knew when they traded him.

A few weeks ago I read an article from his only Boson call up in Sept, 2016.  The coaching staff was frustrated with his numerous baserunning mistakes.  His season ended pretty quickly (8 games) for all the things he did so badly.  He couldn't even survive Sept call up as a very hot prospect.  I think that after over paying him that huge signing bonus, they were more than happy to let him go for Sale.  

At least he corrected his baserunning mistakes with our Sox by just not getting on base....problem solved!

• Fire 1

35 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

A few weeks ago I read an article from his only Boson call up in Sept, 2016.  The coaching staff was frustrated with his numerous baserunning mistakes.  His season ended pretty quickly (8 games) for all the things he did so badly.  He couldn't even survive Sept call up as a very hot prospect.  I think that after over paying him that huge signing bonus, they were more than happy to let him go for Sale.  

At least he corrected his baserunning mistakes with our Sox by just not getting on base....problem solved!

Makes you wonder if the Sox even scouted those 8 games or even how he looked in the minors or just did whatever the Sox did back then . If the W.Sox really wanted Devers instead but the R.Sox said no then they should have insisted the 3rd and 4th pieces be better. That way you might force the R.Sox hand and see just how badly they wanted to get rid of him. Like why are you wiling to give up Moncada but not Devers ? I don't know what Devers rank was at the time but there are ways to smell a rat in negotiations if you are shrewd enough and have some street savvy to go along with the Degrees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

That was right in the middle of pennant race pressure as a rookie...they quickly reduced he wasn't ready.  Way too many K's as would become obvious the next two seasons with the Sox.